Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: An Effective Twitter Strategy...

Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    This is one of the least low-brow ways of building a twitter base. Most social media courses and consultants recommend starting off by following those who you would like following you and then continually scrub your list.
    Yep. This strategy is the same one I use to introduce my clients to Twitter.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by roughridersten View Post
    Everyone who follows Bachmann on twitter isn't necessarily a supporter of her. I know a few that I have followed have been liberals and some are obvious Ron Paul supporters. However, what that demographic (Bachmann followers) does describe is an individual that is interested enough in politics to follow a presidential candidate. They are also someone that cares about the Republican primary and are interested in what one of the candidates has to say. Sure some of them have already made up their minds (like us), but I'm sure many are still making up their minds and that who is I am after.

Following someone on twitter is different than friending or liking on facebook. It is not necessary to reciprocate (like friending) and it doesn't necessarily indicate endorsement (like liking). Instead (at least in my mind) it indicates interest in what the person has to say. Of course, I am now a shining example of someone that doesn't fit this profile as I have followed 1500 Bachmann followers now with little to no interest in what they have to say. BTW, 145 of them have followed me back so far.

Oh and if you have an idea of how to target the groups you mentioned go for it!
    Thanks for the more in-depth detail. You pointed on something that I missed: Following someone on twitter is indeed different than friending or liking on Facebook. Anyone deploying this strategy, don't worry that they might not be "allies" or "friends"; what matters is having another human to interact with. This is the advantage Twitter has over Facebook.

bumping as a reminder.

The math in the OP is wrong. If 1,000 supporters each amassed 2,000 followers -- that's 2,000,000 followers total. Unless I misunderstood something...
    "A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government." - Thomas Jefferson's First Inaugural Address, 1801

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuH2O View Post
    The math in the OP is wrong. If 1,000 supporters each amassed 2,000 followers -- that's 2,000,000 followers total. Unless I misunderstood something...
    Whoops. Good catch!

I got 57 followers in about 36 hours so its not that hard to get followers but it will take longer than a week.

Quote Originally Posted by joebus36 View Post
    I got 57 followers in about 36 hours so its not that hard to get followers but it will take longer than a week.
    Did you max out your following to 2,000? If you don't do that, this becomes painstakingly slow.

I have almost 200 followers now after following about 600 people.

25 followers so far only been at it for 1 day, I've been mostly following Bachmann/Perry/Cain supporters

I think I'm going to follow some Iowa/NH followers next. I'm guessing NH Sen and Grassley/King/Branstad would be good to go to for that
    Last edited by LibertyEsq; 08-22-2011 at 04:22 PM.

Update: 1500 following but only 50 followers after about 2-3 days

Quote Originally Posted by Buchananite View Post
    Hmm.. Did you upload an image and bio statement? What's the twitter name?

I think it's fantastic to get rid of dead weight and "expand" your base, but I actually like following some accounts that won't follow me back. I actually get news from my twitter account.
    " Anyone can become angry. That is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose and in the right way - that is not easy." --Aristotle

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monique View Post
    I love the idea of using social networking. We need to have huge networks to make a tiny dent in the MSM blackout. But, I don't like the idea of following Bachmann supporters. I could be wrong, but if I got tons of messages from Perry supporters because I am a Ron Paul supporter, I would be even more turned off to him than I am already. Don't we want to be targeting people who haven't already made up their mind? I know nothing at all about twitter and I suspect I will be a newbie to that forum shortly. I like the idea of it all, just the part about following Bachmann or Perry or any any other candidate supporters seems like a waste of time. Can't we just grab republican anti war supporters, or republican raw milk supporters, or any other group of people that we might turn into Paul supporters if only they knew more about him?
    I think the best way to do it is to slowly inform people that Paul is a viable candidate before overtly supporting him. My last tweet was: "Gallup: Romney, Paul, Bachmann, and Perry all could beat Obama (link)"

update: up to 52 followers with 600 followed btw

another interesting note: I have the group Rick_Perry_Vets as a "list" that is following me..
    Last edited by LibertyEsq; 08-22-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buchananite View Post
    Well, follow 1,500 every day for 3 months and you'll get there!

:collins:

Folks, slowly but steadily, this is working. We ALL need to be doing this. If we want RP to get an online grassroots boost, this is the way to do it.

im up to 90 followers with 900 followed in 3 days. Thats a 10-1 ratio of followed-followers. 30 Followers a day will get me to 2000 in about 2 months, which is WELL in time for a couple moneybombs and of course the primaries.

