Thread: 1 in 3 Vets sees Iraq, Afghan wars as wastes

Thumbs up 1 in 3 Vets sees Iraq, Afghan wars as wastes

I haven't seen this AP article on the RPF boards yet, but I think it might help the grassroots to know this information from the Pew Research Center. We can use much of this data to inform civilians who like to challenge Ron Paul on his "end the wars" stance.

Read full article here: http://news.yahoo.com/poll-1-3-vets-...040253311.html
    Pew said its survey results found "isolationist inclinations" among post-9/11 war veterans. About 6-in-10 said the United States should pay less attention to problems overseas and instead concentrate on problems at home. In a Pew survey conducted earlier this year, a similar share of the general public agreed.
    Last edited by Article V; 10-05-2011 at 06:15 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My first thought was, only 1/3?

Wondering why their asses are on the firing line when there was no yellowcake uranium in Iraq and no bin Ladens in Afghanistan makes for 'isolationist inclinations'?

If saying we shouldn't go chasing targets that have already moved, or were never there, when we could be rebuilding our own shattered economy is 'isolationism', rather than simple common sense, then I guess we shouldn't get so upset when they mislabel our man and ourselves as 'isolationist'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I would say it is much higher than one third. I often speak with Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, G1 and those who are newly discharged and do not find any real support for the wars at all. Oh, sure we support each other and most vets would suit up again and defend the other. But do NOT confuse that with a pro-war mentality.

Most vets are in FACT against these Un-Constitutional illegal wars. No surprise there. Oh...that must explain why the U.S. Armed Forces donate MORE MONEY to RON PAUL than all the other candidates combined!

All I want is for America to return to .... a rule of law.
    Last edited by airborne373; 10-05-2011 at 07:47 AM. Reason: spelling

I love the way they word these polls.

Isolationists...no, non-interventionist--yes!

One on my favorite speeches by John Quincy Adams on U.S. Foreign policy:

(1821)

And now, friends and countrymen, if the wise and learned philosophers of the elder world, the first observers of nutation and aberration, the discoverers of maddening ether and invisible planets, the inventors of Congreve rockets and Shrapnel shells, should find their hearts disposed to enquire what has America done for the benefit of mankind?

Let our answer be this: America, with the same voice which spoke herself into existence as a nation, proclaimed to mankind the inextinguishable rights of human nature, and the only lawful foundations of government. America, in the assembly of nations, since her admission among them, has invariably, though often fruitlessly, held forth to them the hand of honest friendship, of equal freedom, of generous reciprocity.

She has uniformly spoken among them, though often to heedless and often to disdainful ears, the language of equal liberty, of equal justice, and of equal rights.

She has, in the lapse of nearly half a century, without a single exception, respected the independence of other nations while asserting and maintaining her own.

She has abstained from interference in the concerns of others, even when conflict has been for principles to which she clings, as to the last vital drop that visits the heart.

She has seen that probably for centuries to come, all the contests of that Aceldama the European world, will be contests of inveterate power, and emerging right.

Wherever the standard of freedom and Independence has been or shall be unfurled, there will her heart, her benedictions and her prayers be.

But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy.

She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all.

She is the champion and vindicator only of her own.

She will commend the general cause by the countenance of her voice, and the benignant sympathy of her example.

She well knows that by once enlisting under other banners than her own, were they even the banners of foreign independence, she would involve herself beyond the power of extrication, in all the wars of interest and intrigue, of individual avarice, envy, and ambition, which assume the colors and usurp the standard of freedom.

The fundamental maxims of her policy would insensibly change from liberty to force....

She might become the dictatress of the world. She would be no longer the ruler of her own spirit....

[America's] glory is not dominion, but liberty. Her march is the march of the mind. She has a spear and a shield: but the motto upon her shield is, Freedom, Independence, Peace. This has been her Declaration: this has been, as far as her necessary intercourse with the rest of mankind would permit, her practice.

When John Quincy Adams served as U. S. Secretary of State, he delivered this speech to the U.S. House of Representatives on July 4, 1821, in celebration of American Independence Day.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Czolgosz View Post
    My first thought was, only 1/3?
    Ya from my experience they are sandbagging these numbers.
    If you don't live you life on the edge, you will never see the view

If these numbers are correct, then Ron Paul should see roughly 1/3 of active military personnel donations in the 3rd quarter with Obama and all the other Republicans garnering the combined total of the other 2/3rds.

This sort of split seems about right to me. I think the numbers are accurate.

Having 33% of the military on your side is amazing! We shouldn't be complaining about this. We should be celebrating.
    Last edited by Article V; 10-05-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Article V View Post
    If these numbers are correct, then Ron Paul should see roughly 1/3 of active military personnel donations in the 3rd quarter with Obama and all the other Republicans garnering the combined total of the other 2/3rds.

That would be cool. But c'mon how much money do you think a person in the U.S. Armed Forces make? It is not much at all. Then add in the fact that they must buy uniforms, boots, gear, etc. Oh, yeah. Service members get some clothing and gear then after that it is on them to buy the rest.

That is for the single troops. Add a spouse and children and BOOM your in debt... to your eyeballs.

This is why Ron Paul receiving more military donations than the MSM candidates is a really BIG deal.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by airborne373 View Post
    This is why Ron Paul receiving more military donations than the MSM candidates is a really BIG deal.
    Right, which is why we should be celebrating the fact that a full 1/3 agree with us. That means the other 2/3rd is split between Obama and the establishment GOPers, which means we'll likely continue to raise more than all the Republicans combined and more than Obama individually.

Again, past military donations support the accuracy of Pew Research Center's polling, and I bet the 3rd quarter numbers will do the same.

I'm surprised this isn't posted on Drudge. I'm sure a good chunk of his readers think they're supporting the troops by wanting to keep them in war.

Quote Originally Posted by Article V View Post
    Right, which is why we should be celebrating the fact that a full 1/3 agree with us. That means the other 2/3rd is split between Obama and the establishment GOPers, which means we'll likely continue to raise more than all the Republicans combined and more than Obama individually.

Not to me. It simply means the other 2/3 are TOO DAMN BROKE and distracted! When you are struggling to pay your bills and dodge French mortars and IED's one might be a bit distracted to even think about what is happening in a presidential election that is more than a year out.

Also ... imo giving up eyesight, limbs, hearing and their lives is frankly enough to give.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by airborne373 View Post
    Not to me. It simply means the other 2/3 are TOO DAMN BROKE and distracted! When you are struggling to pay your bills and dodge French mortars and IED's one might be a bit distracted to even think about what is happening in a presidential election that is more than a year out.

Also ... imo giving up eyesight, limbs, hearing and their lives is frankly enough to give.
    The Pew Research Poll has nothing to do with donations. I was simply referencing the donations as secondary evidence for those media-bashers who claimed the poll was fixed. And they claim it must be fixed because this GOOD news is somehow not good enough for them.

If you want to discount the polling because you blame the non-partisan pollster for somehow fixing the poll AND you want to speculate that distraction and low-finances are the reasons to blame for the other 2/3rds of the military spreading their wealth amongst Obama and the other GOP candidates... then so be it. I will leave you to your own land of imagination, while I celebrate the victories we're making here in reality.

A full 33% of the military support Dr. Paul! That's freaking incredible! We'd kill to have those kinds of numbers in the general population; and--considering foreign policy is what most concerns establishment GOP voters when it comes to Dr. Paul--the more we spread this information, the more likely we are to start seeing the general population's 11% level rise to match the 33% level of the military.
    Last edited by Article V; 10-05-2011 at 10:24 AM.

At least Jack Hunter and the RonPaul2012 crew understood the important ramifications and good news of this Pew Research Center poll:

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/2011/10/0...ng-the-troops/

For years now, as citizens if we don't agree with the war, and want to bring the troops home, we "aren't supporting our troops and are enboldening our enemies."

This new statistic of the 1/3 of the soldiers who have been actually fighting in these wars stating they should never have been fought, totally dismantles that ridiculous statement
    Last edited by Bruno; 10-06-2011 at 08:23 AM.
    "I'm not just trying to win or get elected. I am trying to change the course of history" - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    For years now, as citizens if we don't agree with the war, and want to bring the troops home, we "aren't supporting our troops and are enboldening our enemies."

This new statistic of the 1/3 of the soldiers who have been actually fighting in these wars stating they should never have been fought, totally dismantles that ridiculous statement
    Agreed. This is why we've got to spread the word to establishment GOP voters about this study. It totally cuts the legs out from their misguided argument against Dr. Paul.
    Restore the Original First Amendment: http://thirty-thousand.org/

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.