Thread: What should be the main goal of the campaign for the 9/7/11 Politico debate?

What should be the main goal of the campaign for the 9/7/11 Politico debate?

Obviously to leave better than they enter... But pretend that the higher ups are reading this thread. What is the view from the outside looking in? Which actions should and should not be repeated?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    To crush Rick Perry, see him driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of his women.

Quote Originally Posted by AggieforPaul View Post
    To crush Rick Perry, see him driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of his women.
    nice
    Do you live in Michigan? Join our meetup and help spread the Ron Paul message!!

http://www.meetup.com/ronpaul-39/

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
    --Thomas Jefferson

Instead of focusing on being the peace candidate, focus on being the candidate who can fix the economy. I realize foreign policy has a great deal to do with that, but just saying: bring the troops home, isn't going to be enough to be seen as the candidate who can fix the economy. The goal of the debate should be to show Ron is the only one with answers, when it comes to economics. When he is asked a silly question, he should blast the question, then turn to the economy--because that's what people want to hear about.
    "And who the hell are you?" he asked. "Me?" said Galt. "I'm the driver."

He needs to attack other people on their big government histories to have another Giuliani moment. He should also be very radical to grab more headlines like list off a bunch of agencies/programs he would eliminate.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDriver View Post
    Instead of focusing on being the peace candidate, focus on being the candidate who can fix the economy. I realize foreign policy has a great deal to do with that, but just saying: bring the troops home, isn't going to be enough to be seen as the candidate who can fix the economy. The goal of the debate should be to show Ron is the only one with answers, when it comes to economics. When he is asked a silly question, he should blast the question, then turn to the economy--because that's what people want to hear about.
    This.

Also he should have a magnificent introduction and end statement ready to go.
    Terminus tela viaticus!

If anyone asks him about 'ending' or the Constitutionality of social security/medicare, make sure to get out his transition plan, where seniors who already paid in too much to make up still get it, it is funded by cuts elsewhere, and kids can opt out. Need to work on those 50+ numbers, and I am CERTAIN it is the spin on those issues that is causing the problem.

Other than that, make the points he wants people to hear.

And yeah, a killer opening and close are called for. Jack Hunter might be a help there.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

I think the campaign has already set the stage, and deliberately so, with their attack ad on Rick Perry. The moderators are sure to bring it up. I think they want it to be a Paul/Perry debate. As I've said elsewhere, I think this strategy is a little premature. I think Perry should have to struggle to get noticed in his first debate, and the Paul campaign is guaranteeing him coverage. The media loves controversy.

The upside is that it could elevate RP's campaign standing as the anti-Perry candidate, and it looks like they're trying to do that before anyone else gets a chance to. It's a calculated risk, but it also shows that they're determined to take advantage of Ron Paul's new-found first-tier status. It could boost his campaign big-time. The downside for Paul probably isn't too great, but it could also could back-fire and boost Perry even more.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Excellent! Take him down with the Conanator!
    Ron Paul: He irritates more idiots in fewer words than any American politician ever.

NO MORE LIARS! Ron Paul 2012

...based on what we know of Paul, unless Perry goes after Ron directly...Ron is not going to attack any candidate while they are on stage...and simply referring to them as status quo is not going to cut it...many of the candidates are now articulating Ron's message and it is going to confuse the audience. He needs to be likable and that nice exchange with Gingrich over the FED was a good start...he needs to appear as part of the group and not the outsider...naturally the war issue is going to differentiate him when he calls for the troops to come home BUT he must offer a transition plan...he needs to give specifics on his issues...Ron has to do a better job at articulating solutions to the problems facing the country and emphasize his relationship with Reagan without criticizing Reagan like he did last time...

in the forum on Mon, it seemed that Ron emphasized one central point, the FED is cause of the problems but as President he couldn't get rid of the FED, the Congress must do that...

I hope ROn doesnt get distracted by the FEMA questions etc...cause that is where Perry could attack Paul on...and it is one of those issues that doesnt really help us and makes Ron look cold..

Yeah I think he needs to be prepared for the gotcha's and mud slinging... Iran, FEMA, CRA, etc. I'm particularly tired of having to be the 'clean-up crew'. I know his positions don't lend themselves toward 30 second responses especially when they're misrepresented in the questioning... But the good thing is that this should be expected by now. We KNOW they'll make him look heartless first and THEN ask him an outlying question.
    This time around I'd like to see him actually help the audience follow his logic, when he cuts down to the idea that's being thrown at him. Identify the principle behind their point then show them why it's wrong. Milton Friedman did it... it's all over youtube.

This gets + rep because its so bad ass. What is best in life Conan?..lol

The same as the goal for every debate and public appearance by Ron Paul: to demonstrate his command of the issues, to appear presidential, and to remind people of his unmatched record as a fiscal conservative.
    Rand Paul is in the top 1% of US Senators.

Jobs will certainly be a topic, and I think he could differentiate himself from the "I will create jobs"/"My record as governor shows that..."/"Obama has done a terrible job at creating jobs" answers by stating:

1. The reason we don't have jobs is because politicians think it is their job to create them
    2. Politicians can't create jobs without first TAKING from the people
    3. The problem with this or any other government program is extremely inefficient
    4. "It's like a blood transfusion from your left arm to your right arm and you spill half the blood on the floor" (Peter Schiff quote)
    5. The best thing we could do is abandon the notion that our economy should be centrally planned by bureaucrats, and instead get the government and bureaucrats out of the way and facilitate job growth with sound money, low taxes, less regulations etc.

The problem with avoiding the FEMA debate is we're winning it. Some may be tired of playing 'clean up crew' but I'm not--mainly because I love my country and we're being successful at it. This is not the time to let up. It would be like snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I want to see him concentrate on defining how his principles work in practice. I want to see him emphasize Harding and Coolidge and the Roaring Twenties, in order to demonstrate that government can't fix this economy, it can only stop trashing it. And I want him to find a way to make it clear that letting state and local governments work unimpeded isn't the heartless tack, but the kind position--and the fact that FEMA is mucking things up in Texas just like they did in New Orleans and Joplin is the perfect vehicle for this.

+rep to ronpaultag, that is the idea. I'd love, myself, to hear him invoke the elephant in the room which seniors need to hear--this nation is becoming the Soviet Union. And that's the very reason it's failing as the Soviet Union did, too. There's your moment. Short term the oldsters will be upset, the press will see a chance to trash him and make the most of it, and the long term Republicans on this board will cry all night about what a stupid thing it was to do. Then on Thursday morning all of those seventy year old die-hard voters will wake up, say 'Oh my God he's right,' and begin to understand why we're exactly what this country needs.

It's a short term loss, but a long term gain. And this is the right time for it.

As for attacking Perry directly, I strongly disagree. He's just their latest stooge. To treat him as if he's anything more than that would be to convince some voters that he's something more than that.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 09-07-2011 at 05:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.