If we got 100 of us to do this, that's at least 200,000 grassroots twitter followers just for members of this forum. I'm sure we could get more than that individually as well. Imagine if we got just 1/10th of those followers to donate to our moneybombs. It would make a huge difference, especially if we converted some of these followers to voters/supporters.
    Last edited by LibertyEsq; 08-23-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEsq View Post
    I think the best way to do it is to slowly inform people that Paul is a viable candidate before overtly supporting him. My last tweet was: "Gallup: Romney, Paul, Bachmann, and Perry all could beat Obama (link)"

update: up to 52 followers with 600 followed btw

another interesting note: I have the group Rick_Perry_Vets as a "list" that is following me..
    I'm curious, does your account name associate to Ron Paul? Your point kind of applies to the account name as well. If doing variations of "RonPaulxxxxx" or something similar, that might influence the follow back. I'll update the main post to point this out.

Quote Originally Posted by dusman View Post
    I'm curious, does your account name associate to Ron Paul? Your point kind of applies to the account name as well. If doing variations of "RonPaulxxxxx" or something similar, that might influence the follow back. I'll update the main post to point this out.
    No, I have my name associated with tea party (to appeal to primary voters) but not ron paul. I haven't been supporting him in my tweets yet, just mentioning him with polls that come out

No, I have my name associated with tea party (to appeal to primary voters) but not ron paul. I haven't been supporting him in my tweets yet, just mentioning him with polls that come out
    That might be why it's moving somewhat slower. Nonetheless, it's still effective as you will get follows from mostly Tea Party people - a good base to target. As long as you stay consistent, you'll have a lot of people at your fingertips.

Perhaps when I'm finished with this moneybomb site, I'll jump over real quick and setup a web site where all of you can plug in your Twitter accounts and count the total following this effort is creating. When people see the accumulated impact of their individual effort... they will blow up this idea. Just needs something visual showing the results to "get it".
    Last edited by dusman; 08-23-2011 at 03:02 PM.

This sounds awesome. What is the strategy to convert them to Ron after they follow us though? What do we say? I don't have a twitter so I will have to make one and learn how to use it.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronpauljones View Post
    This sounds awesome. What is the strategy to convert them to Ron after they follow us though? What do we say? I don't have a twitter so I will have to make one and learn how to use it.
    It's really just a perception thing. It's up to you how you want to talk about Ron Paul. I don't recommend just talking about Ron Paul exclusively, so engaging in small talk really helps.

Be interesting and people will follow! The trick is not annoying them once you get them!
    Last edited by dusman; 08-23-2011 at 03:08 PM.

I broke 2000 followers the hard way. And I'm blowing away the NC House leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronpauljones View Post
    I'm just re-tweeting tweets that don't mention RP specifically but are along his lines.. retweets from lew rockwell, TenthAmendment, Mises, RevPAC, Heritage, YAL, etc.

We need to get this strategy to spread to lots of people on the forum. Besides, its fun to have your own personal twitter follower army

We need to get this strategy to spread to lots of people on the forum. Besides, its fun to have your own personal twitter follower army
    Isn't it? I use Google Shortener and test marketing strategies on mine. Stuff like different titles and whatnot, then check to see which got the most clickthroughs.

Perhaps when I'm finished with this moneybomb site, I'll jump over real quick and setup a web site where all of you can plug in your Twitter accounts and count the total following this effort is creating. When people see the accumulated impact of their individual effort... they will blow up this idea. Just needs something visual showing the results to "get it".
    This is a great idea.

It's really just a perception thing. It's up to you how you want to talk about Ron Paul. I don't recommend just talking about Ron Paul exclusively, so engaging in small talk really helps.

Be interesting and people will follow! The trick is not annoying them once you get them!
    I'll see what I can do.

Oh, and btw, you still hit limits after 2000 followers. I just hit another one at 2285. above 2k followers, your limits become a function of your following.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Oh, and btw, you still hit limits after 2000 followers. I just hit another one at 2285. above 2k followers, your limits become a function of your following.
    Yeah, I wanted to avoid anymore confusion in the original strategy. Twitter is hard enough for some to understand! I think it's something like 10% above your followers or something like that.

Yeah, I wanted to avoid anymore confusion in the original strategy. Twitter is hard enough for some to understand! I think it's something like 10% above your followers or something like that.
    Yeah, it's a PITA tho when a House Rep gets blocked from followbacks because Twitter imposes said limits

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast