Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738
Results 1,111 to 1,134 of 1134

Thread: Intellectual Property rights

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    LOL @ you guys still arguing about this. The vast majority of producers support IP; the vast majority of leeches don't. It is gonna be tough to get the 2 groups to see eye to eye.
    Very good point. Those who produce are again demonized as evil.
    "Everyone who believes in freedom must work diligently for sound money, fully redeemable. Nothing else is compatible with the humanitarian goals of peace and prosperity." -- Ron Paul

Brother Jonathan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LOL @ you guys still arguing about this. The vast majority of producers support IP; the vast majority of leeches don't. It is gonna be tough to get the 2 groups to see eye to eye.
    Not sure about that. All my work is production of stuff that could be protected with IP but it still seems like an arbitrary interference of the government in the economy. There needs to be a poll.

Of course, the answer is going to change depending if you ask musicians, programmers, etc. So a poll for each group would be interesting.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post
    Not sure about that. All my work is production of stuff that could be protected with IP but it still seems like an arbitrary interference of the government in the economy. There needs to be a poll.

Of course, the answer is going to change depending if you ask musicians, programmers, etc. So a poll for each group would be interesting.
    Are your products original creations?
    "Everyone who believes in freedom must work diligently for sound money, fully redeemable. Nothing else is compatible with the humanitarian goals of peace and prosperity." -- Ron Paul

Brother Jonathan

As I think about this, I don't like the government being the ones responsible to "protect" Intellectual Propery. I think a free market solution to IP protection is possible depending on the medium. Of course, some content creators would opt out of IP protection altogether. What does a non-government, free market solution to protecting various media look like?
    Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

$#@!, I bet at least half of the producers who are "pro-ip" are also leechers, and at least half of the leeches who are anti-ip are also producers.
    "One of the great victories of the state, is that the word "Anarchy" terrifies people but, the word "State" does not" - Tom Woods

Quote Originally Posted by ClayTrainor View Post
    $#@!, I bet at least half of the producers who are "pro-ip" are also leechers, and at least half of the leeches who are anti-ip are also producers.

Probably best to simply ignore their constant ad hominem attacks. They just make them look bad anyway.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by SwooshOU View Post
    As I think about this, I don't like the government being the ones responsible to "protect" Intellectual Propery. I think a free market solution to IP protection is possible depending on the medium. Of course, some content creators would opt out of IP protection altogether. What does a non-government, free market solution to protecting various media look like?
    Selling every product with a contract attached saying, "Do not copy my work or I'll sue you."

Brother Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Travlyr View Post
    Selling every product with a contract attached saying, "Do not copy my work or I'll sue you."
    Literally a signed contract with each purchase even for food.

Brother Jonathan

Good question! It would likely differ greatly from market to market, but for example...

The original xbox had a very big problem with people modding it and copying games for free. It was very easy to do, and there was nothing to disincentivize anybody from doing it, so it became very popular, which had a pretty negative effect on their sales figures for software.

When the xbox 360 came out, microsoft learned a bit of a lesson. They started integrating everything through their xbox live network, which is constantly being updated. You have to pay for a subscription to be able to play online, and as soon as they detect someone using a non-legit version of their game or a modded xbox, they ban their account from xbox-live and disable them from ever playing online with that account. The risk of losing your paid account is enough to curtail many people from modding their xboxs.

Hackers are always finding workarounds, but the fact is, if Microsoft finds a way to tell if you`re playing copied games or not they can simply prevent you from using their network to play them, which greatly devalues the games. It doesnt completely stop people from copying games, of course (there is no perfect solution), but it does further encourage people to buy the software.

Thats just one way though. Im sure theres many others that have and will arise in the market.
    Last edited by ClayTrainor; 08-28-2011 at 07:41 PM.
    "One of the great victories of the state, is that the word "Anarchy" terrifies people but, the word "State" does not" - Tom Woods

I want to hear a person scream bloody murder again about court cases and broken contracts of agreement. "BLOODY MURDER" ,because its sooo "violent" as the anti-ip advocates have claimed.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Literally a signed contract with each purchase even for food.
    That's one way. Surely there are others. Maybe the content itself is created in a way to be protected via the media on which it is created. I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud here.

That's one way. Surely there are others. Maybe the content itself is created in a way to be protected via the media on which it is created. I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud here.
    There may be other ways. My ears are open.

Brother Jonathan

There may be other ways. My ears are open.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClayTrainor View Post
    Good question! It would likely differ greatly from market to market, but for example...

The original xbox had a very big problem with people modding it and copying games for free. It was very easy to do, and there was nothing to disincentivize anybody from doing it, so it became very popular, which had a pretty negative effect on their sales figures for software.

When the xbox 360 came out, microsoft learned a bit of a lesson. They started integrating everything through their xbox live network, which is constantly being updated. You have to pay for a subscription to be able to play online, and as soon as they detect someone using a non-legit version of their game or a modded xbox, they ban their account from xbox-live and disable them from ever playing online with that account. The risk of losing your paid account is enough to curtail many people from modding their xboxs.

Hackers are always finding workarounds, but the fact is, if Microsoft finds a way to tell if you`re playing copied games or not they can simply prevent you from using their network to play them, which greatly devalues the games. It doesnt completely stop people from copying games, of course (there is no perfect solution), but it does further encourage people to buy the software.

Thats just one way though. Im sure theres many others that have and will arise in the market.
    This is one for video game protection.

I'm guessing there are as creative ways to protect other types of content.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tansill View Post
    Dude, if you acquiesce that...it's all I was after - a legitimate acknowledgement that voluntary contractual agreements are a way for artists and other innovators to protect their specific work.
    With another specific individual who signed the contract. Things called non-disclosure agreements etc exist now, and would in a free market...

SHOULD that person violate the agreement, by all means they are subject to punishment / consequences... however, if the content manages to get into the "public realm" - the individuals who have NOT SIGNED a contract to keep it quiet, are not liable at all. They haven't violate any agreement etc.

Torrents, p2p away we go!

That you somehow think every person who hasn't violated a contract should be subject to punishment is monstrous. You do not OWN the value of something... marxists contend that you do; hence the insane irony of the IPers calling others "marxists"... THEY'RE THE ONES SUPPORTING A VERSION OF THE LABOR THEORY OF VALUE.
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

Quote Originally Posted by TGGRV View Post
    Conza, why do you even bother? lol.
    Worthy Threads:

Quote Originally Posted by Conza88 View Post
    With another specific individual who signed the contract. Things called non-disclosure agreements etc exist now, and would in a free market...

SHOULD that person violate the agreement, by all means they are subject to punishment / consequences... however, if the content manages to get into the "public realm" - the individuals who have NOT SIGNED a contract to keep it quiet, are not liable at all. They haven't violate any agreement etc.

Torrents, p2p away we go!

That you somehow think every person who hasn't violated a contract should be subject to punishment is monstrous. You do not OWN the value of something... marxists contend that you do; hence the insane irony of the IPers calling others "marxists"... THEY'RE THE ONES SUPPORTING A VERSION OF THE LABOR THEORY OF VALUE.
    Indeed! Another irony-Marxists traditionally believe that the Means Of production belong to the workers because the workers supply the labor, and thus the products of production belong to the workers, not to the capitalist who employs them. The pro-IP argument just is a nicer-sounding way of stating it. They believe that they should continue to "own" products they've already sold and noone else can "use" it without permission. "Workers of the world, unite!"
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 08-28-2011 at 09:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica View Post
    I want to hear a person scream bloody murder again about court cases and broken contracts of agreement. "BLOODY MURDER" ,because its sooo "violent" as the anti-ip advocates have claimed.
    Claiming something is yours through a contract doesn't make it so. An idea is not limited to a single person, and by claiming you own that idea you are essentially claiming what they can and should think. This despotic approach to something as arbitrary as an idea should give everyone pause.
    Last edited by KingRobbStark; 08-28-2011 at 09:50 PM.
    "Corruptisima republica plurimae leges."

---- Tacitus

I love von Mises and Emma Watson

Technology makes IP impossible to protect with force. Whether you agree with this or not this is the reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    Americans in general are jedi masters of blaming every other person.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhandorder View Post
    Technology makes IP impossible to protect with force. Whether you agree with this or not this is the reality.
    what a fallacy that is.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica View Post
    what a fallacy that is.
    I skipped pages 10-25, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that this is still the the pro-IP argument in a nutshell.
    I actually am very interested in finding out what part of silverhandorder's post you think is fallacious.
    Is it a fallacy that force is needed to protect IP, or is it a fallacy that this is reality whether or not you agree with it?
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhandorder View Post
    Please explain.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Is it a fallacy that force is needed to protect IP, or is it a fallacy that this is reality whether or not you agree with it?
    Not sure of your point. Are you suggesting that the use of force to protect private property is not legitimate?
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    AWESOME!! That^ is a must-watch!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DamianTV again. IOU a +rep. This IOU is not redeemable in gold or anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

So I have an opportunity to meet U.S. Senator John Cornyn and U.S. Representative Lamar Smith for a "Patent Innovation Celebration" and I was wondering what you all think I should say about patent laws etc. Would love to hear what you all would say so I can go and let them hear what I have to say b/c I'm not a big fan of IP laws.

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738