Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Even Reason's Katherine Mangu-Ward is drinking the "ron paul can't win" kool-aid

Even Reason's Katherine Mangu-Ward is drinking the "ron paul can't win" kool-aid

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Who is Mangu? Never mind who cares. Just noticed that she doesn't have a straight nose.

She looks like a freaking mouse. So there.

On the other hand, the older lady was awesome. Very well spoken and confident.

Yeah Katherine discredits herself here. To pretend that a 75 year old man would endure the rigors of a Presidential primary for something other than to be elected President is absurd. Ron Paul has a legitimate shot of winning the nomination and the election, and he knows damn well that he does. That is why he is running.

He also knows that the television media will undermine his campaign - they are demonstrably doing so now with coordinated talking points "the top tier are ..., the top tier are..., the top tier appear to be..." - this is self-evident. Kudos to the second guest for pointing this out. More importantly, however, Ron Paul knows that the television media has discredited itself and chased many consumers to the Internet, where his stances and his record absolutely dominate the conservative and constitutionalist constituency.

The question is not whether Ron Paul can win - he clearly can. The question is whether the mainstream media reaches a larger conservative voting audience than the Internet media. Ron Paul is running, because he believes the mainstream media will be overcome and a new era in American discourse has begun.

I for one hope that he is right!

What is that woman smoking? I mean...if nothing intelligent comes out of your mouth, why open it?

Reason has a strong bias against ron paul. It's really annoying since they're both striving for the same thing. I think they disagree on immigration and some other small things. Reason has written a hit peice on paul before.
    -Ancap-

Quote Originally Posted by bwlibertyman View Post
    Reason has a strong bias against ron paul. It's really annoying since they're both striving for the same thing. I think they disagree on immigration and some other small things. Reason has written a hit peice on paul before.
    Yep, they're against him. They smear him often, and that's why I don't support them anymore. They're not trustworthy.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Reason does some decent stuff. That said, they're corporate libertarians first and foremost. Paul would be as much a disaster for them as for everyone in DC.
    Follow my blog at http://tirelessagorist.blogspot.com/
    Current commentary from a libertarian/voluntaryist/agorist perspective.

Consistent Candidate - with Chainspell

Ron Paul Landslide by Jake Kellen - Constitution Mix

The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today.

Eh.. I've heard nothing but good words from Nick Gillespie and Matt Welch about Ron Paul.. they admitted that they support Johnson, but Nick has never back stabbed Paul.. Nick once debated O'Reilly back in 08 in defense of Paul,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYqwmiprsBA

among many other occasions. Since Matt Welch and Nick Gillespie are the loudest voices from ReasonTV and they have constantly voiced support for Ron Paul's efforts, their support of rp should have recognition, if it doesn't overshadow negative circumstances such as this outright, at least for their youtube channel which has not posted any anti paul material out of the some 50 odd videos i have watched.

btw she is also employed at other places as a writer.. weekly standard for one i believe. i think she would be fine to totally disassociate herself from libertarianism. save all of us the grief yet not hurt herself financially.
    Last edited by jtstellar; 08-16-2011 at 10:12 PM.

I used to subscribe to their magazine. I agree that they haven't stabbed him in the back on the judge's show. One of those 2 is the editor. That means these hit pieces go through them. If they wanted to stop it I think they could. They lost my support and my money.
    -Ancap-

Quote Originally Posted by bwlibertyman View Post
    I used to subscribe to their magazine. I agree that they haven't stabbed him in the back on the judge's show. One of those 2 is the editor. That means these hit pieces go through them. If they wanted to stop it I think they could. They lost my support and my money.
    To be fair, Matt Welch as the editor has the job of making Reason support the whole of the Libertarian population, not just the pro-paul libertarians, but the anti-paul ones as well. Reason is supposed to be an outlet for libertarians for all stripes, and as much as we dislike dissenting opinions it'd be disengenuine for reason to only air one side of the libertarian mind thrust.

Matt Welch and Nick Gillespie are good guys, and I usally think Katherine is good at making Libertarian arguments, although this piece shows she's kinda bitter about how little attention is getting ignored and was a a very self-defeating way of doing it.

But if we damn a whole publication for what one contributor does... we will find outselves very sheltered from society and no longer have the sense of peoples thought processes enough to be able to bring them to our side.

You must understand someone before you can change them, it's the same problem with all these wars, we try to change people without understanding them.

I dislike what katherine said, but sometimes we overreact way too much...

Do you how much crap is said about Michelle Bachmann on the media on a daily basis, yet she still polls very well.

Our problem is a little bit about image, but at the end of the day we're are in the midst of a very ambitious ideological shift in our country and we're helping speed it along by our outreach and education, we are paying too much credence to the occasional bad soundbite.

We do get a lot more coverage, and most of it's positive, it won't all be.
    Alex Merced - A Champion of Freedom
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

HAYEKFORUMS.COM
    - Economics and Philosophy Discussion and Debate

ALEXMERCEDFORUMS.COM
    - Libertarian Community and Discussion

Donate to Help Alex Merced promote Liberty Full Time

FACEBOOK PAGES YOU SHOULD LIKE

The Man-goo Ward was only taking a strike at the Dr. to boost her own popularity. She'll find little solace in the hits from Neo-cons tonight, and drink herself to sleep.
    Cheer for her for taking her shot - pity her for swinging at the wrong pitch.
    Let's move forward to the Constitution.. I am the new GOP. I stand with Rand.

Well call it overreaction, but I just called and canceled my subscription. I can't support a publication that would say this.
    “John Galt is Prometheus who changed his mind. After centuries of being torn by vultures in payment for having brought to men the fire of the gods, he broke his chains and he withdrew his fire until the day when men withdraw their vultures.”
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMerced View Post
    But if we damn a whole publication for what one contributor does... we will find outselves very sheltered from society and no longer have the sense of peoples thought processes enough to be able to bring them to our side.
    Katherine is the Senior Editor at "Reason."

This is akin to me running around on national television shouting that Ron Paul doesn't have a chance in interviews.

Would you continue visiting RonPaulForums.com? We're not talking about one contributor.

Ron is polling at 16% in Iowa and at 14% in NH. It is August 2011.

There is only one reason that you would say a surging candidate does not have a chance. Heck, she even pimps Bachmann as being a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshLowry View Post

This is akin to me running around on national television shouting that Ron Paul doesn't have a chance in interviews.

Would you continue visiting RonPaulForums.com? We're not talking about one contributor.

There is only one reason that you would say a surging candidate does not have a chance. Heck, she even pimps Bachmann as being a good option.
    I'm with you Josh. This was an over-the-top, out-of-the-way attack on Ron.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

+rep

Hit them where it hurts by not giving them any money. I cancelled two subscriptions today.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    She looks like a freaking mouse. So there.

On the other hand, the older lady was awesome. Very well spoken and confident.
    Mice are cute.

Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

I'd have dropped these forums like a bad transmission. Sunk 'em like a 3-foot-putt.

"Official" libertarians really can be $#@!s though. We went through this in 2008 ad nauseum. Elitist, amateur, obnoxious, narrow and unable to think outside the box, or show the remotest semblance of creativity and recognition of an enormous opportunity. They do not want to succeed, and I'm not sure why, but it strikes me as them being insecure about their philosophy (if they actually believe it), or they are quite happy being big fish in a puny, putrid pond.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    I'd have dropped these forums like a bad transmission. Sunk 'em like a 3-foot-putt.

"Official" libertarians really can be $#@!s though. We went through this in 2008 ad nauseum. Elitist, amateur, obnoxious, narrow and unable to think outside the box, or show the remotest semblance of creativity and recognition of an enormous opportunity. They do not want to succeed, and I'm not sure why, but it strikes me as them being insecure about their philosophy (if they actually believe it), or they are quite happy being big fish in a puny, putrid pond.
    +rep... reminds me of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=056C4wM9niQ

A quick look at her bio on reason.org reveals her "formative" years (under Bill Kristol?):

Katherine Mangu-Ward is a senior editor of Reason magazine and Reason.com.

Previously, Mangu-Ward worked as a reporter for The Weekly Standard magazine and as a researcher at The New York Times op-ed page for columnist John Tierney.

http://reason.org/experts/opeds/katherine-mangu-ward
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Reason.com dissing Ron Paul "Is Ron Paul Getting the Coverage He Deserves?"

h xxp://reason.com/blog/2011/08/17/reasoners-on-the-tube-is-ron-p#comments

...Mangu-Ward provocatively states, "I think Ron Paul is getting a tremendous amount of coverage for someone who is never going to be president." Additionally, she says that everyone, including Paul and his campaigners, know that. She continues that Paul " is bringing some great, overlooked issues into the debate" and wonders more why Rep. Michelle Bachmann (R-Minn.) is taken seriously rather than Paul marginalized...
    [video in OP]
    Last edited by sailingaway; 08-17-2011 at 10:26 PM.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
    - Mark Twain

"I'm Ron Paul, I'm a Congressman from Texas serving in my tenth term, I am the champion of the Constitution." 05/03/07 - revolution restarts

existing thread on that article here:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ighlight=mangu
    Last edited by jct74; 08-17-2011 at 10:50 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    I'm sorry about that, I did a search for "reason.com" in the last week and got nothing...

Thanks for the link though....
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
    - Mark Twain

"I'm Ron Paul, I'm a Congressman from Texas serving in my tenth term, I am the champion of the Constitution." 05/03/07 - revolution restarts

I'll merge them. It is a hit piece I sure don't want two.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

We have an opportunist...

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/20...g01.ready.html

November 28, 2008
    Susan Etheridge for The New York Times

Katherine Mangu-Ward, one of many in Washington willing to rent their homes for the inauguration, has offered her one-bedroom apartment online for $1,000 a night.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Why doesn't anyone bring up the fact that Santorum, Cain and Huntsman "can't win"?

Quote Originally Posted by RPforthewin View Post
    The question is not whether Ron Paul can win - he clearly can. The question is whether the mainstream media reaches a larger conservative voting audience than the Internet media. Ron Paul is running, because he believes the mainstream media will be overcome and a new era in American discourse has begun.
    Considering that a large portion of the conservatives in the Republican party are baby boomers or older, I would say that yes, the TV is important. Which is why we need to get all the money to the campaign that we can, so they can advertise both with TV ads and direct mail. It is critical. Also, since we do not have the mainstream media playing fair, it is even more important that we get active on the ground, identifying voters in our areas, going door-to-door passing out literature and of course, finding out what it takes to be a delegate and doing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast