Thread: Greed Strikes Occupy Wall Street - The battle over $500,000 bankroll

Greed Strikes Occupy Wall Street - The battle over $500,000 bankroll

[ Occupy Wall Street's Communist Central Planning Committee is turning into George Orwell's Animal Farm. ]]

Tensions grow at Occupy Wall Street as money and power struggles fester behind-the-scenes

NY Post
    October 23, 2011

Even in Zuccotti Park, greed is good.

Occupy Wall Street’s Finance Committee has nearly $500,000 in the bank, and donations continue to pour in -- but its reluctance to share the wealth with other protesters is fraying tempers.

Some drummers -- incensed they got no money to replace or safeguard their drums after a midnight vandal destroyed their instruments Wednesday -- are threatening to splinter off.

“F--k Finance. I hope Mayor Bloomberg gets an injunction and demands to see the movement’s books. We need to know how much money we really have and where it’s going,” said a frustrated Bryan Smith, 45, who joined OWS in Lower Manhattan nearly three weeks ago from Los Angeles, where he works in TV production.

Smith is a member of the Comfort Working Group -- one of about 30 small collectives that have sprung up within OWS. The Comfort group is charged with finding out what basic necessities campers need, like thermal underwear, and then raising money by soliciting donations on the street.

“The other day, I took in $2,000. I kept $650 for my group, and gave the rest to Finance. Then I went to them with a request -- so many people need things, and they should not be going without basic comfort items -- and I was told to fill out paperwork. Paperwork! Are they the government now?” Smith fumed, even as he cajoled the passing crowd for more cash.

The Finance Committee dives on whatever dollars are raised by all the OWS working groups, said Smith, and doesn’t give it back.

The Comfort group has an allowance of $150 a day, while larger working groups, like the Kitchen group, get up to $2,000.

“What can I do with $150?” said Smith. “We have three tons of wet laundry here from the rainstorm -- how do I get that done? We need winter gear, shoes, socks. I could spend $10,000 alone for backpacks people need. We raise all this money. Where is it?”

SOURCE:
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...aectFYkafMb8UJ
    Last edited by FrankRep; 10-23-2011 at 10:10 AM.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    All Animals are Equal. But some are more equal than others.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

It is kinda sad to see this protest fall apart. It was good until it wasn't. Maybe now folks will be ready to come home and focus and what the establishment doesn't want them to do and elect Ron Paul.
    "Every generation deserves to live free." ~Ron Paul
    "It's hard to be free, but when it works it sure is worth it." ~Janis Joplin

Heh. If they're getting tired of the bureaucracy and mismanagement, maybe they should get a mini internal free market going to help distribute the goods and wealth efficiently.

Oh the Irony.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    LOL. The keyword here is ANIMALS. That's what these people are. Who the hell has time to camp out near wall street for more than a month? People with no jobs.

I'm deeply saddened that they can't make a living creating psychadelic music or making sculptures out of human feces, but life is tough. I am also mad that white people with dreadlocks don't project a whole lot of credibility in job interviews. Power to the broke people.

Is this the end of the Wall Street camp? Protesters squabble over $500,000 as cold weather threatens to send them home
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-500-000.html
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    +rep. nice reference. Boy that happened fast!
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Smith is a member of the Comfort Working Group -- one of about 30 small collectives that have sprung up within OWS. The Comfort group is charged with finding out what basic necessities campers need, like thermal underwear, and then raising money by soliciting donations on the street.

“The other day, I took in $2,000. I kept $650 for my group, and gave the rest to Finance
    At least it is all voluntary. He should kept the money local (in his group) and used it. Guess he is learning the benefits of keeping things local and small. Good lesson to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    At least it is all voluntary. He should kept the money local (in his group) and used it. Guess he is learning the benefits of keeping things local and small. Good lesson to learn.
    Ha , ha , yes , lesson learned...

Hey Frank, in your propaganda piece you posted where people seem to be voluntarily contributing to a fund that they have little control over and are finding out a good lesson about the pitfalls of central control, why did you post a picture of protesters in California when this story is about New York? Did you get it from google images? I'm just curious because that happens to be my home-protest spot, and it is not in LA or any big cities.
    Last edited by dannno; 10-25-2011 at 11:09 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Hey Frank, in your propaganda piece you posted where people seem to be voluntarily contributing to a fund that they have little control over and are finding out a good lesson about the pitfalls of central control...
    Even then, these OWS financial planners are just pikers compared to the grifting some of these "tea party" people have pulled off.

If that part of NYC gets 20 inches of snow, which happened not too long ago, everyone will go home or die and this will be over. There groups will not have big events during the winter. The same happens every year with the 420 and Tea Party crowds.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.