Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Place to buy Silver with least Premium

Best Place to buy Silver with least Premium

I have been buying some from Apmex. Is there a better company then Apmex?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    nope.
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

If this guy would have let people know, it would have been him making a great deal with someone here.
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post3210057

Personally, I would go with APMEX.

If anyone's considering purchasing from eBay, do a little research about how much counterfeit stuff is being passed there these days, especially in coins. Scammers have learned that they can order cheap imitation stuff from China, then sell it for triple their cost.

If you are near a big city, you can usually beat apmex or other online dealers (especially after shipping is included). I live in chicago, and my local dealer was offering a 2.50 premium on eagles when spot was at $ 34. Bars were near 1.20 for 1 oz and around 80 cents for a 10 oz bar.

This is one example of prices for a Johnson Matthey 100 oz silver bar:
    APMEX - $1.59/oz over spot
    Golden Eagle Coins - $1.24/oz over spot
    Provident Metals - $1.09/oz over spot

If you buy this 100 oz bar at APMEX, you are paying $35 more for the same product than if you purchased it at Golden Eagle and $50 at Provident Metals.

Here's another example on a Pamp Suisse 1 oz gold bar:
    APMEX - $49.99 over spot
    Golden Eagle Coins - $33.00 over spot
    Provident Metals - $28.40 over spot

APMEX has one of the highest premiums on all their products when compared to other retail sites.
    Last edited by tsai3904; 04-15-2011 at 11:05 PM.

I ask some of the broker sites like Goldsilver.com why their commodity prices are higher than Apmex. Their reply is that they give advice on when to buy and sell. I told them buying is one thing and advice is service and combining them is not a good business model. Why pay more for silver when you can shop? No advantage to you. However, if advice is good and Goldsilver does have some good stuff, then offer it as a service sale. I would buy at Apmex.

What I say is for entertainment purposes only!

Mark 10:45 The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.

"If you want to make a lot of money, resist diversification." - Jim Rogers

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If you are buying in large quantities, check out tulving.com. They don't handle small sales, but have very competitive prices for large sales.

which dealer? i'm in chicago too
    Rand Benedict Paul.
    Not only did he sell us out, this douche bag did it to his own father! I'm more upset him selling his father out. I don't care who i think is going to win i would never sell my father out. If his willing to sell his father out what else is for sale?

Junk silver (90%) can usually be purchased at or a few pennies above spot. Junk has an added benefit of actually being official currency (easily identifiable). But the best place to buy is a local shop. Build a relationship with them so they recognize you when you come in.
    The guy that comes in weekly to buy will get to hear stories and can easily ask for and get a better price.
    Chicagoland has tons of coin shops. Shop around.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Personally, I would go with APMEX.

If anyone's considering purchasing from eBay, do a little research about how much counterfeit stuff is being passed there these days, especially in coins. Scammers have learned that they can order cheap imitation stuff from China, then sell it for triple their cost.
    Silver itself is pretty difficult to counterfeit. What can be done is that they can melt down some silver and coin it themselves into something which has numismatic value, but if you are buying a coin at its spot value then you should be alright as long as you know what silver looks and feels like. There could eventually be a point where people will possibly melt it down and cut it with another metal, but right now I don't think its profitable enough to do, especially with junk silver coins.

Quote Originally Posted by mojobo View Post
    Silver itself is pretty difficult to counterfeit. What can be done is that they can melt down some silver and coin it themselves into something which has numismatic value, but if you are buying a coin at its spot value then you should be alright as long as you know what silver looks and feels like. There could eventually be a point where people will possibly melt it down and cut it with another metal, but right now I don't think its profitable enough to do, especially with junk silver coins.

Yeah, bullion is one thing, but coins are quite another. Check out these links before you buy any silver coins on ebay:

http://www.startribune.com/business/119371484.html

http://coins.about.com/od/worldcoins...rfeiting-Ring/

http://dailypaul.com/84683/chinese-m...d-silver-coins

http://www.coinweek.com/news/video-n...ns-are-traded/

http://coins.about.com/od/goldrareco...coin_fraud.htm

http://www.coinweek.com/commentary/o...play-part-one/

The list goes on and on.... main words to live by are CAVEAT EMPTOR!!

Quote Originally Posted by psi2941 View Post
    which dealer? i'm in chicago too
    Chicago Coin Company, http://www.chicagocoin.com/. It is a small little shop, but they do a lot of bullion sales/purchases. Call them up before you go to check out prices, though.

Any good local coin shops in Dallas,Texas

I am really confused. Let's say one buys PAMP Suisse Gold Bars now and decide to sell it later on. Who will buy them back? local coin shops?

or is it best to simply invest in companies that mine gold?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartguy911 View Post
    ... Who will buy them back? local coin shops? ...
    Local coin shops, online bullion dealers, individuals (ebay, classified ads, etc.). The market for bullion is fairly liquid.

