Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Romney is NOT a Christian, he's a Mormon" says VVS speaker!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb "Romney is NOT a Christian, he's a Mormon" says VVS speaker!

Just Tweeted from Politico:
    Texas evangelical leader Robert Jeffress said this afternoon he does not believe Mitt Romney is a Christian. http://politi.co/r1kNry[/q

SOURCE:
    http://twitter.com/#!/POLITICO2012

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Also Tweeted by Politico:

Rick Perry does not believe that Mormonism is a cult, his campaign said Friday. http://politi.co/nbGTJu

I don't understand why this is big news. Mormonism is very, very different from Christianity.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaBuddha2010 View Post
    I don't understand why this is big news. Mormonism is very, very different from Christianity.
    They worship Christ, how is it "very very" different?
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Quote Originally Posted by wizardwatson View Post
    It is very different, but it doesn't make these "accusations" relevant to the elections. Whether he is or isn't a christian should be of no relevance to electing a good representative.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica View Post
    It is very different, but it doesn't make these "accusations" relevant to the elections. Whether he is or isn't a christian should be of no relevance to electing a good representative.
    they should not be relevant, but religion does play a role, just as race, weight, baldness etc effect anything.

You can worship Christ all you want, but that does not automatically make you a Christian. There is much more to being a Christian than worshiping Christ. Worshiping means nothing if you don't understand Christ's teachings and accept Him, the Father and the Holy Spirit as the Holy Trinity.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    You can worship Christ all you want, but that does not automatically make you a Christian. There is much more to being a Christian than worshiping Christ. Worshiping means nothing if you don't understand Christ's teachings and accept Him, the Father and the Holy Spirit as the Holy Trinity.
    Look, all I'm saying is that to me, the collective label of "Christian" should apply to Mormons, the same way it applies to Catholics, Baptists, Greek Orthodox and what not. I realize I may be in the minority, but to me putting Christ as a central figure in your worldview, makes you a Christian.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Look, all I'm saying is that to me, the collective label of "Christian" should apply to Mormons, the same way it applies to Catholics, Baptists, Greek Orthodox and what not. I realize I may be in the minority, but to me putting Christ as a central figure in your worldview, makes you a Christian.
    It's not just that he's a central figure, but THE central figure, THE Lord and Savior of mankind. They believe Christ took on our sins.

The differences are so minute, Christians who blow them up are just scared of losing people to the LDS faith because they are the fastest growing religion and their religions are losing people to the LDS faith all the time. It's really strategic, if anything. I guess it all comes down to $$ and power.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by AquaBuddha2010 View Post
    Oh give me a break. You can make up all the crap you want about how it is different, it doesn't mean it's true.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Oh give me a break. You can make up all the crap you want about how it is different, it doesn't mean it's true.

Holy Trinity
    Mormons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit are three distinct beings who are "one in purpose"
    Christians: Father, Son and Holy Spirit are of the "same substance"; three persons in one being

Original Sin
    Mormons: Doesn't exist
    Christians: Exists

Scripture
    Mormons: For Latter-day Saints the canon remains open.
    Christians: the Old and New Testament is the inexhaustible source of Christian belief. The Canon is closed.

Those three are substantial differences.

Also, while honoring the Virgin Mary, Latter-day Saints have no equivalent of the doctrines of the immaculate conception, perpetual virginity, and bodily assumption of Mary.
    Last edited by eduardo89; 10-07-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Holy Trinity
    Mormons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit are three distinct beings who are "one in purpose"
    Christians: Father, Son and Holy Spirit are of the "same substance"; three persons in one being
    My opinion:

Semantics and extremely insignificant.

The Christian doctrine of the Trinity defines God as three divine persons (Greek: ὑποστάσεις)[1]: the Father, the Son(Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit. The three persons are distinct yet coexist in unity, and are co-equal, co-eternal and consubstantial (Greek: ὁμοούσιοι). Put another way, the three persons of the Trinity are of one being (Greek: οὐσία).[2] The Trinity is considered to be a mystery of Christian faith.[3]

According to this doctrine, God exists as three persons but is one God, meaning that God the Son and God the Holy Spirit have exactly the same nature or being as God the Father in every way.[4] Whatever attributes and power God the Father has, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit have as well.[4] "Thus, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit are also eternal, omnipresent, omnipotent, infinitely wise, infinitely holy, infinitely loving, omniscient."[4]
    -Wikipedia

The definition of the trinity as three divine persons that co-exist in unity and purpose.. The only difference I see between the two is that someone who believes in the trinity will say to the person who doesn't, "NO!! They aren't separate.. I mean they are, but they aren't!"

LDS opinion:

Joseph Smith saw God AND Jesus when they appeared to him, God proclaimed that it was his son that was standing there.

Biblical references:

John 20:17

King James Version (KJV)

17Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Acts 7:55-56

King James Version (KJV)

55But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God,

56And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.

John 17:5,11,20-26; Matt 3:13-17; Mark 1:9-11; Luke 3:21-22.

Original Sin

Those two are substantial differences.

Ya, see, Mormons believe that a baby who dies before the age of 8 automatically goes to the Celestial Kingdom, which is the highest kingdom in heaven. A non-Mormon Christian believes that if they aren't baptized they go to Hell. I'm not Mormon, but if I had to choose I'd go with the Mormons on this one. I have a hard time believing that if God exists he is sending all the starving babies in Africa to hell, but if you want to believe that, feel free to.

Ya, see, Mormons believe that a baby who dies before the age of 8 automatically goes to the Celestial Kingdom, which is the highest kingdom in heaven. A non-Mormon Christian believes that if they aren't baptized they go to Hell. I'm not Mormon, but if I had to choose I'd go with the Mormons on this one. I have a hard time believing that if God exists he is sending all the starving babies in Africa to hell, but if you want to believe that, feel free to.
    That's just not true.

Holy Trinity

Original Sin

Scripture
    Christians: the Old and New Testament is the inexhaustible source of Christian belief. The Canon is closed.

Those three are substantial differences.

Also, while honoring the Virgin Mary, Latter-day Saints have no equivalent of the doctrines of the immaculate conception, perpetual virginity, and bodily assumption of Mary.
    Baptists don't believe in half these things. Are they Christians? Yes they are. You just defined a specific TYPE of Christian, i.e. a Catholic, not all Christians.

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    Baptists don't believe in half these things. Are they Christians? Yes they are. You just defined a specific TYPE of Christian, i.e. a Catholic, not all Christians.
    Baptists believe in the Holy Trinity, the original sin, and that the Holy Scripture is the only sufficient, certain, and infallible rule of all saving knowledge, faith, and obedience.

you miss one key element. Mormons believe in polytheism,that "God" the Father was once like us,and that through his noble deeds he became a "God"..and that such a thing can be achieved by humans. Tell me again that its christian,..the ignorance astounds me.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I Have to Agree With Robert Jeffress

Mitt Romney is not a Christian, but even if he was, his views on civil government do not comport with the Bible (like most of the GOP candidates who consider themselves Christians).
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

Holy Trinity
    Does the word trinity or "one being 3 persons" appear in the New Testament in any way, shape or form?

Original Sin
    are there no Christians who believe each person CHOSE to sin after he was born himself?
    Scripture
    Does the Bible say "this is where the story ends"?

There is nothing to make up, it is different...just as different as how muslims view Jesus as a "prophet."

Mormons are Christians. I lived with Mormons for quite a while when I was in foster care. They believe some wacky things but they ARE christians. Protestant faiths all differ in one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by tribute_13 View Post
    Mormons are Christians. I lived with Mormons for quite a while when I was in foster care. They believe some wacky things but they ARE christians. Protestant faiths all differ in one way or another.
    Their cosmology is kind of wacky, but not any wackier than Adam and Eve eating soul-damning fruit, Moses parting the red sea, or Noah having two of every animal on his Ark.

So yeah I agree, Mormons are Christians. They aren't different enough to say they are as different from Christianity as Muslims are from Christianity.

Quote Originally Posted by tribute_13 View Post
    Ya, it's ridiculous how all Christian faiths vary so much, yet some how they single out the LDS faith as being "not Christian"

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica View Post
    There is nothing to make up, it is different...just as different as how muslims view Jesus as a "prophet."
    Bull$#@!, Mormons view Jesus as the Lord and Savior.

Bull$#@!, Mormons view Jesus as the Lord and Savior.
    .......mormons are polytheistic.get a grip on reality yo,you're wrong.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not at all. Mormons believe Jesus to be the divine Son of God, born of a virgin (Mary), who sacrificed Himself to redeem us from our sins by suffering for them, dying on the cross, and Resurrecting three days later, and who is the only source of salvation. Muslims believe none of those things. Mormons are Christian.

Not at all. Mormons believe Jesus to be the divine Son of God, born of a virgin (Mary), who sacrificed Himself to redeem us from our sins by suffering for them, dying on the cross, and Resurrecting three days later, and who is the only source of salvation. Muslims believe none of those things. Mormons are Christian.

That's really what it comes down to, the other religions have leaders and teachers who are just nit-picking because they are jealous that they are losing so many followers to them.

I'm not saying the people here are jealous or are losing money or power, but somebody taught them that these little nit-picking details that really amount to semantics for the most part, rather than any real difference in the belief system.

Isn't it practically a prerequisite of being a Mormon to believe that it is very different?

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Isn't it practically a prerequisite of being a Mormon to believe that it is very different?
    This is true in that you believe traditional Christianity went astray. But that isn't the same as saying that they aren't followers of Christ either. We believe traditional Christians follow the Savior but have some things incorrect. On the other hand I cannot count how many times I have been told I do not, and can not, be a worshiper of Christ because I am LDS. That is what this whole thread is really over. By saying LDS aren't Christian its basically saying they don't worship Jesus, which is untrue. And that annoys me greatly because its denying what I know with all of my being, that Christ is my Savior, Lord, and King.
    Last edited by PierzStyx; 10-07-2011 at 06:53 PM.

They're playing the Mormon card. Things are going to get ugly.

begorrrrahhh an' shades of the wise generation who voted for JFK, Al Smith & thah Purple Shamrock up here,
    someone PLEASE DON'T PLAY the Mormon card like this thusly, these fools by blowback almost elect Mr. Mitt!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast