Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ron Paul: Space Frontier/NASA- Base on moon/Mars? is it a Important issue?

Ron Paul: Space Frontier/NASA- Base on moon/Mars? is it a Important issue?

Alright even in the prefix it doesn't list it but as "Other" unrelated or unimportant. It's quite a shame really, I use to care about politics but it does no good, what does it justify really. What really gets to my nerves is no one gives a damn about going to outer space anymore like what happened to the idea of putting a base on the moon or even going so far putting the first man on Mars. I don't even see this a important issue hell there isn't much threads on it. Forget everything else, what good does it do caring about irrelevant issues?

All we are doing is assuring our survival on Earth, and doing nothing until something bad actually happens then worry later. It's like we got this idea stuck in our heads that we can live in this comfortable bubble forever nothing will dent this perfect way of life. We take everything for granted, literally everyday. We have nothing better to do than start wars over the most childish crap. It's like comparing humanity to a bunch children in a playpin with onetoy to fight over.

How I personally feel about America today after the cold war, Americans let Success get to their head letting such vices get the best of them. I was talking to a friend today that we should put a base on the moon he simply replied "Why? there is no need to." then went on further saying there
    was no need for going outer space. Really is this attitude we all Americans have nowadays?

Back then going to the Moon was one of the most proudest damn things we Americans ever achieved. After landing on the moon, people thought by our time period we would have a base on the moon let alone a putting the first American on Mars. Let me remind you NOT ONE country has ever achieved what we did in exploring space. Can you imagine the morale boost in this glooming economy, two failed wars, etc... if we Americans landed on
    Mars for the first time.

When will we Americans get our act together because here the facts folks
    - Human population is skyrocketing
    - Resources will indeed become scarce
    - Super Volcano(Yellow Stone)
    - More population/More problems
    - and so on...

It's going to get to a breaking point one way or another that this can't last forever. So where are going to go? only option is up the cosmos ^

So just asking if exploring space/Space Frontier is one Ron Paul's priorities because seems like no one gives a damn of the matter. I don't want to be 90 years old having them FINALLY put a damn human on Mars. Honestly going to outer space or jump starting the Space Frontier should be a priority above anything else.
    Last edited by Hobez; 10-01-2011 at 03:10 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Somebody like Paul doesn't care about space Exploration, he isn't a fan of Eugene cernan or Neil Armstrong. He believes only in god, and that is what he believes life is about. He's a freedom lover, less government kind of person.

Eugene Cernan was the last person to walk on the moon. His three days on the moon was facinating since, it was the last and longest mission on the moon.

When I first found out about the Bush Administration's quest for space, it was a great. I watched the return to the moon speech more than once presented by W Bush. The one thing that government had possibly done right, give America something to progress to, something intelligent and just.

But...the Administration's policy was more about domination using outer space by going to the Moon. But what was W thinking when he ran up two wars with the Union's budget, why didn't the Administration commit it to the space program, and domestic problems which Libertarians wouldn't agree. But for the least the quest for space, a leader, a peace advocate of the use of space.

If we would've privatized space exploration 60 years ago, we'd probably be colonizing Mars as we speak.

So your premise is completely wrong...

Schiff_FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Hobez View Post
    So just asking if exploring space/Space Frontier is one Ron Paul's priorities because seems like no one gives a damn of the matter.
    Ron Paul's priority is avoiding a devastating inflationary collapse of the dollar.

Thumbs up Ron Paul on Space Exploration

This isn't exactly related to a moon/Mars base, but it gives us an idea of Ron's enthusiasm for space exploration:

"Mr. Speaker, I rise to congratulate and commend the designers, builders, sponsors, and pilot of SpaceShipOne on the occasion of its successful flight out of earth’s atmosphere on June 21, 2004. What is most remarkable about SpaceShipOne, of course, is that it is the first privately-financed and privately built vehicle to leave the Earth’s atmosphere.

SpaceShipOne was designed and built by Burt Rutan and piloted by test pilot Michael W. Melvill. It was launched successfully from Mojave California, reaching a height of 100 KM (62 miles ) above the Earth’s surface. Remarkably, SpaceShipOne is entirely privately-financed, chiefly by Microsoft co-founder Paul G. Allen.

