Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RealClearPaulitics.com - New website!! I can use your help.

RealClearPaulitics.com - New website!! I can use your help.

RealClearPaulitics.com

I made this website after being inspired by this post and my own observations of people who are either malicious or just don't "get" Ron Paul's positions. I aimed to create a simple way to look at the oft-repeated mistruths and answer them with a short, clearly-explained statement, followed by Ron Paul's own words and links to further reading/watching.

I want to add the following to what is already live:

Ron Paul would let America be attacked without retaliation (refute: declaration of war, letters of marque for bin laden)

Ron Paul is not a republican and is destroying the party (refute: RP true conservative, repubs lost their way)

Economists disagree with ron paul (refute: only the ones who have been wrong, look at schiff, jim rogers, etc who made the right calls)

Ron Paul wants to end education in this country by ending department of education (refute: dept of ed is the problem)

Ending the income tax would shut down the government (refute: govt gets lots of money from other places and with smaller budget it could be eliminated)

Ron Paul is unelectable (refute: been elected 11 times, support growing, 100,000 donors, etc)

Advice, ideas, fixes, are welcome. You could even work on the ones that I have planned (or come up with your own).

Format is as follows:

-Concise mistruth
    -Slightly elaborated, clear answer
    -Dr. Paul's words (can be house floor, texas straight talk article, whatever)
    -Additional resources

I'll be checking this thread regularly. Thank you!
    Last edited by PRIEST; 10-07-2011 at 09:28 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    do one about how abortion is irrelevant and people should stop putting all their stock in it

Love the design on this site. All you need is a snappy logo and you're set.

Myth: Ron Paul wants people to fend for themselves in natural disasters with no assistance.

Fact: He believes the federal government is not as effective and efficient in providing aid to people as the states, churches, and other local organizations. Etc...

I like this idea a lot. I like the minimalist design, too. Off the top of my head, the first suggestion I have is to use a different picture for each "clarified" section as it is revealed. Also, you should provide some links to the campaign website and campaignforliberty.com.

I like the idea of using direct quotes rather than elaborating on interpreted versions of his statements. I suggest soliciting ideas for introductory sentences from members of this community, as many of us are quite well written and well versed in the positions.

Finally, I suggest keeping the list short to focus on the *biggest* issues of misunderstanding. Don't clutter it with dozens of issues or people will be put off and disinclined to read any of it. Focus on issues republicans care about. Most important right now are positions that put off social conservatives and militarists.

Clarify his positions on Israel, on Iran, on immigration, and on drug legalization.

I like the way that works... clicking the issue for the dropdown. Nicely done! There was a post a week or so ago trying to put together a similar site: RonPaulMyths.com

Here's the thread.

There seems to be some overlap.

- Darin

Myth: Ron Paul wants to make abortion illegal in all 50 states.

Myth: Ron Paul wants intelligent design taught in all schools.
    O.B.A.M.A. = One Big Ass Mistake, America

I would definitely link to Paul's "My Plan for a Freedom President".

While the president can do a great deal on his own, to really restore the Constitution and cut back on the vast unconstitutional programs that have sunk roots in Washington over 60 years, he will have to work with Congress. The first step in enacting a pro-freedom legislative agenda is the submission of a budget that outlines the priorities of the administration. While it has no legal effect, the budget serves as a guideline for the congressional appropriations process. A constitutionalist president’s budget should do the following:

1. Reduce overall federal spending

2. Prioritize cuts in oversize expenditures, especially the military

3. Prioritize cuts in corporate welfare

4. Use 50 percent of the savings from cuts in overseas spending to shore up entitlement programs for those who are dependent on them and the other 50 percent to pay down the debt

5. Provide for reduction in federal bureaucracy and lay out a plan to return responsibility for education to the states

6. Begin transitioning entitlement programs from a system where all Americans are forced to participate into one where taxpayers can opt out of the programs and make their own provisions for retirement and medical care

If Congress failed to produce a budget that was balanced and moved the country in a pro-liberty direction, a constitutionalist president should veto the bill. Of course, vetoing the budget risks a government shutdown. But a serious constitutionalist cannot be deterred by cries of “it’s irresponsible to shut down the government!” Instead, he should simply say, “I offered a reasonable compromise, which was to gradually reduce spending, and Congress rejected it, instead choosing the extreme path of continuing to jeopardize America’s freedom and prosperity by refusing to tame the welfare-warfare state. I am the moderate; those who believe that America can afford this bloated government are the extremists.”
    This addresses both the "he's going to kill social plans" and "even if he is president, he can't do the things he wants to do" arguments.
    You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.

If I may suggest: Please don't even show the misleading statements about Ron:

In other words, don't even show this:
    CLICK A MISLEADING STATEMENT FOR CLARIFICATION
    Ron Paul would abolish the Federal Reserve and cause a catastrophic market collapse.
    Ron Paul is anti-government and votes "no" on everything.
    Ron Paul would dismantle the social safety net, leaving seniors to die in the street.

(Think about how the misleading statements will show up on Google searches, and how you are creating doubt for new people that know nothing about Ron. If these are misleading statements, don't repeat them!)

Show only the results of clicking on those three links as the main page.
    Only show this instead:
    Ron Paul would not simply shut down the Fed. He'd legalize competing currencies and let the market decide which is best. People could then save in sound money and protect themselves from currency inflation.
    Excerpt from the January 25th, 2010 edition of Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk:
    "We have been on a disastrous course for a long time. The money supply has doubled in the last year, our debt is unsustainable, the value of the dollar is going to continue its drop, and those Americans who understand where we are headed feel helpless and held hostage by foolish policy makers in Washington. When the bills finally come due and the dollar stops working we are in for some real social, economic and political chaos. That is, unless we take some major steps now to allow for a peaceful transition in the future. These steps are laid out in my legislation to legalize competing currencies."
    "First of all, no one should be compelled by law to operate in Federal Reserve notes if they prefer an alternative. We should repeal legal tender laws and allow Americans to conduct transactions in constitutional money. Only gold and silver can constitutionally be legal tender, not paper money. Instead, it is illegal to conduct business using gold and silver instead of Federal Reserve notes. Simply legalizing the Constitution should be a no-brainer to anyone who took an oath of office. Consequently, private mints should be allowed to mint gold and silver coins. They would be subject to fraud and counterfeit laws, of course, and people would be free to use their coins or stay with Federal Reserve notes, as they see fit. Finally, we should abolish taxes on gold and silver, which puts precious metals at a competitive disadvantage to paper money."
    Last edited by RonRules; 08-27-2011 at 05:51 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenophage View Post
    I like this idea a lot. I like the minimalist design, too. Off the top of my head, the first suggestion I have is to use a different picture for each "clarified" section as it is revealed. Also, you should provide some links to the campaign website and campaignforliberty.com.

I like the idea of using direct quotes rather than elaborating on interpreted versions of his statements. I suggest soliciting ideas for introductory sentences from members of this community, as many of us are quite well written and well versed in the positions.

Finally, I suggest keeping the list short to focus on the *biggest* issues of misunderstanding. Don't clutter it with dozens of issues or people will be put off and disinclined to read any of it. Focus on issues republicans care about. Most important right now are positions that put off social conservatives and militarists.

Clarify his positions on Israel, on Iran, on immigration, and on drug legalization.
    Great suggestions. Site really nice. The back button does not work on my browser, though, so I can't just go back to view another page.

Myth: Ron Paul blames America for terrorist attacks

Hit them with facts from the 9/11 commission report, Micheal Scheuer and Osama's own words

I like the idea here and the one on ronpaulmyths.com and ronpaulcan.com but why not buy a better domain name such as PaulTruth.com

Quote Originally Posted by Xenophage View Post

Great ideas. It crossed my mind to use different images but now I know that it's a good idea. I'll do it.

Keeping the list short is important. I want to do 10, maybe 12. Otherwise this design will be too hard to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin View Post
    I like the way that works... clicking the issue for the dropdown. Nicely done! There was a post a week or so ago trying to put together a similar site: RonPaulMyths.com

Here's the thread.

There seems to be some overlap.

- Darin
    Good call. I saw that thread but I think this is a slightly different angle. I plan to look into the overlap and see if there's a way to work together.

Quote Originally Posted by ronpaulitician View Post
    I would definitely link to Paul's "My Plan for a Freedom President".

This addresses both the "he's going to kill social plans" and "even if he is president, he can't do the things he wants to do" arguments.
    Awesome! Thanks for the link. I'll make sure to feature that one.

Quote Originally Posted by RonRules View Post
    If I may suggest: Please don't even show the misleading statements about Ron…(Think about how the misleading statements will show up on Google searches, and how you are creating doubt for new people that know nothing about Ron. If these are misleading statements, don't repeat them!)
    It's possible for me to put the misconceptions in images so Google won't pick them up. This is a lot more work but I will do what is necessary to make this a useful resource.

Quote Originally Posted by InTradePro View Post
    I like the idea here and the one on ronpaulmyths.com and ronpaulcan.com but why not buy a better domain name such as PaulTruth.com
    I'm not crazy about the name either. It's the first thing I felt okay going forward with. I'm willing to buy a different domain if something better comes up.

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES! Great community!

I REALLY love the site design. It's great! I agree with RonRules about having the misleading statements. Maybe just clarifying his position on things in a nice format would be the best way to go. Also on the name. Paultruth.com is a good idea, but it's not a make-or-break if it stays wrongonpaul.

Places like "On the Issues" and even the campaign website are a bit hard to trek through and find what he actually thinks. "On the Issues" cites -to the average person- confusing house bills and the campaign website tries to be sort of neutral on things (I can't explain what I'm thinking very well, haha).

People I talk to about RP often say that they like what he believes, but they don't really understand what he's trying to say half the time. I understood most of what Ron meant and what he believes, but I will admit that I had to do a bit of outside research to be sure on his stance on things like abortion and gay marriage. I think it would be great to have a website that carefully laid out the way the RP thinks, votes, etc on issues like that.

Anyways, I love what you're doing and if you need any help/input outside of this thread feel free to shoot me a message. I actually used to have a Harry Potter vBulletin message board, as embarrassing as that was. I also "dabbled" (I feel extremely lame using that word) in basic flash, java, html. But, I'm also just another opinion... it's always good for feedback.

Best of luck to you. I'll be visiting the website and checking to see when it's done. And when it is, I will tell people about it definitely!

But to me, you want these to show up when people search on Google. If they're images and hidden from google, someone may search for those things, and they will link instead to a Paul smear story.

The google search would show the results with the site title. So as long as the title makes it clear that it is not true, I think it wouldn't be an issue.

- Darin

Edit: Also, it might be easier for some people to come across here if you put the URL in your sig.
    Last edited by Darin; 08-27-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Most cool site design and excellent approach to clearing up misconceptions!!! Yes, a catchy logo would be good. Maybe make it easier to tell what you've already read by having it change color after reading?

Hey, I just noticed... some of the words are cut off.

Here the word collapse is cut off.
    Here the word street is cut off.

Also, I'm not sure if you can change the title when they are clicked. But you see the check mark and the blue, while the statement is still false. So maybe when you click "Ron Paul is anti-government" when it turns blue and has a check, it reads "The role of government is to protect Life, and Liberty" or whatever.

- Darin

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Myth: Ron Paul was against capturing Bin Laden

There's tons of other ones, I'll post back when I think of more.

I really do think you should change the name though. Something more positive, like Ron Paul and truth or something.
    But its your call.

Also, check out this website:
    http://paulitifact.com/
    maybe work with him if you want?
    Last edited by matt0611; 08-27-2011 at 08:02 PM.

keep going! your site inter-twines with part 2 of my video 'We the People'. Let's keep going with this. The misconceptions and fears of the people are what's driving some people not to vote for him. This is a big portion of the non-Ron Paul supporters, if we can turn these people around it will be a big win for us. I don't want Ron Paul to just slip by with a win, I want to see a LANDSLIDE! That re-assures me that Americans have woken up and will continue to fight this corruption in our society even after Ron Paul.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...id-of-Ron-Paul

Also, I'm not sure if you can change the title when they are clicked. But you see the check mark and the blue, while the statement is still false. So maybe when you click "Ron Paul is anti-government" when it turns blue and has a check, it reads "The role of government is to protect Life, and Liberty" or whatever.

