Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caucus Process and How to Become a Delegate

Caucus Process and How to Become a Delegate

Caucus Process

1. On the primary election ballot, voters elect delegates to the State Convention.

2. At the State Convention, delegates elect delegates to the Republican National Convention.

How to Become a Delegate to the State Convention

1. You must be a member in good standing with the Republican Party (the meaning of this has been debated in the past and can mean voting Republican in the last election, be a dues paying member of the Republican Party, etc.).

2. You must have cast a Republican Party ballot at your most recent vote at a primary election. If you have never voted in a primary election before, must get an authorization form (IRSC/CA-1) from your County GOP. You must attach this form to the CAN-37 form described below when sending it in.

3. Fill out this CAN-37 form here and submit to your County Election Board. The filing date is between January 11 and February 10. You MUST get the form notarized.

4. Win the primary election (same ballot as the election for President) to move on as a delegate to the State Convention.

Summary

1. Everyone needs to try to become a delegate to the State Convention.

2. To do so, fill out this form here and send it in by February 10 (it must be received by noon on February 10).

3. To fill out the form, you will need to know your voting information. You can find those here.
    Last edited by tsai3904; 01-18-2012 at 01:30 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe I'm just having a brain fart but I'm still confused.

Quote Originally Posted by FriedChicken View Post
    Maybe I'm just having a brain fart but I'm still confused.
    What don't you get?

In early 2012, you will be able to file a form (CAN-37) with the County Election Board stating that you want to be a delegate at the State Convention. Your name will then be placed on the primary ballot (the same ballot where you will vote for Ron Paul). If you win the election, you will become a delegate to the State Convention.

Many of you may not be aware of what happened in Arizona state GOP convention so I will tell you here what happened.
    I and many other Ron Paul delegates went to the AZ GOP Convention to nominate delegates into super-delegate status for the RNC.I did not expect the neoconservative camp to do what they did but they did it. A list of names was printed up every 5 minutes and handed out to every row of chairs in the big state convention center. The list was handed out in the midst of voting for super-delegates and the list had marked off names. Black listed names which the neoconservatives created in order to enable their secret plans of establishing control over the convention. This is no exaggeration ,there were 6 lists handed out every 5 minutes. They are updated copies of who was and who wasn't a John McCain supporter. It would be wise to create a neocon list of your local GOP to be able to print and hand out if they so choose to pull that trick out of the hat first.Be prepared, we have to win the super-delegate nominations.
    Last edited by CaptainAmerica; 08-19-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Call your local GOP they will inform you about becoming a delegate.Tell them "I wan't to participate in the process of becoming a delegate in my local GOP as a republican voter because I see that America is in a crisis with Barrack Obama as president".

I was a delegate in Indiana last time and yes, you get the form, get on the ballot and that's pretty much it.

I have a question though - since I was a RP delegate last time (and actively stood in opposition of McCain), I will get the stink eye treatment if I try again this time. I will be a known "outsider". Do you think it will be worth trying again, or should I recruit someone in my place?
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

A Ron Paul 2012 Delegates training site is up: http://ronpauldelegates.wordpress.com/

Bump. This is very important.

Primaries are won by delegates, not by voters.
    "It is not enough these days to simply question authority. You must speak with it, too."
    -Taylor Mali

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    -Samuel Adams

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Another bump, time is coming soon to get the form. I sent a message to all my local family/friends who are politically active.

Most precincts don't have a chairman. You get on the form, you will most likely run unopposed. Then we can party in Indy!
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

http://www.weeklystandard.com/sites/...%20Summary.pdf
    Indiana:
    46 total delegates:
    3 RNC, 27 Congressional Delegates, 16 At Large

Primary: May 8, 2012
    Delegate Filing: May 22, 2012
    CD Convention: No earlier than June 8, 2012
    State Convention: June 8th & 9th, 2012

I understand the at large delegates are chosen at the state convention, but how do we get to be the congressional delegates?

