Thread: Muddled Stance On Afghanistan: Bring The Troops Home…But Not Now…Maybe Leave 40K troops

Muddled Stance On Afghanistan: Bring The Troops Home…But Not Now…Maybe Leave 40K troops

Perry’s Muddled Stance On Afghanistan: Bring The Troops

http://thinkprogress.org/security/20...ce-afghanistan

The adviser told Rogin:
    In the dynamic of a debate when you follow someone, you kind of play off of them, and what Gov. Perry wanted to do was to express a similar sentiment to Gov. Huntsman that he very much wants to bring the troops home, we all do, but he wasn’t saying, “I want to bring the troops home now.”
    He went on:
    Gov. Perry is not confident in the Obama policy, which seems to be driven largely by politics, and he’s not confident in the 100,000 troops number. He’d like to know if it’s possible at 40,000.
    But asked what Perry’s target number would be — not just a hypothetical — the adviser was short on specifics: “We’re not in a position to answer that question, we’re not in those briefings.”
    Speaking to Time Magazine this week, Perry was equally vague:
    I think we need to try to move our men and women home as soon as we can. Not just in Afghanistan, but in Iraq as well. And we’ve got to continually reassess our objectives. We need to make strategic decisions based on consultation with our military leaders on the ground, rather than just some arbitrary political promises.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If his desire to bring the troops home as soon as possible is a strong as Obama's, those soldiers will never see their grandchildren be born.
    "I'm not just trying to win or get elected. I am trying to change the course of history" - Ron Paul

Rick Perry clarifies: No speedy withdrawal from Afghanistan
    Thursday, September 15, 2011
    Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry kicked up a firestorm inside the GOP when he seemed to endorse Jon Huntsman's call for a speedy withdrawal from Afghanistan during this week's debate, but his real views on Afghanistan don't match those of Huntsman, the GOP hawks, or President Barack Obama, a senior Perry foreign policy advisor told The Cable.

"In the dynamic of a debate when you follow someone, you kind of play off of them, and what Gov. Perry wanted to do was to express a similar sentiment to Gov. Huntsman that he very much wants to bring the troops home, we all do, but he wasn't saying ‘I want to bring the troops home now,'" the advisor said.
    http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/po...om_afghanistan
    Huntsman got applause after saying we should bring the troops home from Afghanistan. I think this just means Perry wanted applause too, so he said the same thing - but don't worry he doesnt actually mean it. I wonder who his foreign policy advisor is that he doesn't realize how implausible this sounds.