Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: I may never grill steak again.

They take food real serious in La

I lived in Metaire, a suburb of NO when I worked at Blanchard 20 something years ago. A place on metaire road called Dixie Chicken and Ribs made the most tender flavorful ribs I ever had. I learned how they did that and told my friends in Texas that if they wanted to learn how to do ribs properly they would need to travel to Loooooooosiana to do so hahaha.

I was born and raised 30 miles outside of NYC and lived in the city for years. NO is definitely among the food places in the world to go to if you're really into it, I rank it right up there with NYC but much smaller. Hong Kong I rate #1, NYC #2 in that regard. In Hong Kong the saying is " we eat to live and live to eat" and they mean it.
    Last edited by Tudo; 12-25-2012 at 10:12 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bumping for the filets which are about to be seared. I'm loving the local farmers market. . Nom nom nom.............

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hmmm. Something different. A reverse sear. Might have to give it a try next time I fix steak.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Hmmm. Something different. A reverse sear. Might have to give it a try next time I fix steak.

Did he not take the time to render the fat on the sides? Half the time I spend on the cast iron is cooking that delicious fat on the sides.

How to turn a Lodge pan into a Griswold & Erie pan for under $20:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-in...Q4In0%3D%0D%0A

HOWEVER, make SURE you use a flap disc or other flexible tool:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-in...isc-69604.html
    And make SURE you don't use a heavy grit, and make SURE you don't dawdle when you're sanding it out. Grinders spin at around 10,000 RPM so if you hold it on the pan for more than a fraction of a second it's going to dig a divot into it. Thus the fine grit and floppy grinding surface: it minimizes that possibility. Keep it fine floppy grit and keep it in motion.

Also, angle grinders feed on human flesh. Earlier in the thread there was mention of men taking up hobbies that cause controlled bleeding.... well, grinder injuries are borderline. The kind of thing where you're putting direct pressure on it, and it doesn't hurt, and you're thinking you'll just superglue it back together, and then you look at it and yeah, maybe stitches are a good idea.

Anyway, back OT... you could do the same thing with sandpaper and a totally worn out brachialis muscle. A flexible back drill-mounted abrasive would work too, and be somewhere in between the angle grinder and hand work for speed. I personally hate grinding with a drill because a minute into it I start thinking "I'd be done by now if this was an angle grinder".

The trick is not to get it TOO fine. What I'd shoot for is to just knock down some of the high spots in the pan - scrape off the uppermost 1/32" or so. Leave some deep divots to start collecting gunk like in pacelli's link (http://www.richsoil.com/cast-iron.jsp).

I made the mistake with my everyday skillet of making it too smooth. It seasoned nicely but then there was a couple month period where the spatula took the seasoning off in flakes. It's great now, but it took as long for a smooth surface to get seasoning stuck all over, as it did for my larger Lodge pan which I didn't grind to even out completely.

ETA, of course you need to season it after grinding! It takes more effort to season bare metal... probably 3-4 sessions of seasoning in the oven before you can start using it.

Also, glad I ran into this thread! My mother stopped by this morning with a rib roast totally by surprise. Now I know what to do with it!
    Last edited by fisharmor; 12-19-2014 at 09:46 AM.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    How to turn a Lodge pan into a Griswold & Erie pan for under $20:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-in...Q4In0%3D%0D%0A

HOWEVER, make SURE you use a flap disc or other flexible tool:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-in...isc-69604.html
    And make SURE you don't use a heavy grit, and make SURE you don't dawdle when you're sanding it out. Grinders spin at around 10,000 RPM so if you hold it on the pan for more than a fraction of a second it's going to dig a divot into it. Thus the fine grit and floppy grinding surface: it minimizes that possibility. Keep it fine floppy grit and keep it in motion.

Also, angle grinders feed on human flesh. Earlier in the thread there was mention of men taking up hobbies that cause controlled bleeding.... well, grinder injuries are borderline. The kind of thing where you're putting direct pressure on it, and it doesn't hurt, and you're thinking you'll just superglue it back together, and then you look at it and yeah, maybe stitches are a good idea.

