Thread: Ron Paul's views on homebirth

Ron Paul's views on homebirth

This January my family will have our 2nd home birth and I have spoken to local representatives to encourage the liscensure of midwives in the state of Ohio. This morning I decided to see if there was any information regarding where Ron Paul stands on the issue and was so excited to find this video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjslpJam5W4

Before I start sharing this with my home birthing community I would like help clarifying his statement that he thinks there shouldn't be licensing for physicians. I know this will come up, so I'd like to be prepared since I have a hard time verbalizing my thoughts at times.

Also, one reason this issue is so important is because insurance companies generally do not cover home births. Medicaid certainly does not cover a home birth despite the fact that in most births they would save a lot of money. This currently makes this choice unavailable to many healthy pregnant mothers. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
    "Every generation deserves to live free." ~Ron Paul
    "It's hard to be free, but when it works it sure is worth it." ~Janis Joplin

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I can't answer specifically on this issue but him being for home birth would be consistent with his support of alternative healthcare. He sees Licensing as a way of reducing competition in the health care field.

Supporting Member
    Missouri

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by freeforall View Post
    This January my family will have our 2nd home birth and I have spoken to local representatives to encourage the liscensure of midwives in the state of Ohio. This morning I decided to see if there was any information regarding where Ron Paul stands on the issue and was so excited to find this video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjslpJam5W4

Before I start sharing this with my home birthing community I would like help clarifying his statement that he thinks there shouldn't be licensing for physicians. I know this will come up, so I'd like to be prepared since I have a hard time verbalizing my thoughts at times.

Also, one reason this issue is so important is because insurance companies generally do not cover home births. Medicaid certainly does not cover a home birth despite the fact that in most births they would save a lot of money. This currently makes this choice unavailable to many healthy pregnant mothers. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
    Medicaid does cover home birth in some states, with restrictions. However, they make it such a pain in the ass for midwives to actually get the money, that many of them never see all of it, some get tired of it and don't bother filing all the necessary documents.