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    I understand the at large delegates are chosen at the state convention, but how do we get to be the congressional delegates?
    From what I remember reading previous threads, the CD delegates are chosen by a committee and are presented to each CD Caucus as a slate (CD Caucuses are held the day of or the day before the State Convention). You can only vote the slate up or down. Only if the slate is voted down, which is going to be hard to do, then nominations for CD delegates can be made by people attending the State Convention.

Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    From what I remember reading previous threads, the CD delegates are chosen by a committee and are presented to each CD Caucus as a slate (CD Caucuses are held the day of or the day before the State Convention). You can only vote the slate up or down. Only if the slate is voted down, which is going to be hard to do, then nominations for CD delegates can be made by people attending the State Convention.
    Yes - this is what we ran into last time. A whole room (300+?) of Republicans and only about a dozen RP supporters.

I guess you have to be in the inner circle to choose who is on the list.

Yes - this is what we ran into last time. A whole room (300+?) of Republicans and only about a dozen RP supporters.

I guess you have to be in the inner circle to choose who is on the list.
    This is why I encourage everyone to apply as a candidate for delegate to the State Convention. Some will say that it's pointless and it costs money to file ($80) and to attend the State Convention but you can apply first and decide/pay after you find out if you got elected as a delegate.

This is why I encourage everyone to apply as a candidate for delegate to the State Convention. Some will say that it's pointless and it costs money to file ($80) and to attend the State Convention but you can apply first and decide/pay after you find out if you got elected as a delegate.
    It most certainly is NOT pointless.

In most cases the people who file the CAN-37 will run UNOPPOSED and thus be allowed a straight pass to go to the state convention. If you aren't at the state convention then your voice is not being heard.

It most certainly is NOT pointless.

In most cases the people who file the CAN-37 will run UNOPPOSED and thus be allowed a straight pass to go to the state convention. If you aren't at the state convention then your voice is not being heard.
    I completely agree with you but read this discussion I had with another member who went through the process in 08:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...IN-MT-NE-WA-WY

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I completely agree with you but read this discussion I had with another member who went through the process in 08:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...IN-MT-NE-WA-WY
    Ok, I read through that and I agree with both of you.

The primary determines WHO the delegates are to vote for at the national convention. If Ron Paul doesn't win the primary, he won't get votes at the convention. If he DOES win - Ron Paul supporters absolutely MUST have enough people in those rooms (9 of them - one for each Congressional District) in order to keep the establishment from going a different direction.

In case it looks like the national convention will end up being brokered - it becomes even MORE important! We absolutely must have enough RP supporters in there [the Indiana convention] to vote for valid RP delegates going to national. Since Indiana Republicans modified their rules to make it so that the GOP leaders choose the list of national delegates - and the group simply votes up or down - we simply MUST have enough feet in those rooms to vote down THEIR choices.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1
    But understand that Indiana's primary is really late. Chances are very high that the nominee will have been decided before that primary happens. The only scenario where doing this works out in our favor is one where two conditions are met beforehand: 1) Ron Paul is still a credible candidate to win the nomination come June, and not just in the eyes of his own supporters; and 2) Ron Paul will have either won the Indiana primary in May or essentially tied to win it. Otherwise, any attempt to win delegates for Paul at the convention will be seen as derailing the nomination process and harming the party. The leaders will try to stop us anyway, but under circumstances like those their job would be pretty easy, and the Paul supporters would get no sympathy from anybody no matter what rules the party had to break to stop us.[
    The establishment changed the rules in order to keep Newt Perry around as long as possible. This could ALSO work in our favor.
    Last edited by mosquitobite; 12-23-2011 at 09:32 PM.

What kind of numbers do we have? We need a list of Hoosier ron paul supporters so they can become a delegate.
    -Ancap-

OK guys. I'm new to this place. I'm trying to understand and wade through this process. how in the world can I get involved with the delegate process? How much time will I have to commit for this? How exactly do I go about doing this? I'm going to continue to read through this stuff so I can understand this better because I am interested. The time commitment does worry me though.

