Thread: Lysander Spooner on Highway Robbery and Taxation

Lysander Spooner on Highway Robbery and Taxation

Thanks to Vessol for his post containing this quote.

Thought it deserved its' own thread and has got me researching this interesting character.

"The government does not, indeed, waylay a man in a lonely place, spring upon him from the roadside, and, holding a pistol to his head, proceed to rifle his pockets. But the robbery is none the less a robbery on that account; and it is far more dastardly and shameful.

The highwayman takes solely upon himself the responsibility, danger, and crime of his own act. He does not pretend that he has any rightful claim to your money, or that he intends to use it for your own benefit. He does not pretend to be anything but a robber. He has not acquired impudence enough to profess to be merely a “protector,” and that he takes men’s money against their will, merely to enable him to “protect” those infatuated travellers, who feel perfectly able to protect themselves, or do not appreciate his peculiar system of protection. He is too sensible a man to make such professions as these. Furthermore, having taken your money, he leaves you, as you wish him to do.

He does not persist in following you on the road, against your will; assuming to be your rightful “sovereign,” on account of the “protection” he affords you. He does not keep “protecting” you, by commanding you to bow down and serve him; by requiring you to do this, and forbidding you to do that; by robbing you of more money as often as he finds it for his interest or pleasure to do so; and by branding you as a rebel, a traitor, and an enemy to your country, and shooting you down without mercy, if you dispute his authority, or resist his demands. He is too much of a gentleman to be guilty of such impostures, and insults, and villainies as these. In short, he does not, in addition to robbing you, attempt to make you either his dupe or his slave. " -Lysander Spooner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

If you haven't already check out Lysanderspooner.org and read some of his essays. I suggest No Treason and Vices are not Crimes. Both are great essays.
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by VoluntaryAmerican View Post
    If you haven't already check out Lysanderspooner.org and read some of his essays. I suggest No Treason and Vices are not Crimes. Both are great essays.
    Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Horse_Rider View Post
    Thanks to Vessol for his post containing this quote.

Thought it deserved its' own thread and has got me researching this interesting character.

"The government does not, indeed, waylay a man in a lonely place, spring upon him from the roadside, and, holding a pistol to his head, proceed to rifle his pockets. But the robbery is none the less a robbery on that account; and it is far more dastardly and shameful.

The highwayman takes solely upon himself the responsibility, danger, and crime of his own act. He does not pretend that he has any rightful claim to your money, or that he intends to use it for your own benefit. He does not pretend to be anything but a robber. He has not acquired impudence enough to profess to be merely a “protector,” and that he takes men’s money against their will, merely to enable him to “protect” those infatuated travellers, who feel perfectly able to protect themselves, or do not appreciate his peculiar system of protection. He is too sensible a man to make such professions as these. Furthermore, having taken your money, he leaves you, as you wish him to do.

He does not persist in following you on the road, against your will; assuming to be your rightful “sovereign,” on account of the “protection” he affords you. He does not keep “protecting” you, by commanding you to bow down and serve him; by requiring you to do this, and forbidding you to do that; by robbing you of more money as often as he finds it for his interest or pleasure to do so; and by branding you as a rebel, a traitor, and an enemy to your country, and shooting you down without mercy, if you dispute his authority, or resist his demands. He is too much of a gentleman to be guilty of such impostures, and insults, and villainies as these. In short, he does not, in addition to robbing you, attempt to make you either his dupe or his slave. " -Lysander Spooner
    The quote is from No Treason: The Constitution of No Authority, Lysander Spooner.... it is contained within the book, Abolish Government by Lysander Spooner...

Ron Paul recommends you read the above book; (Democracy section of Liberty Defined).

Ron Paul endorses the above quote.
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

Quote Originally Posted by TGGRV View Post
    Conza, why do you even bother? lol.
    Worthy Threads:

Quote Originally Posted by Conza88 View Post
    The quote is from No Treason: The Constitution of No Authority, Lysander Spooner.... it is contained within the book, Abolish Government by Lysander Spooner...

Ron Paul recommends you read the above book; (Democracy section of Liberty Defined).

Ron Paul endorses the above quote.
    Ron name dropped Spooner on MSNBC last campaign in a discussion about Lincoln and slavery. It was pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Conza88 View Post
    The quote is from No Treason: The Constitution of No Authority, Lysander Spooner.... it is contained within the book, Let's Abolish Government by Lysander Spooner...
    Yes, Let's.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by noneedtoaggress View Post
    ^ I think Ron would agree ;P
    Indeed !

Quote Originally Posted by RiseAgainst View Post
    Philosophy in 3

lolz
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

Quote Originally Posted by TGGRV View Post
    Conza, why do you even bother? lol.
    Worthy Threads:

Well Worth Checking Into For Those That Haven't

The Third Annual Lysander Spooner Appreciation Day is only three weeks away!!!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...roes-This-Week!
    Last edited by BuddyRey; 12-26-2012 at 03:48 PM.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

Spooner is the man I accredit for putting me on the liberty path back in the mid 70's. I bought and read his "Essay on the Trial by Jury" and it blew my mind. I've never been the same since (thankfully)...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Thank you both for the good info ^^

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bump for the genius Lysander Spooner

anyone care claim this sockpuppet?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

not sure what you mean by that HVACTech ?