Thread: Ron Paul and Sunzi's "Art of War"

Cool Ron Paul and Sunzi's "Art of War"

I was browsing through Sunzi's "Art of War" in a bookstore the other day and was completely awestruck by how some parts of it seem to mirror Dr. Paul's views on war... I have quoted the relevant portions below. It seems that Dr. Paul understands war at least as much as Sunzi did.

From the Art of War by Sunzi. Text is in italics, followed by commentary.

No nation has ever benefited from protracted warfare.
    Hmm, how long have these wars been going on now?

A nation can be impoverished by the army when it has to supply the army at great distances.
    Hmm, are we becoming impoverished? How far away are Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Yemen, Pakistan, etc.?

When provisions are transported at great distances, the citizens will be impoverished.
    Ditto.

Those in proximity to the army will sell goods at high prices.
    Inflation? You don't say...

When goods are expensive, the citizens' wealth will be exhausted.
    Ditto.

When their wealth is exhausted, the peasantry will be afflicted with increased taxes.
    What did Obama ask for in his recent "jobs speech"? Oh yeah, more taxes.

When all strength has been exhausted and resources depleted, all houses in the central plains utterly impoverished, seven-tenths of the citizens' wealth dissipated, the government's expenses from damaged chariots, worn-out horses, armor, helmets, arrows and crossbows, halberds and shields, draft oxen, and heavy supply wagons, will be six-tenths of its reserves.
    So prolonged war dramatically reduces the people's wealth and starts consuming a huge percentage of the national budget?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I love this book, those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.