Thread: 22 revolver

22 revolver

So I bought my first gun the other month. A 38 spl smith and wesson "bodyguard". I love it. It's great. The problem is I'm 23 in my last semester at college. Bullets are pretty expensive. It's about 20 bucks for 50 shells. I want to buy a 22. I prefer revolvers over magazines. Does anyone have suggestions on models or specific guns? My main motivation is bullet cost. I'd like to spend 200-300 on a gun so that I can buy cheaper 22 bullets with my buddies when we go shooting.
    -Ancap-

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    First take a look at the reloading thread pinned atop this subforum. Might as well start reloading sooner rather than later if you in any way can.

For revolvers, S&W makes some very nice .22 models, but they are generally more than $2-300. Keep an eye out on places like http://thehighroad.ord and http://thefiringline.com classified sections, and http://gunbroker.com as well.

For new guns in that price range look at Taurus and Charter Arms. Ruger makes great single action .22 revolves, but those are generally going to be $400 or more like the S&W double action models.

You can probably find a Taurus in your price range. That should be fine for your purposes.

However, if you are not in a mad rush to purchase a .22 revolver, I’d take your time, save a little more money and find a S&W K22 Masterpiece. It’s considered to be one of the finest .22 double-action revolvers ever manufactured. They tend to go from around $5-700 on the auction sites (seen them go for far less and far more).

I'd also take _b_'s advice and look into reloading cartridges for your .38. Over time it saves $$$!

Lots of models. Many are copies of the "single six".

I would look through the used gun sections of gun stores. Especially the small shops. You can find good deals there at well below list price, and sometimes you can haggle.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

.22?? get a 357 mag or .44 special !!!!! hehehehe I personally love my .44 special revolver..
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    .22?? get a 357 mag or .44 special !!!!! hehehehe I personally love my .44 special revolver..

I think he is concerned with Ammo costs.
    A .22 is great for honing skills. And cheap plinking.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

When I was a kid in high school , I had a Smith .22 revolver , nine shot if I recall , it was not expensive and very accurate , cheap to shoot .

I often wonder why hardcore gun enthusiasts are always knocking 22's and other small guns. Are they really that ineffectual? I would think hot lead, whether fired from a cannon or a mousegun, would hurt like Hell either way.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    I often wonder why hardcore gun enthusiasts are always knocking 22's and other small guns. Are they really that ineffectual? I would think hot lead, whether fired from a cannon or a mousegun, would hurt like Hell either way.
    Hurt like hell? Absolutely! Ultimately cause death? Often enough. Reliable at stopping an attack? Nope. That's why.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Stopping power, my friend..

I even have problem not knocking .223 and .38 special.. Even they are kinda sissy in my book..
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

40 grain .22 will probably travel 1 1/2 miles ( so , be careful ) . Great for small game .

Stopping power, my friend..

I even have problem not knocking .223 and .38 special.. Even they are kinda sissy in my book..
    I'm sad to hear it. At 5'4'' and 130 lbs, there's no way I could comfortably conceal anything bigger than a snub-nose 38, not even taking into account the kick or recoil when it finally comes to firing one.

Ah, to live to see the day when they finally invent laser guns and light-sabers! That will be an amazing time to be a concealed carrier, and an American!
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

---Me

I'm sad to hear it. At 5'4'' and 130 lbs, there's no way I could comfortably conceal anything bigger than a snub-nose 38, not even taking into account the kick or recoil when it finally comes to firing one.

Ah, to live to see the day when they finally invent laser guns and light-sabers! That will be an amazing time to be a concealed carrier, and an American!
    I am sure you could carry a compact 1911 .45 acp.. that is my favorite caliber pistol..

all I am saying is if you are trying to deter an attack as fast and efficiently as possible, i'd go higher caliber.. but thats just me.

I am sure you could carry a compact 1911 .45 acp.. that is my favorite caliber pistol..
    Cool! Thanks for the recommendation; I'll have to check that one out. I know next to nothing about guns, but I love getting tips and/or recommendations from people who are more knowledgeable.

---John Lennon

---Me

Yeah, the main issue is ammo costs. I do plan on refilling my shells. I kept all my 38 shells so far. I know it depends on the price but do you guys find it better to fill yourself or pay for someone else to do it?
    -Ancap-

I'm an inch taller and 10lb heavier than you and I can carry a fullsized CZ when I want to. Granted, it is hard to conceal and very heavy, but it can be done. For something with more power than a .38 snub you can get a Kahr in .40 or .45 that will be pretty small and easy to conceal.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post

I think he is concerned with Ammo costs.
    A .22 is great for honing skills. And cheap plinking.
    and a wonderful tool if you hate prairie dogs.

i feel your pain! i finally went with a taurus 709 slim 7+1 (9 mm... i know i know, but i carry hollow points) and will be having a special holster made for concealing. kind of wishing i'd just bought an AK, though. i don't like the taurus as much as my beretta.

there is nothing wrong with a smaller caliber weapon. just don't expect a person to be effectively deterred by one.

My primary protection firearm was my first purchase, a 38 special bodyguard by smith and wesson. I would like to buy a 22 to save on ammo costs.
    -Ancap-

Quote Originally Posted by _b_ View Post
    For new guns in that price range look at Taurus and Charter Arms.
    I would be wary of Taurus, Rossi, etc. as I have been told by highly competent gunsmiths that the steel in their guns is not as good as that found in Smiths and Rugers.

Bob Munden (google him) reworks SA Ruger Vaqueros for Cowboy Action shooting. His work is muy $$ and is really nice. My friend had a pair done and they are magnificent works. Bob is a very down to earth guy, knows his business, and will NOT work on these south of the border guns because he says they will not stand up to the use. Make of that what you will.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

I often wonder why hardcore gun enthusiasts are always knocking 22's and other small guns. Are they really that ineffectual?
    They can be. When someone is drunk enough, stoned snough, or just plainly mad enough even a larger bore, higher energy gun may fail to stop on the first shot. My father had a shooting buddy who owned a liquor store in Brooklyn. One day he put 33 rounds of 9mm into a robber - all center of mass shots, before he dropped... and died. He was apparently high on something, was a LARGE person and, luckily for the shooter, walking very slowly toward him. Had be been a little more in his right wits, and had been rushing, the outcome may have been very different. This is one of those freakish kooky situations, but they do happen and when they do you do not want to tossing spit balls at an assailant. Hell, I might carry a 500 Smith if they were not so ridiculously large... and I had any money.

I would think hot lead, whether fired from a cannon or a mousegun, would hurt like Hell either way.
    Hurting is not the issue - stopping is. I was shot with a .22 when I was 15. It did not stop me, nor did it so much as slow me down as I hauled ass away. I did, however, hurt - though I did not notice until I got back to my dorm room. Being shot is no picnic, even with a pea shooter. The problem arises when adrenalin and perhaps determination are in strong effect. Everyone is different. Shoot one guy, he falls down even if the wound is superficial (probably describes me). Another guy gets way pissed and becomes implacably determined to get his hands on you. This is why, if you are ever painted into the unpleasant corner wherein you must shoot someone, you are well advised to deliver unequivocal force in order to best ensure that the source of threat is put to rest as rapidly as possible.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.