Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABC News Blog: "Ron Paul's Gun Powder Plot" (November 5th)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ABC News Blog: "Ron Paul's Gun Powder Plot" (November 5th)

Not sure if this was posted here, I searched and couldn't find anything. Anyways, this is good coverage!

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalra...uls-gunpo.html

Ron Paul's Gunpowder Plot

November 02, 2007 6:12 PM

ABC's Z. Byron Wolf Reports from South Carolina: It's sort of an odd allusion for a fundraising campaign in these days of hypersensitivity to terrorism, even if the Congressman it will benefit is running for president as a Libertarian Republican spoiler who wants to drastically change the way government runs in Washington.

But there was Ron Paul on the stump at Clemson in South Carolina telling a group of several hundred students and supporters, "Remember, remember the 5th of November."

In this case, he was referring to a fundraising drive and not a plot specifically to blow anything up. Maybe the apple cart.

The catchy slogan comes from a nursery rhyme about Guy Fawkes, the 17th Century crusader for Catholics rights caught in the basement of Parliament with 36 barrels of gunpowder. He failed in his mission to blow the place up.

Paul clarified at the rally that he is not involved in this particular fundraising effort.

But on their website with a call "for the largest one day political donation in history," Paul supporters want to ignite a monetary bomb of their own. They hope for 100,000 subscribers to raise $10 million bucks for Paul on that day. They have a ways to go over the weekend –- the site lists 15,991 subscribers as of late Friday.

The Paul campaign has set an official goal of raising $12 million by the end of the year.

Perhaps it's a stretch, but if Parliament is anything like Congress, its an allegorical explosion in the place where Paul casts votes every day as a Republican Congressman from Texas.

The Guy Fawkes theme is not new in popular culture. But in recent years, allusions have seen the plot succeed -- or at least envisioned a boom.

It's the topic of the John Lennon song "Remember" from his Plastic Ono Band Album.

The end of the song goes like this: "If you ever feel so sad, And the whole world is driving you mad, Remember, remember today. Don't feel sorry, 'Bout the way it's gone, Don't you worry, 'Bout what you've done, Remember, remember the fifth of November. (Boom)"

The Guy Fawkes scenario is also the subject of the dystopic 2005 Big Brother-style fantasy thriller "V for Vendetta" in which a Guy Fawkes caped crusader succeeds in blowing up Parliament.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That doesn't seem negative. And the person who wrote the article "gets it".

This is a very positive posting. Hope for more of the same.

Yea, it's good except the first line

"even if the Congressman it will benefit is running for president as a Libertarian Republican spoiler"

Quote Originally Posted by brumans View Post
    Yea, it's good except the first line

"even if the Congressman it will benefit is running for president as a Libertarian Republican spoiler"
    When I read that all I heard was, Blah Blah Blah.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've been thinking about this for a while and I've decided that donating on the 5th is a good idea.

Not that I really have any control over it anyway. The consensus is that is the date to donate and frankly since it's out of any individual's hands at this point I may as well.

The worst case scenario is that it sends a message to washington, the press makes a big deal out of it (maybe positive, maybe negative) and it eventually blows over and the campaign makes a lot of money.

The best case scenario is basically the same thing and it doesn't blow over and people can't stop talking about Ron Paul.

I'll probably donate on the 11th as well but my previous concerns about the 5th I think are just that, concerns. It doesn't really matter at this point because any press is good press IMO. I encourage everyone who had reservations about donating on this day to do the same thing I'm doing and donate anyway.

Just brings more people to the cause.

If you do a little research into the time period, you will find that Catholics in England were persecuted in a manner not dissimilar to Jews in Germany in the late 1930's.

The Catholic religion was basically banned. Priests were driven underground and if you were caught practicing the Catholic religion you were either sent away to the dungeon or killed summarily.

Guy Fawkes was a Catholic who was fighting against religious persecution - just as those who first settled this country left England due to religious persecution and just as our constitution separates church and state so we don't have state sponsored religion and the ensuing persecution.

I had never heard of Guy Fawkes or this "V" movie before the 5th site came about, but with some research, it seems his motives were noble, though one can argue whether blowing up an oppressive royal family and their parliament was the proper way to go about things.