Anyway, back OT... you could do the same thing with sandpaper and a totally worn out brachialis muscle. A flexible back drill-mounted abrasive would work too, and be somewhere in between the angle grinder and hand work for speed. I personally hate grinding with a drill because a minute into it I start thinking "I'd be done by now if this was an angle grinder".

The trick is not to get it TOO fine. What I'd shoot for is to just knock down some of the high spots in the pan - scrape off the uppermost 1/32" or so. Leave some deep divots to start collecting gunk like in pacelli's link (http://www.richsoil.com/cast-iron.jsp).

I made the mistake with my everyday skillet of making it too smooth. It seasoned nicely but then there was a couple month period where the spatula took the seasoning off in flakes. It's great now, but it took as long for a smooth surface to get seasoning stuck all over, as it did for my larger Lodge pan which I didn't grind to even out completely.

ETA, of course you need to season it after grinding! It takes more effort to season bare metal... probably 3-4 sessions of seasoning in the oven before you can start using it.

Also, glad I ran into this thread! My mother stopped by this morning with a rib roast totally by surprise. Now I know what to do with it!
    Nice! I have one Erie pan (that's my hometown), I used to have a lot more, but I've moved too much. Growing up, everyone there had a set of Griswold's.

I have the 3rd from left:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eriebanner.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	3520
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

In addition to all the cast iron I've purchased, I've also been given some (inherited and garage sale). On a couple nasty ones I used a 3m roloc on the die grinder - worked pretty well but I found out surfaces can be too smooth. A little tooth seems to hold the seasoning better otherwise it wipes off. For the griddles I used a 3000 psi pressure washer - worked AWESOME (as long as you had the angle right. If I didnt have the angle right, it still worked awesome, but I got soaked)

But yea... 3m roloc or a pressure washer (with rain coat)

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

The trick is not to get it TOO fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    ...I found out surfaces can be too smooth.
    If you get things too smooth, you can etch the iron. The fastest way would be with some hydrochloric (muriatic) acid from a pool joint or hardware store. Simply pour about 1/8" deep and let it bubble. The acid will start turning yellow as the HCl reacts with the iron to form ferric chloride. Do this OUTSIDE and far from anything you do not want rusting instantly. The acid will fume and those vapors will degrade anything of iron or glass.

Keep a plastic container handy and after a couple of minutes pour the liquid off. The iron will probably be grey or black underneath. You can rinse and check the surface. If small pits have started to form, you're in good shape. You can replace the acid if the etching is not deep enough for you. When done, neutralize with baking soda. Beware that it will foam up with some vigor, so be careful.

Neutralize pan with soda, wash thoroughly, and season immediately to prevent iron from quickly forming a fine, orange surface rust.

As for seasoning, an alternative that I have used to regular food oils is that of linseed. It must be a food-grade oil, of course. Do not go out to the garage and use your boiled or raw oil intended for cabinet and furniture makers. That often contains some lead (may not anymore, but used to). Regardless, it is not food-grade and you most definitely do NOT want to be using it.

Using a cotton or linen rag, introduce a very fine coating of the oil to the surface of the pan. Neither do you need, nor do you want a large amount because unlike most vegetable oils, linseed will impart a very definite taste to the food that some do not like. This is only the base coat of the seasoning and naught but the thinnest layer is necessary.

Heat the pan SLOWLY until just begins to smoke, at which point you remove it from the fire immediately and let it cool naturally. Leave it set a couple of days so that the linseed oil will polymerize. Polymerized linseed oil is like a natural plastic of sorts. It is fairly tough, too, but can be broken if mishandled. Reheat the pan and schlob on some vegetable oil. I like olive oil, but it is really of no matter which you use, whether corn, rape, peanut, etc. Let the pan smoke for a minute or so, adding oil to any place gone "dry". When you are satisfied with the seasoning, remove from heat, allow to cool, and let stand another day or two. Your pan should then be ready for service.

The linseed oil, having polymerized, will stick verily to the iron. Man blacksmiths including myself use a mixture of linseed oil, beeswax, and turps to finish iron. It sticks to the iron far better than the veggie oil. The veggie oil sticks better to the linseed oil than to the iron, and so you end up with a more durable season.

The very thin layer of linseed should not impart any unpleasant flavors to the food. I happen to like linseed oil and drink it as a nutrative, but many people simply do not like it.

That is my alternate method for seasoning cast iron frying pans.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    It must be a food-grade oil, of course. Do not go out to the garage and use your boiled or raw oil intended for cabinet and furniture makers. That often contains some lead (may not anymore, but used to). Regardless, it is not food-grade and you most definitely do NOT want to be using it.
    I just found out recently that all "Denatured Alcohol" is, is ethanol with poison intentionally added, so the producers and sellers don't have to comply with the mountain of paperwork involved with making liquor. So it would not surprise me in the least if some other state-induced jackassery required that linseed oil from the hardware store be poisonous.

(My 8yo daughter has been cheerfully helping me shellac pattern boards for the basement, and it's nice to know the federal government has actually made this a more hazardous pursuit for her.)

The linseed oil, having polymerized, will stick verily to the iron. Man blacksmiths including myself use a mixture of linseed oil, beeswax, and turps to finish iron.
    I really got into seasoning cast iron after I'd rustproofed some pieces of armor with polymerized motor oil. I imagine the linseed stinks somewhat less!
    But it's the same concept all around.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

I really got into seasoning cast iron after I'd rustproofed some pieces of armor with polymerized motor oil. I imagine the linseed stinks somewhat less!
    But it's the same concept all around.
    Um... was it FISH armor?
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Um... was it FISH armor?
    I was thinking it once belonged to Abe Vigoda.

Gulag Chief:

I've got a really weird idea that was inspired by this cooking method. Get an extra thick steak and cut it to fill a pint jar in 4 big chunks. Sear all 6 exposed edges at max temperature leaving the center basically raw. Stuff into quart jar, fill with unsalted beef stock, pressure can it, set it in the pantry at room temperature, and 5 years later eat a freaking steak out of a jar.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I've got a really weird idea that was inspired by this cooking method. Get an extra thick steak and cut it to fill a pint jar in 4 big chunks. Sear all 6 exposed edges at max temperature leaving the center basically raw. Stuff into quart jar, fill with unsalted beef stock, pressure can it, set it in the pantry at room temperature, and 5 years later eat a freaking steak out of a jar.
    Gunny, you know I love ya, but no.
    Have you been drinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Have you been drinking?
    LMAO no, I just know what it's like to be 3 weeks in the mud and actually have something wonderful to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Have you been drinking?
    lol.

With you on that. If it's a cheap cut, make vegetable soup out of it and can that. My grandma always had her pressure cooker ready to go, and she'd can her leftovers like--soups and stews--but straight meat gets frozen. I watched "Chopped" and they had to cook with an entire chicken in a can, and it looked repulsive. I think the steak would be worse.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Honestly it would eat like a super-high quality canned roast. With more of a steak flavor. I will have to try it as an experiment. Though chopping the steak up like beef tips would be easier, do it this way and it will taste more like steak. Even if you open the jar a year later.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    lol.

With you on that. If it's a cheap cut, make vegetable soup out of it and can that. My grandma always had her pressure cooker ready to go, and she'd can her leftovers like--soups and stews--but straight meat gets frozen. I watched "Chopped" and they had to cook with an entire chicken in a can, and it looked repulsive. I think the steak would be worse.
    I'm thinking canned is bound to work better than frozen in the dollarpocalypse. Not to mention any ordinary loss of power. I am betting you can tweak the recipes to make almost anything home canned work really well. My focus though is making ration kits. 48 meals in a box.

The one I actually want to try next is corned beef. Cook and can the corned beef at the same time.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I'm thinking canned is bound to work better than frozen in the dollarpocalypse. Not to mention any ordinary loss of power. I am betting you can tweak the recipes to make almost anything home canned work really well. My focus though is making ration kits. 48 meals in a box.

The one I actually want to try next is corned beef. Cook and can the corned beef at the same time.
    Okay, I can dig the canned corned beef but how do you expect to catch a girl if you're serving her a steak outta a Mason jar? Then again, if the the Dollarpocalypse is your end game, your Mason jar steak may be the thing that brings all the girls to your yard.

Cooked up 2 bone-in rib steaks tonight. Rubbed them some garlic infused olive oil, ample amount salt and pepper, with some onion powder. Cooked down all the delicious fat on the sides, then seared both sides really good in the trusty cast iron, then turned down the heat to low and slowly finished them in the pan --oven is on the fritz -- while the corn cooked.

The mom of the house is sick and eating chicken soup alone in isolation so I told the kid he got his own steak tonight. Also since there were no girls at the table, we'd be eating like real men, cavemen: no tools, no vegetables, just our hands and off the bone. Put "the croods" on the laptop and we ate with our hands. good times, darn if the 4yr old didn't polish off the whole damn steak, even gnawing on the bone before he tossed it to the cave dog. good times.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Cooked up 2 bone-in rib steaks tonight. Rubbed them some garlic infused olive oil, ample amount salt and pepper, with some onion powder. Cooked down all the delicious fat on the sides, then seared both sides really good in the trusty cast iron, then turned down the heat to low and slowly finished them in the pan --oven is on the fritz -- while the corn cooked.

The mom of the house is sick and eating chicken soup alone in isolation so I told the kid he got his own steak tonight. Also since there were no girls at the table, we'd be eating like real men, cavemen: no tools, no vegetables, just our hands and off the bone. Put "the croods" on the laptop and we ate with our hands. good times, darn if the 4yr old didn't polish off the whole damn steak, even gnawing on the bone before he tossed it to the cave dog. good times.
    My daughter used to eat like that--now she just picks at things and bugs me until I give her my food. Everything I go to make, she says "I don't like that!" But then she sees me tasting something or making a plate, "you aren't gonna give me any?" Then she only takes about 5 bites before she's full.

Oh yeah, reason for the post--spaghetti squash. Do you just use regular tomato sauce on it? Does the kid like it? A farmer down the road gave me one for free the other day.

So just got done eating a bunch of rib roast cut into steaks and pan fried.

Holy Moses does this make smoke. I thought I had it covered, since the microwave vent right above the range vents directly outside.
    Nope, not at all!

I read a couple different ways to do it, and decided not to rub the steaks with salt, but to salt the pan. I don't recommend that - I ended up adding salt afterward. But the meat was cooked perfectly!

Just said goodbye to my mom & dad, who bought me the roast (got it from the commissary on some ridiculous sale where it was under $3/lb) so I insisted they eat it with me. My 75 year old mother said pan frying is all her grandmother ever did with steak. My father said the same about his mother.

Here are my Lodge pieces. I was skilleting the steaks on the big fryer, and then transferring them to the oven on the griddle.

Had a great malbec to go with them from TJ's. And sauteed mushrooms, and I made up a sauce of red wine, drippings, garlic, and butter.

I had to drink a shot of Redbreast 12 after dinner. Seemed like the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Oh yeah, reason for the post--spaghetti squash. Do you just use regular tomato sauce on it? Does the kid like it? A farmer down the road gave me one for free the other day.
    I tried that once and was told in no uncertain terms to not try making it again. I'm not really a squash fan either; about the only one I like is butternut squash, chopped in blocks and fried in bacon grease and red pepper. Although, I did have a butternut squash emulsion/liquid/soupy thing on pasta on my vacation which was out of this world good.

Spaghetti squash is pretty damn awesome. We put fresh garlic, oregano, olive oil, tomato, and feta on ours. If you like a little more acidity, squeeze some lemon on there too.

It takes about 45 min to 1 hour at 400*. Seems that even with the feta it takes a generous amount of salt to taste right.

Our youngest will eat it, but he's an animal. Our youngest is 3 and weighs as much as our 6 year old LOL. Our oldest finds it suspect - it looks like spaghetti but its not spaghetti.

I cant eat as much red meat as I used to, but plans are for a nice porterhouse on NewYears. If I remember I'll get a snapshot and post it for documentation purposes

Gulag Chief:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456