Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I may never grill steak again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    Does the peanut oil leave any of that peanut taste? That'd be my only concern.
    Nope. You've never had fries done in peanut oil?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ohhhh yeahhhhh...Copeland's in NOLA, extra rare filet, they skillet cook the steaks.

Damn, that is tasty...

Have to try that at home. Thanks for posting!

If any of you out there are steak lovers, you must find a cast iron skillet, and try making your steaks with the directions below.

http://nolafoodie.com/2010/01/cookin...-iron-skillet/

I live in NYC and get to eat top flight steaks from time to time, but I just did an 8oz filet using those directions, and it was better than most restaurant filets I've had. Seriously. Redonkulously delicious.

If you try it, really try and follow the directions verbatim. Let the steak get up to room temp first. And when he says get the skillet up to 500, get it there. And he's right if you want medium rare, you'll want to leave it on the skillet when you throw it back in the oven for 5-6min (I tried one a few days ago taking it out at 4pm and it was cool-red (rare) in the middle...I like mine warm-red (medium rare).

The other thing is, after you pull them out and plate them, make sure to let them sit for 5-6 minutes. They won't get cold.

Oh yeah and don't go light on seasoning. First time I did I just did a little sprinkle, but be generous and it makes a super thin crust on the outside.

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 09-01-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    If any of you out there are steak lovers, you must find a cast iron skillet, and try making your steaks with the directions below.

http://nolafoodie.com/2010/01/cookin...-iron-skillet/

I live in NYC and get to eat top flight steaks from time to time, but I just did an 8oz filet using those directions, and it was better than most restaurant filets I've had. Seriously. Redonkulously delicious.

If you try it, really try and follow the directions verbatim. Let the steak get up to room temp first. And when he says get the skillet up to 500, get it there. And he's right if you want medium rare, you'll want to leave it on the skillet when you throw it back in the oven for 5-6min (I tried one a few days ago taking it out at 4pm and it was cool-red (rare) in the middle...I like mine warm-red (medium rare).

The other thing is, after you pull them out and plate them, make sure to let them sit for 5-6 minutes. They won't get cold.

Oh yeah and don't go light on seasoning. First time I did I just did a little sprinkle, but be generous and it makes a super thin crust on the outside.

Without a doubt, cast iron is the way to go. Do a nice Ribeye next, 2 minutes each side and into the oven for a few minutes. Medium rare is the way to go and a digital themometer can help.

Always let the meat rest!

Do NOT cut into it until it has sat on a plate for 5 minutes. It's all about the redistribution of juice.
    Last edited by Cleaner44; 09-01-2011 at 08:47 PM.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 02-21-2013 at 10:47 PM.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Excellent link!

Also, you don't need to spend a fortune on a cast iron skillet. Mine is 100+ years old and it works just fine.
    It is all we use. We have a large collection. Just picked up a large 14" round, red-enameled cast iron grill with weight for $5 at the local flea market. I looked up the price and it was $107. This one looked to have been unused... at least up to the point we got our manky hands on it.

Flea markets are miraculous places at times.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

I tried this verbatim. It was definitely not as good as grilling a steak. It was a pretty juicy and cooked medium rare just right, but it did not have that awesome flavor that you get from grilling over charcoals and wood smoke. But it did smoke up my house something fierce. Will not try this again.
    Last edited by Justinjj1; 09-03-2011 at 09:13 PM.

I live in NYC and get to eat top flight steaks from time to time,
    Ever eat at Gallaghers?

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Nope. You've never had fries done in peanut oil?
    Peanut oil has a very high smoke point and leaves no flavor behind, as you must know. That's why so many (real) Chinese cooks use the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Ohhhh yeahhhhh...Copeland's in NOLA, extra rare filet, they skillet cook the steaks.

Damn, that is tasty...

Have to try that at home. Thanks for posting!

Oooh...with a scoop of mashed potatoes to soak up the juices. Yum.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

That is WAY too rare for my tastes, but whatever floats your boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

This guy really takes details to the next level. An excellent article, with pictures and a video. I mean, he goes into the specific type of spatula to use with them. And you know what, he's got a point!!!!

http://www.richsoil.com/cast-iron.jsp
    Last edited by pacelli; 09-03-2011 at 09:33 PM.
    Maxed out to ALL of Ron Paul's campaigns.