- Darin
    Off topic, but what OS are you using?

love it. love the simplicity. love the design, love the drop down answers, love using his own words, great idea. keep it simple and dont ruin it.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyArchie View Post
    Off topic, but what OS are you using?
    I'm using Linux (Ubuntu). But the toolbar at the bottom is from my browser, which isn't off topic! I forgot to mention it!

I'm using Opera. When I use Firefox and Chrome/Chromium, the full text appears.

- Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Zak View Post
    Myth: Ron Paul wants to make abortion illegal in all 50 states.

Myth: Ron Paul wants intelligent design taught in all schools.
    these should not be on the list until the general, as this is trying to appeal to republican primary voters, and those are things they like.

- Darin
    Darin, I made some CSS changes so the text, when clicked, should disappear for you. I was using a text-indent: -9999px but instead went with an h2.active span with the css set to "display:none;" ... hopefully that fixes it for you. I also made the statements more succinct so they wouldn't have a chance of going out of the 800 pixel width I set for the bars.

On a side note.. how do your X's and Checks look like that? I didn't put them in the site that way...
    Last edited by PRIEST; 08-27-2011 at 09:28 PM.

I would like to suggest changing the red boxes to read "FALSE: Ron Paul would abolish the Federal Reserve"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What do you all think of ronpaulclarified.com? Seems like that's mainly what I'm doing here.

Other domain ideas:

truthinpaulitics.com

ronpaulmistruths.com

realclearpaulitics.com
    Last edited by PRIEST; 08-27-2011 at 09:28 PM.

I love it.
    http://www.iycki.org

Pro-life conservative Constitutionalist libertarian.

I stand with Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    do one about how abortion is irrelevant and people should stop putting all their stock in it
    Wrong, the President will appoint judges.

Of course, RP has signed a pledge to appoint pro-life judges.

How about one regarding the alleged racist letters?

Quote Originally Posted by PRIEST View Post
    Darin, I made some CSS changes so the text, when clicked, should disappear for you. I was using a text-indent: -9999px but instead went with an h2.active span with the css set to "display:none;" ... hopefully that fixes it for you. I also made the statements more succinct so they wouldn't have a chance of going out of the 800 pixel width I set for the bars.

On a side note.. how do your X's and Checks look like that? I didn't put them in the site that way...
    Cool, works great! I actually like the text disappearing rather than alternate text anyway, looks good!

The X's and checks... I was just messing around in Opera's devtool editor, sorry. I haven't played around with websites for a long time, and was trying to see the code you used for the collapse boxes. Then I just started playing around with colors and images and stuff for fun, ha.

- Darin

Fact Ron Paul is for Civil Rights but here is why he is against the civil rights act....

Fact Ron Paul is for education for children and that is why he is against the Dept. of education interfering...

Fact Ron Paul is for equal rights for all and of course that includes lesbian gay bi, (I can't remember the acronym)...here is why a RP president would be great for all.

Regarding abortion, I don't know what you can do there. The official campaign says under abortion that Ron Paul will "effectively repeal Roe v. Wade" That statement is killing me for anyone prochoice. Plus, abortion is his number 1 issue on his issues page. Some people don't like the We the People act too, but that is so little known we may not need to worry about it. I used to be able to say that abortion wasn't his main issue and he just wanted the states to deal with the issue, but saying he will repeal Roe is hard to deal with for the pro choice people. Maybe we just can't win them over. I don't know.

Fact Ron Paul wants a strong defense at home and we can only have that if we stop having our troops in offensive positions all over the world.

Fact Ron Paul wants competing currency, not a gold standard. He wants people to be able to choose whatever store of money they trust the most and not have to be wedded to the consistently diluted U.S. dollar.

Those are the issues I saw from one person on one post a little while ago. Of course, they presented them all with the most negative views possible, and you said you wanted to make this positive, so I tried to write it that way.

I think this is a great idea. It is so tiring saying the same thing over and over. I think it would be great to have short answers to these questions, but then also have links to Ron's writings on the issues so they can read more if they want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast