Thread: Jon Stewart's Liberal Challenge to Ron Paul

Jon Stewart's Liberal Challenge to Ron Paul

"Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Jon Stewart's Liberal Challenge to Ron Paul

New article by Robin Koerner, my partner in crime. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robin-..._b_984563.html

During the recent interview of Congressman Paul with Jon Stewart on the Daily Show, Jon asked Ron a question that gets to the crux of the divide between progressive Liberalism and libertarianism.

Jon's question was:

Does the failure of government to protect adequately make it a failure of government having that responsibility? Does their inability to do it effectively make it so that they shouldn't do it?
    As the person who coined the term "Blue Republican" -- a moniker for former Democrats and Independents who are registering Republican for Ron Paul in 2012 -- I think much rests on the answer to it.

My answer is, "Theoretically, and in an ideal world, no: just because government has failed to do something effectively does not prove that it cannot do it or that it should not be asked to do it. But in the country in which we live, largely yes."

Why?
    Last edited by RonPaulVolunteer; 09-29-2011 at 04:49 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    View all the latest Ron Paul videos, including endorsements, media appearances, music videos, 2012 promos, campaign ads and more.
    I am the creator of RonPaulFLIX.com & RonPaulPOSTS.com, and the GOTV site RonPaulVolunteer.com, and co-creator of the Blue Republican movement
    Stop dreaming of what YOU can do - just do it

Whoah!! That is awesome!
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Maybe in the flimsy utilitarian approach to libertarianism, but the crux difference is between Natural Law (Natural rights) libertarianism and Progressivism. I think the first quote in my signature is all you need to know.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

The question is not the correct one. Even in a case where government might protect adequately, that doesn't mean it should be their responsibility. The real question is what is the proper role for government? Ron Paul was spot on in answering Jon that the real problem is government scope creep. Even if a government solution starts out well, in time, government bureaucracy will grow with attendent moral hazard and inefficiencies/incompetence if not outright corruption.

I think this article is fantastic for progressives to read and get them to start thinking critically about this stuff.

Right now it seems like they will get behind anything (AKA a "jobs" bill) just because it is supported by MSNBC and Obama and Republicans are against it..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Does the failure of government to protect adequately make it a failure of government having that responsibility? Does their inability to do it effectively make it so that they shouldn't do it?
    The pragmatic answer:

Yes.
    Why?
    Three word answer: no pricing information

Longer:
    I'll address charity, since it's a common one.

Markets work because there's constant feedback. Charity A folds because word gets around it's run by a heartless shrew who's skimming off the top, and donations dry up. Sure, the market may miss it for a while, but here's the kicker: a government-run bureacracy doesn't have to answer to the donors or the clients. It answers to whoever signs the checks. As long as they can continue to pull the wool over their financier's eyes, they get funded.

There's no punishment for performing poor service. Customers can't desert. They're captive.

The way a business grows is to provide good service for the money. The way a bureaucracy grows is to convince their financier that the problem is getting worse every year.

There's a built-in incentive to fail, to grow the market by making more people dependent on the services being provided.

Private charities spend their money wisely and satisfy the donors and clients, or the donors donate elsewhere and the clients follow the money.

Monopolies never work out for the customer, whether they're privately created or courtesy of regulation.
    Follow my blog at http://tirelessagorist.blogspot.com/
    Current commentary from a libertarian/voluntaryist/agorist perspective.

Consistent Candidate - with Chainspell

Ron Paul Landslide by Jake Kellen - Constitution Mix

The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Great article. Very strong arguments.

A fantastic article!

Another article

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...n-second-gear/
    Read the many, many comments! Ron's winning hearts and minds. Awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomProsperityPeace View Post
    Great article. Very strong arguments.
    Yes, indeed, a great article. And precisely for the reason you state: VERY strong arguments!
    There is only one success -- to be able to spend your life in your own way.
    -- Christopher Morley (1890 - 1957)

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    lol
    You are the Universe experiencing itself

!!!

Bunkloco
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Wow! That was hands down the best article I have read in a long time. It nearly perfectly explains why Ron Paul's Constitutional philosophy would be the best agenda for America and all Americans.

I was impressed.
    Carole

"Mr. Chairman, we have in this Country one of the most corrupt institutions the world has ever known. I refer to the Federal Reserve Board and the Federal Reserve Banks, hereinafter called the Fed. The Fed has cheated the Government of these United States and the people of the United States out of enough money to pay the Nation's debt. The depredations and iniquities of the Fed has cost enough money to pay the National debt several times over. -Cong. Louis McFadden

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Strong arguments, yes. Moreover, the article encapsulates just why it is so difficult to explain in a thirty or sixty second sound byte.
    Carole

"Mr. Chairman, we have in this Country one of the most corrupt institutions the world has ever known. I refer to the Federal Reserve Board and the Federal Reserve Banks, hereinafter called the Fed. The Fed has cheated the Government of these United States and the people of the United States out of enough money to pay the Nation's debt. The depredations and iniquities of the Fed has cost enough money to pay the National debt several times over. -Cong. Louis McFadden

Re-tweeted!
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

OMG!

What a terrible excuse of an article!

OMG!

What an amazing flood of comments filled to the brim and overflowing with information, good sense, and fair play! Amazing!!!

Someone needs to let Ron Paul know that there ARE many Dems now who are going to be crossing over just for him.
    Last edited by Carole; 09-29-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: spelling
    Carole

Be sure to read the second article and comments.

Post #15 by InTradePro
    Last edited by Carole; 09-29-2011 at 08:14 PM.
    Carole

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    what he said
    I wish I could afford a cool Ron Paul T-shirt or bumper sticker. :-(