Listen to Liberty Tree Radio! ::

Pro-Liberty, Pro-Gun, Pro-Militia Radio 5 days a week, 10 LIVE HRS TALK RADIO PER DAY!

http://www.libertytreeradio.4mg.com

http://www.themicroeffect.com (8A - 11A EST daily)

http://www.live365.com/stations/edtheak47 (3 PM- 9 PM EST daily)

Organize, Arm, Equip, and Train as a Militia !

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Cool, purple center...heaven with a little salt and plain black pepper.

I hate rubs that contain powdered garlic.

I used to hate garlic, until I learned, years ago from the Frugal Gourmet (anybody remember that show?) that fresh garlic will not "come back" on you, only dried garlic powder will do that.

I tried a forty garlic clove chicken recipe of his one time and loved it, and have been a dedicated fresh garlic fan ever since.

But my steak? Rare and minimally seasoned, with just the taste of the meat.

If it's done properly, then cooking it any longer then that just makes it worse. Anybody who eats steak or Prime Rib cooked more than medium rare is really just doing it wrong.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I tried a forty garlic clove chicken recipe of his one time and loved it, and have been a dedicated fresh garlic fan ever since.
    you should try the garlic spread recipe (my wifes) that i posted. yum.
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post3517906
    we go through a lot of garlic around here

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    you should try the garlic spread recipe (my wifes) that i posted. yum.
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post3517906
    we go through a lot of garlic around here
    That just made my mouth water, literally.

Gooooood stuff. I'll have to try that some time.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Ever eat at Gallaghers?
    Mmmm, Gallagher's! I like their meat window, too.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    If it's done properly, then cooking it any longer then that just makes it worse. Anybody who eats steak or Prime Rib cooked more than medium rare is really just doing it wrong.
    Medium done FTW!
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Excellent link!

Also, you don't need to spend a fortune on a cast iron skillet. Mine is 100+ years old and it works just fine.
    The older the cast iron skillet the better they are if you are a genuine cook. People who know cast iron cookware live for the family heirlooms to be passed down providing it has been cared for properly. Biggest mistake is washing with soap-never ever ever use soap on cast iron. I own quite a bit of cast iron cookware and find some really neat deals in the junk shops where they are discarded by ignorant family members who think a seasoned pan is junk...
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by PeacePlan View Post
    I use cast iron to cook almost everything - eggs are one thing that I find do not cook well with cast iron. They last forever and will actually be better after 10 or 20 years use. Get Lodge brand and you can't go wrong.
    In antiques Griswold and Wagner are premium finds...

Go Forward With Courage

-- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    Awesome! We go in with 2 other families on a side of beef. And I have a huge cast iron skillet that I use to make pineapple upside down cake. I will definitely try this recipe. I love being adventerous!
    That is one of my favorites.

An old friend of my Mom's used to visit and she brought pineapple upside down cake pretty regular.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Honestly, I'm surprised you just found this technique which is so profound, especially with southern people.
    I was thinking the same thing about the fact this wasn't a common knowledge method. Of course I'm from the south so maybe that's why I accept it as such. Steaks are one of my favorite things to cook as they are so easy. I marinate at room temperature in worcestershire sauce with some grated black pepper for at least an hour. Get the pan super hot then cover the pan with seasoning salt let the salt get hot for about 20-30 seconds and drop the steak on top of it to coat the outside. Cook depending on the cut, but under cook because it continues to cook after you take it off the heat. Don't flip too many times as that disturbs the cooking and leads to tough meat...

Go Forward With Courage

-- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexMac View Post
    Mmmm, Gallagher's! I like their meat window, too.
    I will take that as a yes.

Last time I was there was 97... back when I was, erm.. "successful". I had a filet @ $53. Ate it seated next to Paul Schaeffer (sp??).

That filet must be close to $100 now. But yeah, their meat locker is way cool.

