Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lube Repair Shops Still Hard At Work Ripping You Off

Lube Repair Shops Still Hard At Work Ripping You Off

Go in for an oil change and come out with a trashed engine? If you own a car, you may want to watch this video.

1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

They terminated a low level employee? Why would they target techs/managers/patsies when they should be targeting corporate? Talk about a shake down.

This is why people have to BUY LOCAL. Shop around and go to a trusted independent mechanic.
    Ron Paul let the cat out of the bag.

***Random Troll Analysis***Try Not to Engage With Trolls***
    itshappening: Incredibly naive with a hint of Alex Jonestown.
    compromise: Hilarious name states what it wants.
    AuH20: Self-righteous & insightful neocon. Smarter than you. Armed with a thesaurus.

***Honorable Mentions***
    Tpoints, Traditional Conservative, FreedomFanatic, TywinLannister, FreeHampshire, Giuliani was there on 911,
    RandRevolution

you know, i still think that $20 - $30 for an oil change and a new filter (and topping off the other crap) is a pretty good deal. but the upselling these places do must be were they earn their cash. unless i've just replaced my air-filter it's inevitable to have a lube-guy tell me it should be changed and that they can do it for about double what i could pick one up at a parts store

Scams and rip-offs are everywhere.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Scams and rip-offs are everywhere.
    Lawyers taking 40% of settlements always seemed like a scam.
    "Everyone who believes in freedom must work diligently for sound money, fully redeemable. Nothing else is compatible with the humanitarian goals of peace and prosperity." -- Ron Paul

Brother Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Travlyr View Post
    Lawyers taking 40% of settlements always seemed like a scam.
    "First thing we do..." - Dick the butcher
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I used to work in a lube shop that belonged to a honda dealership, and I saw the results of people taking their vehicles to these corporate/chain lube shops. Loose oil filters, extremely tight oil filters (I've heard of them being put on with impact guns), improperly torqued drain plugs (either loose and leaking, or so tight that the threads started to strip, rarely a crush gasket was used...

I'd never take my vehicle to Grease Monkey, Jiffy Lube, or any place the resembles them. If in doubt, take it to a dealership where, while mistakes happen, they're much less likely. Even better, find a trusted independent mechanic that'll do all your work.

Also, those solvents that people put in their oil are almost always harsh and bad. There are much more effective and infinitely more gentle ways to clean your engine. Additives such as Auto-Rx and LC20 are way better and will never harm your engine. The same goes with a lot of those fuel additives that will clean your injectors. Many are really harsh, so you want to find one that does it gently and slowly.
    Last edited by youngbuck; 08-05-2011 at 10:14 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This video is over 2 years old. Is this still going on?

I hired my own mechanic. I have a fleet of 7 vehicles and was spending $30,000 a year in just maintenance and repairs. I decided to put a mechanic on payroll. Now I spend about 1/2 that.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

Just had my oil changed and air filter replaced for free at Plaza Tire Service. They send me a free oil change certificate about once a month... not sure WHY they send me this coupon every month but it gets me free oil changes
    Please consider donating to the Mises Caucus today. We are TAKING OVER the LP.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

Your recurring donation is what helps us to set these ideas into motion.

Donate today at www.TakeHumanAction.com

People pay other people to change their oil?

What do you mean by "still"? Because the video is 2 years old.

The biggest scam going is that oil should be changed every 3K miles.............

