Thread: Never vote for unbalanced budget - balance the budget in 3 years???

Question Never vote for unbalanced budget - balance the budget in 3 years???

Ok, I noticed on the latest ad and a few other ads that the campaign is saying that Ron Paul is voting against unbalanced budgets and then it says his plan is to balance the budget in 3 years...

So, the first 2 years, will he be voting for an unbalanced budget?

I can see how perhaps the statement "voting against unbalanced budgets" could mean that he has always voted against an unbalanced budget. But it is a bit ambiguous.

I understand that he will be cutting the budget by a trillion dollars year one and that brings it very close to a balanced budget, but I am curious how he will react when he has to authorize the borrowing of money those first two years.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If they agree to his 3 year plan; then voting/approving of the 1st year can be interpretted as voting for a balanced budget; just one that covers a 3 year span.

I was thinking about this too. Perhaps he will become practical once in the White House.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwar View Post
    So, the first 2 years, will he be voting for an unbalanced budget?
    No. He won't be voting on anything. He won't be in Congress.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    No. He won't be voting on anything. He won't be in Congress.

I am sure he will miss it.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

I actually think he could do some good by throwing out any balanced budget talk and emphasize cutting taxes and cutting spending.

Compared to the 2010 budget, his first year plan is for expenditures of $2.8 trillion http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issue...store-america/ vs $3.5 trillion for 2010 which would be $700 billion lower- a pretty significant haircut for the government. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Un...federal_budget

He then lets spending rise only very gradually and expects rising revenues to finally get the budget to balance in later years- his estimates indicate revenue rises by 25% over three years- a pretty hefty increase there ($2.4 trillion to $3.1 trillion by 2016).

If he becomes president he will have to sign an unbalanced budget (unless he thinks Congress will be able to over-ride his veto) until it is balanced (assuming he is president and his plan gets put into action- remember that Congress will do the actual spending bill writing).
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-17-2012 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    He then lets spending rise only very gradually and expects rising revenues to finally get the budget to balance in later years- his estimates indicate revenue rises by 25% over three years- a pretty hefty increase there ($2.4 trillion to $3.1 trillion by 2016).
    He uses CBO's estimates for baseline revenues, which, I think, everyone must use when they produce a budget.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.