Thread: Million vs Billion vs Trillion

Million vs Billion vs Trillion

One of my math professors talked about how these words don't really have an emotional impact on us. For example, if you say there is one person in a room.... and then say there are 100 in another room, we can say, wow that's a big difference. But words like millions, billions, and trillions don't have the same impact.

He went on to do some numbers that have relevance to us:

1 million seconds = 11.5 days
    1 billion seconds = 31.7 YEARS
    1 trillion seconds = 31,700 YEARS!!!

If the average American could actually grasp onto this concept, we'd have a helluvalotta more patriots coming towards freedom and fiscal responsibility!

If the government paid $400 MILLION a day towards our debt, or $146 BILLION a YEAR ... it would take ONE HUNDRED YEARS to pay off! And that's assuming no additional debt is added and no interest.... to factor these in, along with future obligations, would probably make your head explode.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho