Thread: 2012 County Convention and Precinct Caucus Dates

2012 County Convention and Precinct Caucus Dates

At the State Central Committee Meeting on Saturday August 27, the Central Committee voted not to "go early", i.e. not to go before New Hampshire, Iowa, etc. County Conventions will be on March 6 (Tuesday, Super Tuesday) through March 10 (Saturday).

Precinct caucuses: State bylaw provides: "Precinct Caucuses shall be held not more than twenty five (25) days nor less than ten (10) days prior to the County Convention or as provided by County Bylaws." The date will be set by the county chairman.

There will also likely be a straw poll; details to be determined at the next State Central Committee Meeting, Nov. 12.

Also: there will be a completely new platform and completely new resolutions; come prepared with suitable planks and resolutions.
    Put the "Republic" back in "Republican"!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    2/10 - 2/29: Precinct Caucuses will be held to elect delegates to County Conventions
    3/06 - 3/10: County Conventions will be held to elect delegates to the State Convention and 12 delegates to the Republican National Convention
    4/12 - 4/14: State Convention will be held to elect 14 delegates to the Republican National Convention

In Wyoming, you can become an automatic delegate at the County Conventions simply by becoming a Precinct Committeeman or Precinct Committeewoman (PC).

If there is a vacancy for PC in your precinct, all you have to do is ask your County Republican Party to be appointed to the position. The only requirement is that you reside in the precinct and you are a registered Republican.
    Last edited by tsai3904; 09-18-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Bump! We need everyone available to register. Is there a list of 08 donors as meetup groups to get people involved?

Let's get in contact with everyone already signed up here: http://www.facebook.com/rp2012wy there are 217 people there

Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    2/10 - 2/25: Precinct Caucuses will be held to elect delegates to County Conventions
    Hi, Tsai3904.

Thanks for doing the math. I came up with slightly different dates for the county conventions, and ran them past the state central committee's attorneys. These are probably the dates I will send to the county chairs for their planning. I came up with:

The state central committee set the dates for county conventions to be March 6 through 10, inclusive. The state bylaws provide:

Precinct Caucuses shall be held not more than twenty five (25) days nor less than ten (10) days prior to the County Convention or as provided by County Bylaws. IV 2. a., pg 9
    So, noting that 2012 is a leap year, and therefor February has 29 days, and ignoring county bylaw provisions, I figure:

• The earliest possible precinct caucus date is February 9 (assuming a March 6 county convention), and
    • The latest possible precinct date is February 29 (assuming a March 10 county convention).

Also, be aware that county bylaws may override this calculation.

Watch this closely. http://wygop.org/calendar-of-events/ The Agenda mode is useful. I will have events on there as counties feed them to me, so it is not 100% reliable.

3/06 - 3/10: County Conventions will be held to elect delegates to the State Convention and 12 delegates to the Republican National Convention
    4/12 - 4/14: State Convention will be held to elect 14 delegates to the Republican National Convention
    http://wygop.org/2012-state-convention/

Ron Paul supporters who are elected delegates should consider volunteering for the platform and resolutions committees. This year we have an excellent opportunity to influence those documents.

In Wyoming, you can become an automatic delegate at the County Conventions simply by becoming a Precinct Committeeman or Precinct Committeewoman (PC).

If there is a vacancy for PC in your precinct, all you have to do is ask your County Republican Party to be appointed to the position. The only requirement is that you reside in the precinct and you are a registered Republican.
    Quite right, and thanks for the research on vacancies. I expect there will be pressure on the county chairs to fill those vacancies ASAP.

You do not have to be a PC to be elected delegate to any of the three conventions. But PCs are ex officio delegates to the county convention. So there are plenty of routes to delegate status.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    I came up with slightly different dates for the county conventions,...
    Sorry, that should read, precinct caucuses, not county conventions.

Thanks for doing the math. I came up with slightly different dates for the precinct caucuses, and ran them past the state central committee's attorneys. These are probably the dates I will send to the county chairs for their planning. I came up with:

So, noting that 2012 is a leap year, and therefor February has 29 days, and ignoring county bylaw provisions, I figure:

• The earliest possible precinct caucus date is February 9 (assuming a March 6 county convention), and
    • The latest possible precinct date is February 29 (assuming a March 10 county convention).
    If the County Convention is on March 6 and the Precinct Caucus can't be more than 25 days before, I'm still getting February 10 as the earliest possible date. February 9 would be 26 days before March 6. Maybe I'm not thinking too hard right now but that's what I'm coming up with.

You're right about the latest possible Precinct Caucus being February 29.

Quite right, and thanks for the research on vacancies. I expect there will be pressure on the county chairs to fill those vacancies ASAP.
    From the research I did, there are currently at least 300 PC vacancies. These need to be filled with Ron Paul supporters ASAP as they are filled on a first come first serve basis. I've been trying to get the word out and have been getting tepid response. Do you have any ideas how we can let supporters know about this?
    Last edited by tsai3904; 09-18-2011 at 11:20 AM.

The first thing you need to know is who supports Ron Paul in Wyoming, either through robo pollings or donation lists from the campaign. Then you can ask them to sign-up to be PCs.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I had called the state GOP a month or so ago and a guy there told me to check back in a month and they'd know the dates then. So today I did and then was going to post the information on a thread here, but lo! and behold!, Wyoming already did a long time ago. Anyway, all the excitement about "First contest" was false alarm; Wyoming is irrelevant once more. Sorry for any confusion I caused.

Still, we should try to get as many of those 30 delegates or whatever as possible. Exactly how many does Wyoming get?
    Last edited by helmuth_hubener; 10-01-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Good News! Today I got an email saying that I was appointed precinct committee person.... !
    "In the beginning, the Patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." ~ Mark Twain

On Becoming a PC

Quote Originally Posted by WyoLiberty View Post
    Good News! Today I got an email saying that I was appointed precinct committee person.... !
    Congratulations.

Now show up for meetings, take on jobs (and deliver on them!) so you get the respect of the rest of the committee. Being a PC makes you a county convention delegate, but not a state or national delegate. For those you need to earn the votes of your fellow PCs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Still, we should try to get as many of those 30 delegates or whatever as possible. Exactly how many does Wyoming get?
    Wyoming gets a grand total of 55 delegates and alternates, giving Wyoming one of the larger delegations, certainly a large delegation for its size.

However, some delegates are ex officio: 2 RNC members and the state chairman, who do not get alternates. So we get 29 delegates and 26 alternates. We will elect 12 delegates and 12 alternates at county conventions and the rest of the elected delegates and alternates at state convention.

It will not hurt to go as an alternate, so don't turn that down. If you are elected alternate in County Convention, you are alternate for your paired county's delegate. If that delegate drops out, you get promoted delegate and you are in.

I am not sure how it works for the delegates and alternates elected at the state convention.