Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any mushroom hunters about?

Any mushroom hunters about?

In my continued quest to never have a salaried job, I've come across mushroom hunting as one form of supplemental income. I've read morels are one of the most easy-to-sell of non-cultivated mushrooms, but would not likely be plentiful in a birch forest. However, I have found a few types which have a market and typically grow around birch (prices are when DRIED):
    (stem can also be much more clubbed) Penny Buns - ~$5/oz in low volume, ~$2.50/oz in high volume. Tiny market.
    (can have a more reddish hue) Chanterelles - ~$5/oz in large volumes. Smallish market.
    Woolly Milkcaps - potentially illegal to sell? GI upset consumed raw (considered poisonous), but allegedly used in North-Eastern Europe in cooking and adds a pepper-like flavor. Tiny market, if any.

Stay away from:
    (deadly)
    (GI upset)

It's something I wouldn't mind looking more into, even if there's no profit potential. If anyone has some tips (something along the lines of making sure I keep the collected mushrooms in an mesh bag instead of plastic to prevent them from mildewing), or book recommendations (definitely want pictures) for what I can expect to find in a North American birch forest, I'd appreciate it.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Our county parks have mushroom hunting programs a couple times throughout the year. Check in your area; it could be a good way to get information and some networking leads.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding folks with similar interest in my area, but there are some awesome mushroom hunters in MI, for sure, where there's an awesome Mushroom Hunters' Club.

A very exhaustive book on mushrooms is Mushrooms Demystified by David Arora. It is nearly 1000 pages. The only problem I have with it is that the BULK of the pictures are black and white. But it goes through every mushroom you can possibly find, including their habitats (birch is included) and discusses their spore patterns. It tells you how to take a spore print as well, which is a very important aspect of mushroom identification.
    Maxed out to ALL of Ron Paul's campaigns.

Listen to Liberty Tree Radio! ::

Pro-Liberty, Pro-Gun, Pro-Militia Radio 5 days a week, 10 LIVE HRS TALK RADIO PER DAY!

http://www.libertytreeradio.4mg.com

http://www.themicroeffect.com (8A - 11A EST daily)

http://www.live365.com/stations/edtheak47 (3 PM- 9 PM EST daily)

Organize, Arm, Equip, and Train as a Militia !

I've only hunted in the spring for morels, which are super tasty. Gotta get them before the poison ivy leaves open up, though!
    "I'm not just trying to win or get elected. I am trying to change the course of history" - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pacelli View Post
    A very exhaustive book on mushrooms is Mushrooms Demystified by David Arora. It is nearly 1000 pages. The only problem I have with it is that the BULK of the pictures are black and white. But it goes through every mushroom you can possibly find, including their habitats (birch is included) and discusses their spore patterns. It tells you how to take a spore print as well, which is a very important aspect of mushroom identification.
    Thanks, pacelli, and everyone. I'll definitely be buying a few identification books, so if folks have more suggestions, I'm all ears.

I save my wild foods for me and my family and friends. good photos btw

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wouldn't it be more efficient and less troublesome to just grow them by inoculating some firewood?

What caliber for mushrooms?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Tried to get into this about 3 years ago. Went to the library, checked out some guides and whatnot but it seemed way more complex than I had originally thought. Didn't want to risk picking the wrong mushrooms and dying.

I guess if I had someone to go with or someone to teach me I might have stuck with it. My grandparents used to pick them when they were kids. I think they would put them all in a pot with a silver coin, and supposedly if they were poisonous the coin would turn dark colored.

./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-16-2016 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    What caliber for mushrooms?

Aw, man, you beat me to it! I was going to say that I hunted mushrooms a lot in my back yard, but my neighbors kept complaining about the gunshots.
    And personally, I recommend a .22 caliber. Anything bigger causes a lot of splatter.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnilingus View Post
    Tried to get into this about 3 years ago. Went to the library, checked out some guides and whatnot but it seemed way more complex than I had originally thought. Didn't want to risk picking the wrong mushrooms and dying.

I guess if I had someone to go with or someone to teach me I might have stuck with it. My grandparents used to pick them when they were kids. I think they would put them all in a pot with a silver coin, and supposedly if they were poisonous the coin would turn dark colored.

Yeah. Same as for why to use silverware. Most organic poisons are volatile and sulfur based. This turns the metal to silver sulfide on contact. Used to be how Kings not got poisoned and the family silver was more than a monetary investment. Most obnoxious bacteria will give off sulfur based poisons and food poisoning will darken a silver platter. Putting a silver dollar in milk without refrigeration will retard spoiling as well.

