Thread: The Official Hurricane Katia Thread

Exclamation The Official Hurricane Katia Thread

Looks like there is another one on it's way to the east coast:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weath...0,878448.story

SOURCE:
    http://www.wunderground.com/tropical...1112_5day.html

Last edited by Napoleon's Shadow; 08-31-2011 at 07:29 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This model shows a more northerly trajectory as it approaches the coast

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/disp...a=natla_height
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

It looks like it will recurve, as most hurricanes/tropical storms in the Atlantic do. Look out, Bermuda.

The thing barely came off of Africa and you think it's going to threaten the East Coast? Hell of a crystal ball In two weeks, we'll know... more or less.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    It looks like it will recurve, as most hurricanes/tropical storms in the Atlantic do. Look out, Bermuda.

The thing barely came off of Africa and you think it's going to threaten the East Coast? Hell of a crystal ball In two weeks, we'll know... more or less.
    It is never too early for the chicken littles to go into mindless panic..

I have seen this played out many times.
    Have been through a dozen hurricanes (In a mobile home at sea level ) and never ran from any.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

She's just a baby tropical storm so far. Let's hope she stays that way.
    "I'm not just trying to win or get elected. I am trying to change the course of history" - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    It is never too early for the chicken littles to go into mindless panic..

I have seen this played out many times.
    Have been through a dozen hurricanes (In a mobile home at sea level ) and never ran from any.
    Yeah... the thing with disasters (and I've been through some that really were disasters) is that even the worst ones are hit and miss. Your neighborhood --- your entire city --- might be fine. Then there's five houses on the outskirts that were demolished. Guess which photo is going to make the news? People get the idea that a hurricane will flatten everything. Even Andrew had certain paths it flattened, and many other areas that lost part of a roof at most. A lot of the damage was done by twisters and not the hurricane's sustained winds.

There is usually no reason to evacuate, unless you are really somewhere godawful, which would be your own fault for living there
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    There is usually no reason to evacuate, unless you are really somewhere godawful, which would be your own fault for living there
    An interesting history of the Florida Keys. It was posted in a local paper several years back and I doubt it is anywhere online.

NO One has Died in a house from any Hurricane in the Florida Keys. (there have been many)
    People have died of other natural causes unrelated to the storm. People have died out in it or on boats, in tents or otherwise unprotected.
    NO one has been killed in a house. In recorded History. (a few hundred years).

You would not be able to tell that from the Media or politicians.

Hurricane Andrew through Homestead had some other issues. Aside from the Tornadoes spawned by Andrew,, the rapid development of swampland had some incredibly shoddy construction. Well built homes survived in the same path where developments were turned to toothpicks.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 08-30-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I predict some OH surf and clean offshore conditions for Nirvikalpa.

SToked.
    Last edited by dannno; 08-30-2011 at 01:00 PM.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If the track and timing work out ut could be in NYC on 9/11

is this pronounced kah-tee-ah or kaht-cha?

Bump for updates.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

Looks like it might miss?

Im anticipating more reports like this Hurricane Irene report.

Looks like it's going away

http://www.stormpulse.com/

From a Floridian that went through '04 this is the best site for tracking hurricanes.

Looks like the surf from this system will be pretty significant and will peak on Thursday and Friday. Thursday however will be too stormy to surf with 20 MPH winds out of the ENE.

Friday should see some winds out of the North, and out of the NNW later in the afternoon, so south facing spots like Long Island should see some very clean conditions and big surf on Friday all day.

The tide will be a little on the high side right at dawn, and with a lower tide throughout the morning into the early afternoon, but watchout for an even bigger high tide later in the afternoon into the evening.
    Last edited by dannno; 09-05-2011 at 03:35 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate-ForLiberty View Post
    is this pronounced kah-tee-ah or kaht-cha?
    I pronounce it like Kah-tee-ah just because the only person I know named Katia is German and she pronounces it that way. I haven't heard it pronounced the other way, either.
    Last edited by Rothbardian Girl; 09-05-2011 at 03:43 PM.
    Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever. Thomas Jefferson

haarp
    Last edited by Ronpauljones; 09-05-2011 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothbardian Girl View Post
    I pronounce it like Kah-tee-ah just because the only person I know named Katia is German and she pronounces it that way. I haven't heard it pronounced the other way, either.
    I know a brazilian chick who pronounces it kaht-cha. And it throws me every time.