According to the designers and financers of SpaceShipOne, the mission of this project is to demonstrate the viability of commercial space flight and to open the door for private space tourism. The successful completion of SpaceShipOne’s maiden voyage demonstrates that relatively modest amounts of private funding can significantly increase the boundaries of commercial space technology. It constitutes a major leap toward their goal and demonstrates that private capital and private enterprise can be applied to enormous success all on its own. Those associated with this project represent the best of our American traditions, embodied in our enterprising and pioneering spirit.

Their success should also be read as a cautionary tale for all of us in government. If only the United States had a taxation policy that limited government and thereby freed up more private capital, there is no telling how many more like Burt Rutan, Paul Allen, and Michael Melvill would be able to do great things to the benefit all of mankind. This not just in space exploration, but in medical research, alternative energy research, and any number of the problems that continue to perplex mankind. Private enterprise depends on results and success and therefore private capital is always targeted much more wisely than is monies confiscated by governments.

With this successful maiden voyage, SpaceShipOne is now the leading contender for the $10 million Ansari X Prize, which is to be awarded to the first privately financed three-seat aircraft that reaches an altitude of 62 miles and repeats the feat within two weeks. I wish all those involved in this remarkable project the best of luck." -- Ron Paul

http://www.reasontofreedom.com/prais..._ron_paul.html

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarzan View Post
    If we would've privatized space exploration 60 years ago, we'd probably be colonizing Mars as we speak.

what he said<<< NASA has hindered space exploration and technological advancements as well as the free market.

Space exploration, unless profitable, will actually ensure we deplete our scarce resources faster.

'Space' The next economic 'boom' after, 'The Internetz'?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So NASA was just a waste of time, do you honestly really think a private company would be better off for a national space program.

That doesn't sound realistic. NASA could do with reforming.

But at the end of the day not all politicians are interested in Space Exploration. Even though it has done a lot for all of us, the world over.

The first poster was right about another concern, energy security is a lot closer to home than a lot of us would like to accept. And over population, another mad subject.

Try www.marssociety.org

They do some good work. Only problem is that some of them are statists who spend their time trying to get government funds.

It is an absolute must that we colonize other planets and later spread out to several other solar systems.
    I am the spoon.

Maybe we should get our $#@! together as humans before we colonize other planets.

At the rate we are going, the new inhabitants would just break into different groups and spend the resources trying to devise new eays to kill each other.

As a side note, the colonization discussion helps make the case that other alien civilizations would also be interested in visiting earth.
    Last edited by Bruno; 10-02-2011 at 07:09 AM.

It is not a matter of if but when an asteroid or comet resets life on earth. Are humans willing to fight for our species or sucumb to nature?
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    It is not a matter of if but when an asteroid or comet resets life on earth. Are humans willing to fight for our species or sucumb to nature?
    Exactly. I for one would like to fight for our species. Even if we are never destroyed by anything our sun will eventually go nova and kill us.
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    Maybe we should get our $#@! together as humans before we colonize other planets.

At the rate we are going, the new inhabitants would just break into different groups and spend the resources trying to devise new eays to kill each other.

As a side note, the colonization discussion helps make the case that other alien civilizations would also be interested in visiting earth.
    I doubt we will ever get our $#@! together. As for aliens visiting, that could be a very interesting conversation..
    I am the spoon.

Ron Paul is the prime directive.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I really don't think this is a make or break issue for anyone this time around. Maybe when no one cared about anything important 88, 92, 96, 00, 04.... but not now.

I don't think we should have NASA. Privatize this kind of stuff.

Paul isn't a person who is really that bothered about space exploration, like I said the man lives in another world when it concerns progressive views of the world.

I like his foreign policy attitude definately, that is one of the main reasons as a foreigner I am on this board, it will help my country's government wake up, I hope.

But Space exploration would never of happened the way it did, if it wasn't for the cold war.

The reason there isn't much private space activity is that until recently it was basically prohibited by government regulations. Even now there is so much red tape that it is very difficult.

