The campaign needs to come out with a white paper on Ron Paul's position regarding the murder of al-Alwaki... and do it NOW!!!
It needs to clearly explain that the action was not legal. That Mister Obama does not have the legal authority to kill a US citizen because of suspicion. Make it clear that Mister Obama was WRONG to take this illegal action when we have legal means to address this issue.
Clearly lay out the facts:
- Alwaki is a US citizen.
- No legal charges have been filed.
- No trial was conducted and his guilt in any of these suspicions was not confirmed.
- The President does not have the authority to unilaterally decide to execute an American citizen without the due process of our laws.
Then, lay out the actual remedies available that should have been taken:
- File charges and seek his extradition.
- Try him in absentia.
- Try him in absentia and revoke his American citizenship.
- Declare him an enemy combatant in accordance with our laws.
- Only then is such an action permissible.
Put the legal people to work and make sure this is rock solid. Make sure any other necessary points are covered (I dashed this off pretty quickly and am not a lawyer). Emphasize that we cannot be "a shining beacon on a hill" as Mister Obama said in one of his speeches... if we do not follow our own laws and our Constitution.
That's the gist... some careful thought to get this exactly right... then, post it on the official campaign site... spread it through the local media and turn it into a press release.
but... this needs to happen VERY quickly