Thread: OK-Home alarm dispatches cops. Cops show up and shoot family dog dead.

Exclamation OK-Home alarm dispatches cops. Cops show up and shoot family dog dead.

Bad enough when people call the cops, don't put a Big Brother system in your own home that calls them.

FFS...Well, at least the cop said he was sorry.

Police shoot man's best friend

http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-...,2587048.story

Adam Mertz Reporting
    KFOR-TV
    10:22 a.m. CDT, August 26, 2011

DEL CITY, Okla. -- A dog owner is upset with police after an officer shot and killed his Great Dane. Enrico Baker says he arrived home to find his dog dead in the driveway Monday night.

"He said, 'I apologize, I had to shoot your dog,'" said Baker.

Police showed up at the home after the alarm went off.

Investigators say an officer along with a K9 arrived at the house.

Apparently, Baker left the front door slightly open, which triggered the alarm.

Police say when the officer peaked (sic) inside, the dog lunged at him and the police dog.

According to the police report, Baker's dog was growling and started to attack the K9.

Baker says his dog just reacted like any normal dog would when confronted by another dog.

He tells us his dog was a gentle giant and very friendly.

"He was a non-aggressive dog. Intimidating? Yes, 165 pounds," Baker said.

He understands the officer was just trying to protect himself, but believes shooting his dog was unnecessary.

"They (police) are put in situations where they have to make snap decisions a lot. In this case, like I said, there are a couple of things that could have possibly been done differently," Baker said.

He is now planning to file a complaint with the city.

Del City Police stand by the actions of the officer.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 08-29-2011 at 08:47 PM.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is this seriously a new report? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

What's with all the canine murder. One or two every now and then is understandable but it's like every day now.
    Great principles don't get lost once they come to light. They're right here; you just have to see them again!

"When he peeked inside" - well, just close the damn door so the dog couldn't get out and "attack" you.
    Last edited by Pericles; 08-29-2011 at 09:12 PM.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

I can understand that the K9 handler thought that the Great Dane was about to kill his dog, but still... why didn't the officer use his less lethal weapons? Seriously. Why even have less lethal weapons for situations—which actually warrant the use of them—when you don't employ such weapons in the correct context?
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica View Post
    Is this seriously a new report? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    What's with all the canine murder. One or two every now and then is understandable but it's like every day now.
    It goes like that.

Quiet for a week or so, then one or more day for a couple of weeks.

Keep in mind I'm not including the numerous "questionable" or justified shootings.

Just working their way up to shooting us with the same impunity.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 08-29-2011 at 09:22 PM.

sounds like they are trying to purge dogs from the world.
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Maybe the police have just been going on more residential calls lately...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Does anyone "take" the print version of CounterPunch?

I'd love to have a peek at this article in this month's issue:

PLUS “The cop just shot my dog!” Patrick Higgins on why you’re right to worry that the police might blow your best friend away
    http://www.counterpunch.org/2011/08/...r-cia-yes-man/