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Midas resources. Right now you can buy a silver dollar there for under spot and get a free copy of the Creature from Jekyll Island. Plus they have the Campaign for Liberty coin which is 1/4 ounce of gold for 390. While that's high, $100 of that goes to the CFL.

http://www.midasresources.com/store/store.php
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by mojobo View Post
    Thankfully Archimedes came up with a good and cheap way to test for such chicanery thousands of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Well if your buying coins as bullion, instead of trying to buy rare coins, counterfeits should be a problem right? Buy from a reputable dealer (hopefully he's familiar with Archimedes), and don't buy coins that are priced more than they are worth in metal. In fact that's really another kind of "fiat" currency. (The coins are worth a lot because people believe they are worth a lot). Hmm....I wonder if the Chinese have thought about counterfeiting Liberty Dollars yet? That would be ironic.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    I can't believe nobody's mentioned Midas resources. Right now you can buy a silver dollar there for under spot and get a free copy of the Creature from Jekyll Island. Plus they have the Campaign for Liberty coin which is 1/4 ounce of gold for 390. While that's high, $100 of that goes to the CFL.

Totally agree. We always harp and complain about there not being enough "Liberty Businesses" to which we can direct our resources when we want to make purchases, and then we ignore Midas Resources whose owner maxed out donations to Ron Paul, Rand Paul, started the Ron Paul Air Corps, runs GCN Live, FreeTalkLive and is a big supporter of the Campaign for Liberty.

Now that being said, I understand that prices must be competitive. I've bought from Midas, and the last time their price was *better* than APMEX for new Silver American Eagles.

Completely understand that price is a major concern, but if you can keep a bit of business in the liberty family, at least give them a call. I use Peter Kronschnabel at extension 108.

No, I have no financial interests whatsoever in recommending them other than I bet Ted Anderson will be a major supporter once again of Ron Paul's campaign.

http://www.midasresources.com/contact.php

Edit: Ted Anderson via Midas Resources also advertises (supports) Fox Business Network's FREEDOMWATCH.
    Last edited by Cowlesy; 04-17-2011 at 07:06 AM.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

//
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

I would suggest hitting up auctions (general consignment, estate sales or specialty coin auctions). I did a long thread on this awhile back which you could probably find but you can many times buy silver and gold for well under melt value by hitting the right auction at the right time and you can also find instances when you can find junk silver for next to nothing.
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    Totally agree. We always harp and complain about there not being enough "Liberty Businesses" to which we can direct our resources when we want to make purchases, and then we ignore Midas Resources whose owner maxed out donations to Ron Paul, Rand Paul, started the Ron Paul Air Corps, runs GCN Live, FreeTalkLive and is a big supporter of the Campaign for Liberty.

Now that being said, I understand that prices must be competitive. I've bought from Midas, and the last time their price was *better* than APMEX for new Silver American Eagles.

Completely understand that price is a major concern, but if you can keep a bit of business in the liberty family, at least give them a call. I use Peter Kronschnabel at extension 108.

No, I have no financial interests whatsoever in recommending them other than I bet Ted Anderson will be a major supporter once again of Ron Paul's campaign.

Edit: Ted Anderson via Midas Resources also advertises (supports) Fox Business Network's FREEDOMWATCH.
    Just talked to Peter at Midas. He says that the silver market is tight as a drum right now, and that the wait time is now 5-6 weeks for them. Their buy-price at the time I called was $48/oz, and they were selling for $52-$53. Looks like APMEX is shipping on May 13th at the moment, but I'd still go with Midas because they support Ron and C4L.

In fact, I got some C4L rounds coming my way. Pricey, but they're more collectors items than investments.

Would also check out provident metals, gainsville coins, midas resources.
    Sometimes the prices are cheaper.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Arklatex

It's tulving.com You won't get a lower price unless you have an million dollar account with Goldman Sachs.

Minimum purchase is 500 ozs.

llepard recommends him and I've ordered from him multiple times. Free shipping. Easy. A++

Thanks for the reminder. I had seen this offer posted around here before and had forgotten. I got mine in in the mail on Friday.

If anyone lives in Portland, Oregon I want to recommend Kristos (http://www.kristostrading.com/). I'm not associated with them in any way and I normally don't advertise for people....but after calling every dealer in town, these guys offered the best buy price around. I'll definitely be working with them in the future.
    "It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning." - Henry Ford

Advertise on craigslist that you will buy for $2 - $3 over spot depending on quantity.

People sell all the time through there.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshLowry View Post
    Advertise on craigslist that you will buy for $2 - $3 over spot depending on quantity.

People sell all the time through there.

Thanks for the tip Josh. I'll definitely checkout craigslist next time.
    "It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post

I just put in an order with Midas. Their price wasn't rock-bottom lowest, but they were in the same ball park and very friendly to deal with.

Nick Aguilar assisted me.
    1-800-686-2237 ext.112

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast