Thread: A friend of mine asked me about Ron Paul's position on Israel...

A friend of mine asked me about Ron Paul's position on Israel...

...so I sent the following in the form of an email. If anyone here finds this message useful, or has suggestions on how I could have improved my response, please feel free to share them. I'd especially like to find more from the man himself regarding his position on Israel - perhaps an official statement from the campaign.

The message:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, I can summarize Ron Paul's position on Israel - let Israel handle Israel's problems, without interference from the United Nations or interference from the United States. Paul's position regarding Israel is that she is a sovereign nation; that she should determine her own course. Ron Paul's position on Israel is in line with that oft-repeated statement of Thomas Jefferson - "Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none."

This nation was not founded in the hope that it would grow into the policeman of the world. It was established in its founding documents in such a manner as to grow into a nation where individual liberty reigned supreme - where the people were above their government.

My study of the founders has shown me that their belief in the collective liberty of the individual - therefore, the liberty of the nation - required that America's foreign policy must reflect a desire that all nations enjoy the blessings of liberty and self-determination. Our founders, therefore, would agree with Dr. Paul's position on Israel.

I oughta get out of the way and let the man speak for himself! :-)

From newsmax.com, 20 May 2011:

"Ron Paul's statement, released immediately after the speech, reflected the congressman's long held views against American leaders meddling in the affairs of other countries. “Israel is our close friend," the statement reads, "While President Obama’s demand that Israel make hard concessions in her border conflicts may very well be in her long-term interest, only Israel can make that determination on her own, without pressure from the United States or coercion by the United Nations."

From http://www.americansforisrael.com/:

"With all the Progressive media spin, we don’t realize that the best way to support Israel is by not meddling in Israel’s internal affairs but to allow Israelis to defend themselves however they see fit. Nobody understands this better than Congressman Ron Paul, and that’s why Americans For Israel is proud to support this true Conservative."

From Ronpaul.com:

"I am concerned that the weapons currently being used by Israel against the Palestinians in Gaza are made in America and paid for by American taxpayers. What will adopting this resolution do to the perception of the United States in the Muslim and Arab world? What kind of blowback might we see from this? What moral responsibility do we have for the violence in Israel and Gaza after having provided so much military support to one side?"

(No kidding. Maybe Al Qaeda and other terrorist organizations despise the United States not because "We're the freest people on the Earth," as President Bush stated, or because we are a nation founded on Judeo-Christian values, but rather because we have "taken sides" against them since 1947...I'm just saying.)

To that end, from a private blog post:

"Ron Paul would not stop Israel from defending her interests in any way she saw fit. When Israel attacked a nuclear reactor in Iraq in 1981, almost the entire U.S. Congress voted to condemn the act. Ron Paul was one of the few dissenters: he voted against the condemnation and in favor of Israel’s right to self-determination."

Please be sure to click the links I've made for you, read the information, and make up your own mind. Also, please feel free to send this message along to others that you think may also be curious to know of Dr. Paul's position on Israel. I take it as a blessing that I might have the opportunity to help you find the answers you seek!
    Last edited by NorfolkPCSolutions; 09-08-2011 at 03:09 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

What did they say?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."