Ron Paul would say negotiate and talk, but RP would also agree that our own revolution against England, which boiled down to a violent war, was needed.
    Last edited by tmg19103; 11-03-2007 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Just brings more people to the cause.

Yup! I thought it was a cool article.

another good commen

"My fellow Americans just don't seem to care that our nation, along with The Constitution upon which it was founded, is being flushed-down the NWO toilet by our nations' bought and paid for politicians and media.

While the Oligarchs warn and insite fear in the sheeple about the prospect of terrorism, they at the same time leave our border wide open, and fund and conduct illegal wars overseas that do nothing but encite the terrorism which their Orwellian Laws like the Patriot Act and The Real ID Act pretend to protect us from.

Wake up America! It's not about protecting you from terrorism, or saving the planet from Global Warming, or any of that other fear-mongering garbage the sold-out, mainstream media feeds you 24/7. It's about feeding the bankers and the military industrial complex, and facilitating the ruling elite's ability to ratchet-down control over the American people, placing us into a total control grid where they can surveille, track and control everywhere we go and everything we do. It's the groundwork for totalitarianism, my friends. It's New World Order plan of Bush, Clinton, Giuliani, et.al., being executed quite beautifully.

You're a victim of mass mind control--a frog in a pot. In order to cook the frog, you don't throw him into a pot of boiling water. If you do, he'll resist and jump-out. What you do instead is, you turn the heat-up REAL SLOW, and by the time the water is boiling he won't be able to jump out anymore, because it's too late--he's already doomed.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 3, 2007 2:30:29 PM"
    "A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicity." - Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address

wow. great article. even we havent articulated it that well. lol

:P

Haha this is great they even gave thisnovember5th some linkage.

Some really good comments on that article as well. BillydKid reply was good, I liked it.
    http://freeme.tv get the latest in videos for Ron Paul around the net.

Also check out the Ron Paul Newsroom

Grassroots supporter and blogger, check it out!! http://www.politicallore.com/

"Dont tax me. Bro!!"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A lesson to be learned might be that everything we do, is what we make of it.

It's up to us to spin things positively and stay inspired. Not the MSM.

In fact, for such a large group of people who obsess about MSM bias, just as many of those people are quick to scan each article for validation of Dr. Paul's position, or retribution for inaccuracy.

Just gotta keep campaigning, hopefully offline. Make it happen, don't wait for someone to write that it is happening to you or that you don't matter.
    Hi!

Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Some really good comments on that article as well. BillydKid reply was good, I liked it.
    Damn, the remark I commented on from billydkid is now gone. wtf is that about.

It was about the diversity of the supporters.
    http://freeme.tv get the latest in videos for Ron Paul around the net.

Also check out the Ron Paul Newsroom

Grassroots supporter and blogger, check it out!! http://www.politicallore.com/

"Dont tax me. Bro!!"

Great coverage!

Yeah, I have to admit it was fairly decent.

Thanks ABC!

surprisingly evenhanded given all the implications of guy fawkes/5th of november

Interesting. If we can pull this off it WILL make headlines!
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Well this shows that even reporters can seperate fantasy from reality

Not really...even a blind hog roots up an acorn now and then.
    Why can't everybody else leave everybody else alone?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by MsDoodahs View Post
    Not really...even a blind hog roots up an acorn now and then.
    A broken clock is right twice a day.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I think this is a good sign of how most people will view the November 5th drive as just a sort of poetic commentary on our state of government. Obviously the Paul skeptics will use it for other purposes, but I think most are going to go about it like this guy did.

Gee I wonder if we should have another Money Bomb?

TruckinMike
    “No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders.”
    ― Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by TruckinMike View Post
    Gee I wonder if we should have another Money Bomb?

TruckinMike
    Dec 16th! Boston Tea Party!

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    A broken clock is right twice a day.
    Exactly. At those points, it's right, but it's right for the wrong reason.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free." -Göthe
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
    "Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure." - Robert LeFevre

Quote Originally Posted by foofighter20x View Post
    Exactly. At those points, it's right, but it's right for the wrong reason.
    You lose. We win. Try not to whine and stamp your feet about it.

Randy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast