Thread: what do you think of junk silver?

what do you think of junk silver?

I'm going on my own "silver standard" as a hedge against inflation (and because I consider it real money). Junk silver is the most affordable way for me to do it right now. Would you suggest this as a good route or perhaps some other sort of silver? (I'm sticking with silver because gold is too pricey for us poor folk. It's the poor man's gold, ya know )
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Junk silver is easily recognizable, easy to weight proof, and hard to counterfeit. I like it better than any other form. IMO, of course.
    Follow my blog at http://tirelessagorist.blogspot.com/
    Current commentary from a libertarian/voluntaryist/agorist perspective.

Consistent Candidate - with Chainspell

Ron Paul Landslide by Jake Kellen - Constitution Mix

The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today.

Schiff_FTW

I've always been weary of it because it seems like the coins are worn down from years of circulation. I'd rather pay slightly more for uncirculated bullion.

It is very smart because in the event of a currency collapse going to market with Kruggerands will get you followed home.

Buy as much as you can on dips when prices go down.

very good move, HB! very, very good move!
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    very good move, HB! very, very good move!
    Thanks! I got a small bag of really nice coins for cheap on Amazon. I'm impressed with the quality and plan on stocking up. They have .999 1 oz silver coins as well, of which I'm going to snag a few. Amazon has great prices on coins IMO, regardless of the metal you want. The copper selection isn't great, but there's loads of gold and silver for good prices.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Bought junk when it was 9.50 - all in excellent condition
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think it's a good way to buy silver, especially in relatively small quantities. If you're patient you can get it for below spot on eBay sometimes.

Junk silver is a great investment. Don't forget public auctions as a source to get some at amazing prices. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...public+auction
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

Everyone should own some. That's what I think of it.

I like higher purity silver, like Canadian Maple Leafs because for many electronic or chemistry applications high purity is required. I think that gives Maple Leafs a premium they don't necessarily enjoy yet.

Junk silver is great. It's good for rolling up in tubes or bagging up for storing several ounces of silver at a time. If you're the type who is hedging on using silver for daily transactions, then junk coins couldn't be better. Dimes, quarters, WWII era nickels, halves...after all, these coins were meant to be used as currency. So it will be again if society really erodes.

I hope that doesn't happen, though. I'm more than content to use my junk silver pieces as a nice way to stockpile silver.

Arklatex

Such a good idea, what else can you put in your pocket and have forever money?

where are these deals that i always hear about on amazon? i can hardly find anything at a good price. 1/2 pound of 90% silver coins for $589? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnilingus View Post
    where are these deals that i always hear about on amazon? i can hardly find anything at a good price. 1/2 pound of 90% silver coins for $589? I don't think so.
    just do a search for "silver bullion". You'll get all kinds of options-coins, bars, etc., all at very good prices. It only cost me 34 bucks for (1) 90% Silver Half Dollar, (1) 90% Silver Quarter, (2) 90% Silver Dimes, and (1) 35% Silver WWII Nickel.

Just don't go spreading the word around...wouldn't want folks to catch on to our secret.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 10-20-2011 at 09:06 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by nejar462 View Post
    I like higher purity silver, like Canadian Maple Leafs
    Yeah but they've got the Queen's ugly mug on them.

Quote Originally Posted by gls View Post
    Yeah but they've got the Queen's ugly mug on them.
    lolz!

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    just do a search for "silver bullion". You'll get all kinds of options-coins, bars, etc., all at very good prices. It only cost me 34 bucks for (1) 90% Silver Half Dollar, (1) 90% Silver Quarter, (2) 90% Silver Dimes, and (1) 35% Silver WWII Nickel.

Just don't go spreading the word around...wouldn't want folks to catch on to our secret.
    According to coinflation:

http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html

Your coins' silver value should be ~$22. Because amazon doesn't offer dealers a means to tie prices to the changing spot, they tend to post items on the high side (so they don't have to constantly adjust the prices or lose money).

I have found local coin shops and ebay to be better venues for finding good prices on 90% silver. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post

yea i wouldn't spread that to anyone, 34 isnt a very good deal for about .83 oz. did you have to pay for shipping as well? at $30.55 an ounce, your silver is only worth about $25. i just went to my local coin shop today and bought a couple silver eagles at $35 each