You a native of NYC? I am. Aside not being able to afford it anymore, I am not sure I could live there. Too nutty anymore. Besides, I feel naked without la pistola.

I will take that as a yes.

Last time I was there was 97... back when I was, erm.. "successful". I had a filet @ $53. Ate it seated next to Paul Schaeffer (sp??).

That filet must be close to $100 now. But yeah, their meat locker is way cool.

You a native of NYC? I am. Aside not being able to afford it anymore, I am not sure I could live there. Too nutty anymore. Besides, I feel naked without la pistola.

Originally from TX but lived in NYC last year and am in CT on the Metro North line (so still commutable) at the moment Believe it or not, you can still get a Gallagher's filet for around 50 bucks today. Pretty much all the midtown steakhouses are within a few dollars of $50, except Smith and Wollensky's and that's not because their steak is any better, really. I loved living in NYC. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

$50 for a steak? Good lord.

Let's see, the farmer down the road gives me hanging weight whole cow at $1.45/lb. The butcher charges me another $1.10/lb to cut it any way I want. The hanging weight is usually around 600 lbs. for about $1530 altogether.

Once cut, the steaks, burger, etc weigh in at about 450lbs. That's about $3.40/lb finished for everything. Darn good natural grazed grass fed local organic lean beef.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

Yep, you definitely pay a premium for the privilege of eating it in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by Icymudpuppy View Post
    $50 for a steak? Good lord.

Let's see, the farmer down the road gives me hanging weight whole cow at $1.45/lb. The butcher charges me another $1.10/lb to cut it any way I want. The hanging weight is usually around 600 lbs. for about $1530 altogether.

Once cut, the steaks, burger, etc weigh in at about 450lbs. That's about $3.40/lb finished for everything. Darn good natural grazed grass fed local organic lean beef.
    That is the best way to do it!
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by TexMac View Post
    Originally from TX but lived in NYC last year and am in CT on the Metro North line (so still commutable) at the moment Believe it or not, you can still get a Gallagher's filet for around 50 bucks today. Pretty much all the midtown steakhouses are within a few dollars of $50, except Smith and Wollensky's and that's not because their steak is any better, really. I loved living in NYC. I'd go back in a heartbeat.
    I loved growing up there when it was broken and filthy and dangerous because it was a real place where the incalculably wealthy lived beside the poor, the freaks, the mishapen, the whores, the addicts, the dealers, artists, weirdos, and everyone else. Then in the late 80s they sold it all to McDonalds and Disney and it became a homogenized nonsense. Lost a lot of its character as the city in which I grew up. The nightclubs were great, the womyn fab. Not so much anymore. But I still miss it and all my friends and family. WV is a great state, but I moved here because I became po', primarily. That's life.

I used to love going to the Oak Room at the Algonquin on Fridays for a belt of good single barrel whiskey and a nice steak. Or we'd go have dinner at Minetta Tavern in the Village. Then there is Murphy's on Second Avenue @ 52nd. Big long copper topped bar. Used to sit there for hours taking in Guiness and Black and Tans (real one's... Guiness w/Bass Ale). Those were good days. I do miss it.

Medium done FTW!
    May as well be eating flax seeds and tofu
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I loved growing up there when it was broken and filthy and dangerous because it was a real place where the incalculably wealthy lived beside the poor, the freaks, the mishapen, the whores, the addicts, the dealers, artists, weirdos, and everyone else. Then in the late 80s they sold it all to McDonalds and Disney and it became a homogenized nonsense.
    Pretty much what's become of every freaky, eclectic city or town in the nation over the last 30 years or so, from Key West to Austin to San Fran.

Nice and safe and homogenized just like you said, better for the masses roaming around, zoned out on Focusyn and Ignorital.

And where did all the blue collar gin mills go?

At any rate...

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    May as well be eating flax seeds and tofu
    WTF? So, is it bloody rare or crispy done that you prefer?

WTF? So, is it bloody rare or crispy done that you prefer?
    I prefer medium rare usually, but if it's some really high quality fresh meat I could be talked into going rare by the cook.

Anything more than medium rare is a crime against good steak..
    Last edited by dannno; 09-12-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast