Thread: Liberty Dollars May Now Be Subject To Seizure By Secret Service

Liberty Dollars May Now Be Subject To Seizure By Secret Service

http://www.coinworld.com/articles/li...ct-to-seizure/

Liberty Dollars held by collectors may be subject to seizure as contraband by federal law enforcement, officials with the U.S. Attorney’s Office and Secret Service said Aug. 24.

Statements by officials for those two federal law enforcement agencies seem to reverse the position taken in comments released from the United States Attorney’s Office in Charlotte, N.C., and published in Coin World in April, that mere possession of Liberty Dollars did not constitute a violation of any federal statute.
    That position has apparently changed, although officials of the U.S. Secret Service — which would be the federal agency likely charged with executing any possible seizures — would not provide any definitive comments concerning under what circumstances Liberty Dollars would be seized.

The revised stance is tied to the Liberty Dollar being determined in a federal court to violate federal counterfeiting statutes. Liberty Dollars, metallic medallic pieces, were privately promoted as a form of currency that could be used in commerce as an alternative to Federal Reserve notes.

U.S. Attorney’s Office

Jill Rose, chief of the criminal division for the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Charlotte, N.C., told Coin World Aug. 24 that the Liberty Dollar medallions are confiscable as contraband regardless if they are being exhibited for educational purposes only.

Rose served as lead prosecutor in the Bernard von NotHaus case. Von NotHaus, creator of the Liberty Dollars, was convicted in federal court in March on multiple charges involving the alternative currency.
    Rose said because von NotHaus’ conviction included violations of Sections 485 and 486 of Title 18 of the United States Code, the Liberty Dollar medallions were determined to be counterfeits, contraband and subject to seizure.

The Liberty Dollar represented “a pyramid scheme imbedded with fraud” that had nothing to do with barter or trade, according to Rose.

“Barter is an equal and knowing exchange,” which the Liberty Dollar was proven in court not to be, Rose said.

read more at link

Expect prices to shoot up....I just bought another off ebay. I wonder if they'll eventually pressure ebay into never listing them again.
    The Heart of Conservatism is Libertarianism - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I do have one as a collectors item pre-ban era. LOL

I'd suggest melting them if you want to guarantee they won't be confiscated should the SecServ come knocking... That way you can at least keep the silver.
    Last edited by foofighter20x; 08-30-2011 at 01:43 AM.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free." -Göthe
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
    "Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure." - Robert LeFevre

I am a historical collector

I was thinking of starting my own mint, but I would only sell precious metal pieces as collector items, they wouldn't resemble anything near any U.S. or existing currency.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free." -Göthe
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
    "Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure." - Robert LeFevre

How rare do you guys think these will get now? Will collectors start melting them down due to fear of confiscation?

Quote Originally Posted by Kregisen View Post
    How rare do you guys think these will get now? Will collectors start melting them down due to fear of confiscation?
    isn't it completely asinine that we even have to ask questions like this? we have to melt our real money for fear that it'll be forcibly taken from us...

I don't see what the big deal is. Hide and say you don't have it. It's not like they're going to search all through your house to find one damn coin....

If they do, then we should protest that as a waste of taxpayer money lol

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Yup... they're coming.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

What are they going for on e bay ?

Quote Originally Posted by TexAg09 View Post
    I don't see what the big deal is. Hide and say you don't have it. It's not like they're going to search all through your house to find one damn coin....

I'm assuming if they'll be banned items then it will also be illegal to sell them on ebay, which means it will be much harder to get a hold of them.

Are the courts pretending not to know what counterfeiting actually is, or do the judges have an agenda?

I'd like to sit down with these morons making these decisions and ask them how making a competing currency that is clearly not U.S. dollars is counterfeiting a U.S. dollar.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    What are they going for on e bay ?
    There are many different ones with varying prices...but I'm definitely seeing an uptick in purchasing today.

A question out of ignorance. Does this included the Ron Paul liberty silver dollars (Gold Standard in Leadership on one side and Vote For Truth on the other side)? I got one for Christmas last year. Just wondering...
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    Thomas Paine

I believe anything minted by NORFED or Liberty Dollars are targetted.

Quote Originally Posted by TexAg09 View Post

I spent all of my gold/silver on hookers and blow. I'm very fortunate to have such a forgiving wife.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulatized View Post
    A question out of ignorance. Does this included the Ron Paul liberty silver dollars (Gold Standard in Leadership on one side and Vote For Truth on the other side)? I got one for Christmas last year. Just wondering...
    Yup all liberty dollars...question is would they really try to seize them? who knows.

Posted by Paulatized
    A question out of ignorance. Does this included the Ron Paul liberty silver dollars (Gold Standard in Leadership on one side and Vote For Truth on the other side)? I got one for Christmas last year. Just wondering...[
    Quote Originally Posted by Kregisen View Post
    Yup all liberty dollars...question is would they really try to seize them? who knows.
    Too bad then that it was dropped over the side of a boat and sunk to the bottom of a lake.
    Last edited by Paulatized; 09-01-2011 at 05:34 AM.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Paulatized View Post
    Too bad then that it was dropped over the side of a boat and sunk to the bottom of a lake.
    Yup, it's shame all five of mine were lost overboard as well.

If they were not, I could sell, what cost me $20 a piece plus shipping, for $500 a piece. (what a quick search of eBay rendered)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NORFED-2008-...item2563ffb13f

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Yup, it's shame all five of mine were lost overboard as well.

If they were not, I could sell, what cost me $20 a piece plus shipping, for $500 a piece. (what a quick search of eBay rendered)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NORFED-2008-...item2563ffb13f

Going rate on those is $140...I mean, I could list one of mine on ebay for $2,000, that doesn't mean it's worth $2,000...(140 is still a lot though!)

Weirdest thing happened, everyone who used to hold liberty dollars sold them on Craigslist to some stranger named Ben Bernanke over a year ago.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

"The revised stance is tied to the Liberty Dollar being determined in a federal court to violate federal counterfeiting statutes. "

Counter fitters calling legitimate money makers counter fitters.

DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO - Twilight zone $#@!. Unreal. Hey Mr. Federal $#@!wad, $#@! you and your $#@!ing dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    "The revised stance is tied to the Liberty Dollar being determined in a federal court to violate federal counterfeiting statutes. "

Counter fitters calling legitimate money makers counter fitters.

DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO - Twilight zone $#@!. Unreal. Hey Mr. Federal $#@!wad, $#@! you and your $#@!ing dog.
    Love it .