Rev9
    Drain the swamp - BIG DOG
    http://mindreleaselabs.com/
    Seeking work on Apps, Games, Art based projects

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Aw, man, you beat me to it! I was going to say that I hunted mushrooms a lot in my back yard, but my neighbors kept complaining about the gunshots.
    And personally, I recommend a .22 caliber. Anything bigger causes a lot of splatter.
    Try a leg snare trap No mess at all.

Rev9

Keep an eye out for the ones that bruise blue. They can take you to special places, just don't let any men in uniforms with guns see you with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybin

Most species of psilocybin-containing mushrooms bruise blue when handled or damaged[38]due to the oxidization of phenolic compounds.
    Last edited by ClayTrainor; 10-13-2011 at 12:55 PM.
    "One of the great victories of the state, is that the word "Anarchy" terrifies people but, the word "State" does not" - Tom Woods

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClayTrainor View Post
    Keep an eye out for the ones that bruise blue. They can take you to special places, just don't let any men in uniforms with guns see you with them.

And be really careful because some boletas bruise blue. I was all hyped about some of the ones by the cabin here until I did a proper identification of them.

Rev9

Quote Originally Posted by Revolution9 View Post
    And be really careful because some boletas bruise blue. I was all hyped about some of the ones by the cabin here until I did a proper identification of them.

Rev9
    Very, very true! It's always best to be absolutely 100% certain of what you've got, before even thinking about consuming them.
    "One of the great victories of the state, is that the word "Anarchy" terrifies people but, the word "State" does not" - Tom Woods

Quote Originally Posted by ClayTrainor View Post

I just did a "reboot" last weekend
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I just did a "reboot" last weekend
    Any idea how long they stay effective, assuming stored in a dry clean, room temperature location? Just wondering, as I might know where some are that are probably 3 years old or so.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Any idea how long they stay effective, assuming stored in a dry clean, room temperature location? Just wondering, as I might know where some are that are probably 3 years old or so.
    3 years, wow, that's pushing it I would think..

If they still look "normal" they might be ok since they were probably dried properly.

Might have stomach issues on them, but that's pretty common.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by shemdogg View Post
    Amanitas
    Amanitas Muscaria can be found in northern europe, they are the "Mario" mushroom, very psychedelic and somewhat similar to psilocybin.

I wasn't aware you could find them in North America, anybody know?

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    You can extract the psilocybin (fairly stable alkaloid) with a polar solvent like grain alcohol or steaming in red wine with brown sugar and appropriate herbs and straining. If they have any mold do not do so. As well, if they are alright and you want to forego the stomach problems, which I get from plain shrooms then put them in chocolate. It seems to do wonders for the upset drunken stomach routine which puts me off shrooms and I have a good time. Not like LSD though. That stuff is absolutely amazing.

Rev9

Amanitas Muscaria can be found in northern europe, they are the "Mario" mushroom, very psychedelic and somewhat similar to psilocybin.

Yes. Weird, weird, weird high. I found some camping in the Delaware Water Gap and the made me lay right down and have awake dreams like those in a heroin nod, but of the zipper of my sleeping bag extending out for miles in every direction. Squirmy body high as well. They can be found under hemlocks and birch around here.

Rev9

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    //
    Last edited by specsaregood; 02-20-2013 at 09:16 PM.

It's been a good year for puffballs in my yard (the one mushroom I know well enough to trust eating it). I love sauteeing them. They taste like tofu.

9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

http://www.fungi.com/books/stamets.html

I recommend all of Paul Stamets books, $125 for all 5, direct from the author.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI5frPV58tY

They grow wild in central Alaska.
    Maxed out to ALL of Ron Paul's campaigns.

Listen to Liberty Tree Radio! ::

Pro-Liberty, Pro-Gun, Pro-Militia Radio 5 days a week, 10 LIVE HRS TALK RADIO PER DAY!

http://www.libertytreeradio.4mg.com

http://www.themicroeffect.com (8A - 11A EST daily)

http://www.live365.com/stations/edtheak47 (3 PM- 9 PM EST daily)

Organize, Arm, Equip, and Train as a Militia !

Be very careful with Amanitas. The red capped version you posted is mildly toxic. The white capped version is deadly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destroying_angel
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast