Thread: An example of why the USPS is failing......

An example of why the USPS is failing......

Just a short story of why the United States Postal Service is failing.

The Letter Carrier knocked on the door today. I had a package being delivered. He informed me that the sender had been $0.97 on the postage. I would have to pay that C.O.D. to receive the mail. So how is this a failure of the USPS? A better question would be how is it not.

First off starting at originating office. Once dropped off why was the package not weighed so the sender could be informed, or the item returned before it was sent cross country? The next failure comes at my doorstep. If i did not pay they would return to sender. Lets break down the math:

$10.97 Original Total delivery cost
    $10.00 Postage on package
    $0.97 Missing Postage

We can assume that the cost to ship the item one way to me was the $10.97. If I did not pay though they would send it back to the originator, collect the missing $0.97 and then sned it back:

$10.97 Cost for shipment to me
    $10.97 Cost of return to sender
    $10.97 Cost for second delivery to me
    $30.91 Total USPS cost in shipping

They were willing to spend 66% more in actual shipping costs, a total of $19.94 just to try and get the missing $0.97!!

No wonder they are going to default.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahApocalypse View Post
    $10.97 Cost for shipment to me
    $10.97 Cost of return to sender
    $10.97 Cost for second delivery to me
    $30.91 Total USPS cost in shipping
    #1. It doesn't cost USPS $10.97 to return to sender
    #2. They would make the original sender pay $10.97 to reship it to you

So what I'm getting out of this is that we need a movement where people agree to donate $10 to ship ordinary housebricks or something with a precalculated rate like that during the course of a month, in order to crash USPS.

(Even if they only pay double and the original sender doesn't pay to reship, they're still going bankrupt.)
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by ctiger2 View Post
    #1. It doesn't cost USPS $10.97 to return to sender
    #2. They would make the original sender pay $10.97 to reship it to you
    You are wrong on the first point. The package does not just magically reappear at the origination shipping point. It has to be sent there. Yes, you may be right that they do not "pay postage" for the return trip but the costs of transport, gas, workers, etc..... that the original postage is suppose to cover does occur. That is my point.

As to your second point you may possibly be correct. Even then though they would not be billing the Original shipper for the postage of the return trip and that cost comes from the USPS.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahApocalypse View Post
    Yes, you may be right that they do not "pay postage" for the return trip but the costs of transport, gas, workers, etc..... that the original postage is suppose to cover does occur. That is my point.
    Most of that is static, they have that overheard regardless. The bigger problem is that by law they can't lay-off or fire unneeded workers so there are thousands of unneeded USPS employees getting paid to sit in a break room all day long. Also ties into why all that other overhead is already in place, they have an excess of capacity available already.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Most of that is static, they have that overheard regardless. The bigger problem is that by law they can't lay-off or fire unneeded workers so there are thousands of unneeded USPS employees getting paid to sit in a break room all day long. Also ties into why all that other overhead is already in place, they have an excess of capacity available already.
    Weird--usually when I go into a Post Office, there's only one unpleasant woman serving the customers, and one other person trying to look like he's doing something despite the line forming.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Weird--usually when I go into a Post Office, there's only one unpleasant woman serving the customers, and one other person trying to look like he's doing something despite the line forming.
    the part bolded below might be why.

http://www.federaltimes.com/article/.../DEPARTMENTS02
    Paid to do nothing
    11,000-plus postal workers idle at any given time

The U.S. Postal Service, struggling with a massive deficit caused by plummeting mail volume, spends more than a million dollars each week to pay thousands of employees to sit in empty rooms and do nothing.

It's a practice called "standby time," and it has existed for years — but postal employees say it was rarely used until this year. Now, postal officials say, the agency is averaging about 45,000 hours of standby time every week — the equivalent of having 1,125 full-time employees sitting idle, at a cost of more than $50 million per year.

Mail volume is down 12.6 percent compared with last year, and many postal supervisors simply don't have enough work to keep all employees busy. But a thicket of union rules prevents managers from laying off excess employees; a recent agreement with the unions, in fact, temporarily prevents the Postal Service from even reassigning them to other facilities that could use them.

So they sit — some for a few hours, others for entire shifts. Postal union officials estimate some 15,000 employees have spent time on standby this year.

They spend their days holed up in rooms — conference rooms, break rooms, occasionally 12-foot-by-8-foot storage closets — that the Postal Service dubs "resource rooms." Postal employees use more colorful names, like "holding pens" and "blue rooms."

More at link above...
    Last edited by specsaregood; 10-06-2011 at 04:38 PM.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...?ocid=msedgntp

The lawmakers said USPS, which is a quasi-governmental agency that relies on fees rather than taxes, may be forced to shutter as early as June, less than three months from now. They noted that postal workers delivered more than a billion shipments of prescription drugs last year, and ceasing operations during the virus outbreak could have dire consequences for the health of people around the country.

"The Postal Service needs America's help, and we must answer this call," they said.

"These negative effects could be even more dire in rural areas, where millions of Americans are sheltering in place and rely on the Postal Service to deliver essential staples," the lawmakers warned.

Americans are also counting on postal service workers to deliver millions of coronavirus relief checks — a process that won't start until the end of April and isn't scheduled to finish until September. However, it's unclear if it will have the funding needed to do so.

ROFLMAO! want your $1200 Corona Check? we'll have to raise fees & taxes to make it happen. So, it's almost like they're not giving you money they've already taken.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.