Quote Originally Posted by 118pass View Post
    OK guys. I'm new to this place. I'm trying to understand and wade through this process. how in the world can I get involved with the delegate process? How much time will I have to commit for this? How exactly do I go about doing this? I'm going to continue to read through this stuff so I can understand this better because I am interested. The time commitment does worry me though.
    Once you submit the candidate for delegate form, your name will be placed on the May 8 primary ballot. If you win the election, you will be a delegate to the State Convention in June. If you win the election and you decide to follow through with being a delegate, you will have to pay around a $80 fee and pay for your own travel expenses to the State Convention (not sure what city it will be held in this year).

The only commitment you have is to travel to the State Convention in June for 1 or 2 days to participate in the convention.

Yeah it is basically 1 peice of paper. Very easy. Then travel to Indy or wherever else it is.
    -Ancap-

Ahoy! What are the Requirements to be able to be a Delegate? I'm 23 years old, could I do this? Also I voted for Obama last time (sadly), but it was an absentee ballot, which probably doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan M View Post
    Ahoy! What are the Requirements to be able to be a Delegate? I'm 23 years old, could I do this? Also I voted for Obama last time (sadly), but it was an absentee ballot, which probably doesn't matter.
    Have you ever voted in a primary before?

The requirements are to be an upstanding member of the party (which some claim means you should have voted in the Republican primary last year)

I am assuming they'll be more critical of us this year, but it doesn't hurt to run. File the CAN-37 form.

Bump.

Today is the first day you can file!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    To find out your precinct, etc. go to this link and enter your info:

https://indianavoters.in.gov/PublicS...ookieSupport=1
    I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom ... go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels nor arms. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

Precinct Leader - Greenwood, IN

Become a precinct leader and save the country

www.RonPaul2012.com

Quote Originally Posted by Evan M View Post
    I was a delegate when I was 19, so yes. If you're a registered member of the Republic Party, it doesn't hurt to try.

Quote Originally Posted by 118pass View Post
    I'm a different state and trying to figure it out as well. Look at the forums front page, toward the bottom. It has information for each state (old). It's helpful though and gives addresses where you write for the forms, brochure explaining the process in your state, etc.
    Speak the truth, even if your voice shakes.

I have several questions on this, sorry for the newbie questions:
    • This is going to be my first time voting in a primary, will this be an issue? How do I become "a member in good standing with the Republican Party" if this is going to be my first time voting? Actually, second as I did vote in my town's mayor election several months ago.
    • What do I write down for question #2 in CAN-37 form? According to indianavoters.in.gov, I am in Congressional district 5. Do I just write down 5 for that question?
    • On the second half of question #3 in CAN-37 form, it asks for Convention Delegate District or "At Large". Do I write down my Congressional District number or should I just write down "At Large"? Is congressional district number from indianavoters.in.gov the same as Convention Delegate District?

Thanks again and I apologize in advance for my silly questions.
    Last edited by simon1911; 01-16-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by simon1911 View Post
    I have several questions on this, sorry for the newbie questions:
    • This is going to be my first time voting in a primary, will this be an issue? How do I become "a member in good standing with the Republican Party" if this is going to be my first time voting? Actually, second as I did vote in my town's mayor election several months ago.
    • What do I write down for question #2 in CAN-37 form? According to indianavoters.in.gov, I am in Congressional district 5. Do I just write down 5 for that question?
    • On the second half of question #3 in CAN-37 form, it asks for Convention Delegate District or "At Large". Do I write down my Congressional District number or should I just write down "At Large"? Is congressional district number from indianavoters.in.gov the same as Convention Delegate District?

Thanks again and I apologize in advance for my silly questions.
    1. Fill out the form and send it in. If you being a first time voter is an issue, they will let you know. You really have nothing to lose except the fee to get the form notarized.

2. Yes, write down "5th" in #2.

3. Not sure about this one. Hopefully someone who's done this before can answer this.
    Last edited by tsai3904; 01-17-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast