Thread: Alabama - How to become a delegate

Alabama - How to become a delegate

The Alabama Republican Party released its rules on 8/19 for becoming a delegate and for allocating delegates to the candidates.

The rules can be found here (pdf)

Here's a summary:
    • Alabama will hold its primary on March 13, 2012
    • Alabama has 50 delegates (26 at large, 21 district and 3 automatic)
    • If you want to become a candidate for delegate, you must apply by January 13, 2012 by submitting Exhibit B in the pdf above and a fee of $150
    • In the form, you must specify whether you want to be a candidate for delegate from a Congressional District (3 delegates will be chosen per CD) or from the state at large (26 delegates will be chosen for the state)
    • To become a delegate, you need to win the primary election among other delegate candidates in your CD or the state at large.
    • Alternate delegates for the state at large will be elected by the Alabama Republican Executive Committee
    • Alternate delegates for the Congressional Districts will be elected by the members of the Congressional District Committee for that district

Here's information on how to apply to be a delegate:
    http://www.algop.org/delegate-FAQs
    Last edited by tsai3904; 10-26-2011 at 04:36 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

We'll also keep the delegate list updated, so that you guys can keep track easier of which slots have already been filled. There's a link to that list here. Scroll down to the link that says "List of current delegates" and click to be taken to a google speadsheet we're keeping updated. If you have any questions about being a delegate for Ron in Alabama, email me at skluck@algop.org or give me a call at 205-586-5751. In 2007-2008 we managed to fill all 47 spots, so I hope you guys can do that again.

im thinking about filling out this paperwork but i was wondering what the delegate election process is like? thank you (im in tuscaloosa, disctrict 7 i do believe it is)

Qualifying Information For Delegates in Tuscaloosa

Quote Originally Posted by bjtingle View Post
    im thinking about filling out this paperwork but i was wondering what the delegate election process is like? thank you (im in tuscaloosa, disctrict 7 i do believe it is)
    r

If you go to http://www.algop.org/qualifying-info...-for-delegates you'll find a lot of information, including a form you can fill out to have a delegate form sent to you. But basically, you fill out the information in the form and choose which spot you want to run in. As long as Dr. Paul gets 20% or more of the vote within a district he'll get at least one delegate in the district- specifically he'll get place 1 in the district. If he earns more than he can earn more delegates. The at-large delegates are awarded on a percentage basis. Again the early numbers (1,2,3, etc.) are awarded first, but there's usually more competition to run for those seats. The later numbers (23,24,25,26) are awarded only if the candidate wins all of the delegates by getting 50% or more in the primary, but there is rarely competition for those spots. It's sort of a like playing roulette with a little bit of strategy involved. When we ran for delegate spots in 07 we planned together so that we didn't have anyone running for duplicate spots.

It's a little complicated, so I hope that made sense. You can call the office at 205-212-5900 and ask to speak to me (Shana) or Clayton and we'll explain.

Please do this. Can you post this on the Alabama for Ron Paul Facebook too?
    "It is not enough these days to simply question authority. You must speak with it, too."
    -Taylor Mali

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by kah13176 View Post
    Please do this. Can you post this on the Alabama for Ron Paul Facebook too?
    I can't because only people who have "liked" the pages are able to post on the walls. I cannot "like" the page because it would look like I'm biased towards Dr. Paul and I have to remain publicly neutral due to my job with the Party. But feel free to post the link at the algop.org website anywhere you want and spread the word.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can someone do a thread like this for California?

I'm going to file mine tomorrow.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by BamaAla View Post
    I'm going to file mine tomorrow.
    Just saw this. The office is closed on Labor Day, but feel free to come in on Tuesday.

Out of 47 open delegate positions, we only have TWO Ron Paul supporters apply to be a delegate.

Cain already has 6 supporters, Perry has 7, and Romney has 21.

The deadline to qualify is January 13, 2012.

Here is more information on how to qualify as a delegate:
    http://www.algop.org/qualifying-info...-for-delegates

You can qualify as a Congressional District delegate or an At-Large delegate.

Delegate Counts:

Bachmann - 0
    Cain - 7
    Gingrich - 19
    Huntsman - 0
    Paul - 5
    Perry - 8
    Romney - 25

Only five Ron Paul supporters have filed to become delegates. We still need 42 people to apply by January 13.

I'd do it if I wasn't so clueless as to what a delegate actually does.
    Click here for a free copper round. Every three people you get signed up, you get another free round! NO PURCHASE NECESSARY!

Quote Originally Posted by xFiFtyOnE View Post
    I'd do it if I wasn't so clueless as to what a delegate actually does.
    Delegates are the voters who actually vote for the Presidential nominee at the Republican National Convention.

In Alabama, if you apply to become a delegate in your Congressional District and Ron Paul wins your Congressional District, you get to go to the Republican National Convention in Florida in August 2012 to vote for Ron Paul as the Republican nominee for President.

It does cost $150 to apply to become a delegate and if Ron Paul does win and you become his delegate, you will have to pay for your own travel expenses to Florida.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Only 10 people have filed to be delegates. We still need 37 more supporters in Alabama to pay the $150 fee and file to be a delegate.

The deadline is January 13.

Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    Only 10 people have filed to be delegates. We still need 37 more supporters in Alabama to pay the $150 fee and file to be a delegate.

The deadline is January 13.
    Can the campaign pay this fee and can they pay expenses for you to go the national
    Convention?

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Can the campaign pay this fee and can they pay expenses for you to go the national Convention?
    I have no idea but if I were to guess, I don't think they can pay for your travel expenses to Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    I have no idea but if I were to guess, I don't think they can pay for your travel expenses to Florida.
    Yeah I don't think so either, but it sure would help get delegates! Maybe the SuperPAC could? I guess they could "hire" you a a consultant who happens to need to do important work in Tampa on the day of te convention for the PAC...

Does anyone know when the office opens after the holidays?