^^^^
    THIS

The private company Spacex has done more in 5 years than NASA has done in 40. Government $#@!s nasa every step of the way because they have to beg congress for everything they do.. congress doesnt care about space.... to them is just something to use nasa and say trying to "create jobs" and make the situation complicated as $#@! and space is already complex enough. Plus the contractors used are part of the military industrial complex...so... they pretty much milk all the money they can get from the tax payer. The only reason why we made it to the moon was because Kennedy died and defunding his "legacy" would have been political suicide for any president. Spacex could and will take the place of the US space program but getting government out of their way would help. So who says ron paul doesn't care about space?

Ron DOES CARE.
    He cares enough to get the $#@! out of the way of the engineers and let them do their jobs without a mass of regulations...

And with that I leave you three cool videos.

Look at all the amazing innovation in the technology sector where there is little to no regulation.... flat panel televisions, computers, smartphones. They are cheap and everyone has one. NASA is like a lumbering dinosaur with no competition to spur growth and way too much money with no time limits. Why are we still sending 1970 and 80s technology into space? It makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by amonasro View Post
    Look at all the amazing innovation in the technology sector where there is little to no regulation.... flat panel televisions, computers, smartphones. They are cheap and everyone has one. NASA is like a lumbering dinosaur with no competition to spur growth and way too much money with no time limits. Why are we still sending 1970 and 80s technology into space? It makes no sense.
    Shuttle was using intel 8086 CPUs which are like 16 mhz lol.
    Last edited by archangel689; 10-04-2011 at 01:24 PM.

I've worked for NASA, and you're completely right. Heck, private space exploration was illegal until recently.
    “If you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.” -CS Lewis

The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft.

If our society were a forum, congress would be the illiterate troll that somehow got a hold of the only ban hammer.

I want us to be colonizing Mars before I die (im 24). I think space exploration is very important.
    I am the spoon.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    I want us to be colonizing Mars before I die (im 24). I think space exploration is very important.
    But you don't think it should be funded by taxes, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Republicanguy View Post
    Somebody like Paul doesn't care about space Exploration, he isn't a fan of Eugene cernan or Neil Armstrong. He believes only in god, and that is what he believes life is about. He's a freedom lover, less government kind of person.

Eugene Cernan was the last person to walk on the moon. His three days on the moon was facinating since, it was the last and longest mission on the moon.

When I first found out about the Bush Administration's quest for space, it was a great. I watched the return to the moon speech more than once presented by W Bush. The one thing that government had possibly done right, give America something to progress to, something intelligent and just.

But...the Administration's policy was more about domination using outer space by going to the Moon. But what was W thinking when he ran up two wars with the Union's budget, why didn't the Administration commit it to the space program, and domestic problems which Libertarians wouldn't agree. But for the least the quest for space, a leader, a peace advocate of the use of space.

Um....huh?

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    But you don't think it should be funded by taxes, do you?
    No. All funding should be voluntary.
    I am the spoon.

In the Game "Civilization"

There are several ways to obtain victory.

Most of them involve world Hegemony, whether through military empire, cultural dominance, religious dominance, elimination of all other cultures, geographical dominance, population dominance, or election of one-world-government.

One involves the first extra terrestrial colony.

The last is to have the highest score when the time runs out...

The OP is advocating we switch from attempting a military empire victory to going for the Colony ship victory.

Personally, since we already have a commanding lead in score, I think we should just ride things out until the time runs out. It won't get you a good rating on leadership. Probably be compared to Ethelred the Unready, but at least it doesn't involve killing people, or taxing them, which is really the same thing.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Republicanguy View Post
    So NASA was just a waste of time, do you honestly really think a private company would be better off for a national space program.

That doesn't sound realistic. NASA could do with reforming.

But at the end of the day not all politicians are interested in Space Exploration. Even though it has done a lot for all of us, the world over.

The first poster was right about another concern, energy security is a lot closer to home than a lot of us would like to accept. And over population, another mad subject.

Was NASA a waste? No. But like any other government program it wasn't as efficient as the private market would be. I'm actually pretty excited about the (relative) privatization of space transport that has been going on. To be sure there are still government dollars at work but now at least there is a lot of competition from the likes of SpaceX, Bigelow Aerospace (who have already launched a couple of small test space stations in orbit!), and many others.

Mars will be the New America. England vs. America Revolution all over again. Elon doesn't want a small base, he wants colonization. And if you think for one second they're not going to try to tax folks living on mars. Anyhow, my far in the future predictions.
    Last edited by archangel689; 10-05-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast