Thread: The Ghost in the Skyline

The Ghost in the Skyline

Thought I'd share a pic I took today.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chester Copperpot

what are we supposed to be looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mitrosky View Post
    what are we supposed to be looking at?
    Doesn't it look familiar? Have you seen no television at all today?
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    actually, i've been purposefully avoiding television today.

is it supposed to look like one of the twin towers??

Chester Copperpot

I dont usually watch any tv... Today was no exception... During 9/11/01 I had to go a half mile up the road to get on a high hill to see the towers burning because I had no idiot box (tv)...

But I take from your response that youre looking at the similarity in the construction from this building to the wtc.

I was looking for some sort of ghost image in the picture.

More than a little. Except for the arched windows in the lobby, it's basically a scale model. Same architect, same design, same oversized central elevator structure and 'curtain wall' around the outside with no structurual supports in between. Only forty-somethiing floors, though.

It has been attracting a modicum of attention today, so I thought I'd just shoot it.

It was built about a half dozen years after the Twin Towers, and we mainly knew it as The Building They Built In The Middle Of The Damned Street, which made Boston Ave. feel a little claustrophobic. I always thought about it the same way I felt about the Twin Towers--way too tall to be off at one end of the skyline. I always prefered the Reading & Bates tower, at right in the photo and some half a dozen years newer, which was built in the style of the 1912 Mid-Continent Building.

Never shot it much before, as we have a collection of art deco second only to Flaglerville (Miami), and as you can see in the foreground, I just can't resist.

But, in honor of the day, I thought I'd just share Tulsa's single model of the Twin Towers.

Last edited by acptulsa; 09-11-2011 at 10:06 PM.

It has been attracting a modicum of attention today, so I thought I'd just shoot it.
    DHS is on the way. They would like ask you a few questions.

What is BOK?

This is what I did today, (no new video posted yet, this video is from last year's event):

(LoL at the extension pipe on the safety at 0:30)

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Fine. I'll be happy to teach them about the Fifth Amendment.

What is BOK?
    Depends on who you ask. I still call it the National Exchange Bank of Tulsa. On the stock exchange it's Bank of Oklahoma (BOk sounded better to them than BOO). Texans know it as Bank of Texas, but we've been neighbors long enough to know that they won't do business with you if you disrupt their fantasy that they're the center of the known universe.

This is what I did today, (no new video posted yet, this video is from last year's event):
    Looks even more fun than the Mt. Pleasant IA Steam Threshers Convention.

What is BOK?

(LoL at the extension pipe on the safety at 0:30)

oh my goodness that looks like so much fun!!

what are the names of such places, i forget... lakes? seas? oceans? i miss water!!! (the southwest and i don't get along very well)

Quote Originally Posted by flightlesskiwi View Post
    oh my goodness that looks like so much fun!!

what are the names of such places, i forget... lakes? seas? oceans? i miss water!!! (the southwest and i don't get along very well)
    That is Lake Winnipesaukee, Moultonboro Bay, in Central NH.

It is my backyard, basically.

This lake is five minutes from the house.

Think I'll link these pics here; this thread might be easier to find if someone needs them later...

The BOk tower at the Williams Center. Same architect, six years newer. Same structure. Except for the scale (less than half as tall, and much narrower in both width and length) the main architectural difference between this and the Twin Towers is that the lobby windows are arched.

Note the complete lack of verticals between the 'elevator core' and the outer walls.

That is Lake Winnipesaukee, Moultonboro Bay, in Central NH.
    It is my backyard, basically
    This lake is five minutes from the house.
    And of course you are a bill murray fan, how special that movie must have been for you.

Quite a lot of "debunking" played and plays on a complete misunderstanding of the very unique structural design of WTC1 and 2. This building illustrates it perfectly. To the best of my knowledge, those were/are the only three skyscrapers ever built that way.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 09-11-2021 at 08:12 AM.