Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hank Williams Jr. dropped from ESPN, Monday Night Football for comparing Obama to Hitler.

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    huwite people
    I see this popping up quite a bit across the intertubes.

What is this?

A new politically approved slur against white people?

A tongue in cheek reference to something I'm missing?

A pun?

Help me out...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I see this popping up quite a bit across the intertubes.

What is this?

A new politically approved slur against white people?

A tongue in cheek reference to something I'm missing?

A pun?

Help me out...
    Huwite people is a granfalloon made up of whites. There's no such thing as a "white people." So it mocks anybody who believes they belong to such a thing, or like to point fingers at the mythical huwite people, when they're feeling oppressed today. That's how I use it, but that's not it's original meaning.

Heres what a granfalloon is: https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/granfalloon
    Last edited by Raginfridus; 09-24-2017 at 12:29 PM.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Huwite people is a granfalloon made up of whites. There's no such thing as a "white people." So it mocks anybody who believes they belong to such a thing, or like to point fingers at the mythical huwite people, when they're feeling oppressed today. That's how I use it, but that's not it's original meaning.

Heres what a granfalloon is: https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/granfalloon
    Got it...

I think "huwite" originated with the alt-right in their pr wars with anti-fa. Making fun of the way privileged college kids inflect the word white to signal they're erudite and passionate about struggles they've never known. I don't know if there was more nuance to it than that, but I don't care because I've stolen their word and its mine now

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    No and it was proven last week.

ESPN’s Jemele Hill stands by her statement that Trump is a white supremacist

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.920d058e2c45

Jemele Hill is out at ESPN - https://nypost.com/2018/08/25/jemele...-espn-is-over/

Jemele Hill needed to be out at ESPN. Hill knew it. ESPN president Jimmy Pitaro knew it. And, now, Jemele Hill is out at ESPN.

The marriage between ESPN and Hill — the controversial sports commentator who waded into politics and sparred with President Donald Trump — has long been stuck in irreconcilable differences. Since leaving “SportsCenter” earlier this year, she has barely worked, making a divorce the obvious conclusion.

A buyout of her reported $2.5 million per year contract has been completed and her last day will be Friday, according to sources.

On Saturday night, the author James Miller, who wrote a book about ESPN, first tweeted the news of the breakup, calling it “amicable.” The timing, on a Saturday evening, was fortunate for Hill and ESPN in an attempt to lessen the news coverage of what had been a huge national story, both in politics and in sports. There had been rumblings last week of buyout talks between the two sides.

It is quite simple as to why the buyout happened: Hill wants to continue her involvement in politics, and ESPN wants out of politics.

Pitaro has made it clear ESPN is a sports network and does not want to be associated with politics, so he agreed to a buyout with Hill, according to sources. ESPN had no use for Hill on any of its programs after her ill-fated 6 p.m. “SportsCenter” with her former partner, Michael Smith, failed to deliver ratings. She first left Smith behind by quitting the show before the executive in charge of the program, Norby Williamson, had a chance to replace her. She would have been removed.

Nearly one year ago, on Sept. 11, 2017, Hill called Trump “a white supremacist who has largely surrounded himself [with] other white supremacists.” Though it broke ESPN’s social media rules about commenting on politics unrelated to sports, then-network president John Skipper failed to suspend Hill. The White House called for Hill to be fired.

A little more than a month later, Skipper decided to suspend Hill after she criticized Cowboys owner Jerry Jones’ anthem stance by tweeting, “Change happens when advertisers are impacted. If you feel strongly about JJ’s statement, boycott his advertisers.” She was off television for two weeks. ESPN called it a second offense. Hill said she regretted that she had “painted ESPN in an unfair light.”

Pitaro recently said he thinks the biggest misperception of ESPN is that it is political, and now he is putting action behind his words. Though the network’s on-air programming is mostly apolitical, it is hard to ask viewers to disassociate stances they read on social media when ESPN personalities are on TV, radio or writing for its website.

Despite the company’s policy, Hill incessantly tweeted about politics, even as she barely contributed to the network’s content in recent months, save a few columns for ESPN’s Undefeated website and some guest appearances on shows.

Now, Hill likely will look to try to go further into politics. ESPN will continue to try to move further away from politics. She had a very loud career at ESPN, but it is ending — quietly.

Social media is a powerful revealer of character. It’s there forever. Back in the day there was almost no way to be caught doing anything on camera unless it was done deliberately. And by now the photos and negatives are rotted away.

I’m almost glad to be older. It’s just hard to watch people showing their own ignorance and evil to the entire world.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Social media is a powerful revealer of character. It’s there forever. Back in the day there was almost no way to be caught doing anything on camera unless it was done deliberately. And by now the photos and negatives are rotted away.

I’m almost glad to be older. It’s just hard to watch people showing their own ignorance and evil to the entire world.
    Not sure if this is so great as people in power get a pass.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12