Quote Originally Posted by getch36 View Post
    The biggest scam going is that oil should be changed every 3K miles.............
    Too true. People need to open up their owners manual and read what it says. Even my old 93 cavalier could go longer than 3000 miles. You only had to change it 3000 miles if you drove, on average, less than 1.5 miles, under 45, or were in extra sandy and dusty conditions like the southwest. Otherwise, it was 4000 miles. Hell, most cars made now have a computer that takes many factors into account and will tell you flat out when the oil needs changed.
    "Anarchists oppose the State because it has its very being in such aggression, namely, the expropriation of private property through taxation, the coercive exclusion of other providers of defense service from its territory, and all of the other depredations and coercions that are built upon these twin foci of invasions of individual rights." -Murray Rothbard

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    What do you mean by "still"? Because the video is 2 years old.
    I have been turning wrenches since I was 8 yrs old. Nothing has changed in the last 2 years.

from another thread,,
    Quote Originally Posted by sorianofan View Post

I sell auto repair, but I don't do so with my employees or my customers not in mind.
    This ^^,, Ladies and Gentlemen is why I refuse to call myself a Mechanic.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My car's manual says 7,500mi or 5,000mi if you're towing, stop and go driving, mountain regions, dusty areas, etc.

Engineering improvements to the modern internal combustion engine and oil chemistry advancements have obliterated that old 3k mikes/oil change scam.

I brought my car to a Firestone lube and they forgot to put oil back in. Blew the engine. My wife also brought her car in and they drained the transmission fluid and not the oil. Screwed the transmission.

$5000 - new engine
    $2300 - new transmission
    Is what they had to pay us.

Quote Originally Posted by youngbuck View Post
    I used to work in a lube shop that belonged to a honda dealership, and I saw the results of people taking their vehicles to these corporate/chain lube shops. Loose oil filters, extremely tight oil filters (I've heard of them being put on with impact guns), improperly torqued drain plugs (either loose and leaking, or so tight that the threads started to strip, rarely a crush gasket was used...

I'd never take my vehicle to Grease Monkey, Jiffy Lube, or any place the resembles them. If in doubt, take it to a dealership where, while mistakes happen, they're much less likely. Even better, find a trusted independent mechanic that'll do all your work.

Also, those solvents that people put in their oil are almost always best. There are much more effective and infinitely more gentle ways to clean your engine. Additives such as Auto-Rx and LC20 are way better and will never harm your engine. The same goes with a lot of those fuel additives that will clean your injectors. Many are really harsh, so you want to find one that does it gently and slowly.
    I've found an independent shop that I trust. It's a great thing. Their prices have been fair. While it may not always be a bargain .... the peace of mind of a trusted mechanic is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ghengis86 View Post
    People pay other people to change their oil?
    That^^^

Jiffy Lube? That was the nickname of a gal who worked in one of my old squadrons.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Yeah,most owners manuals will say to change the oil @ around 7.5k miles.In a recent article about the new AMG Mercedes cars, the magazine was doing A long term test drive.New this year is a super high tech sensor that actually analyses the oil and tells you when to change it.The change was recommended @ a little over 16K miles with Mobil 1 synthetic being used.

Whoa, whoa, WHOA!!! I own a repair shop and see a lot of misinformation here. I see a lot of cars, and because none of you guys are my customer this is not a sales pitch at all.

1. The 3,000 mile oil change is a myth [NOT REALLY]

Yes, Toyota requires every 5,000 miles on 2010 and before model years. A few still require 3,000 miles. Most severe maintenance schedules still require 3,000 miles for regular oil. Unless you do mostly highway driving, your driving realistically is a "severe" schedule.

Oil has been chemically tested where it significantly loses its lubricating qualities between 3700 to 5100 miles.

2. The factory maintenance is all I need to follow [THAT DEPENDS] New Toyotas claim their transmission fluid is "lifetime." The problem is that the fluid is the same and the transmission is the same. Why would they tell you to never flush the fluid? So, they can sell the car to you as lower maintenance.

3. Oil lasts 16,000 miles on some cars. [FALSE] I work on a lot of Mercedes and that oil comes out black and their filter looks destroyed after that long. It does not help that people are auto-ignorant and buy the wrong stuff. (I.E. Mercedes generally require a 229.5 specification oil, that may or may not be mobil 1. Not all mobil 1 is the same.)

4. Cars don't need as much maintenance these days. [100% TRUE] You can really abuse cars these days and they will last easily past their warranties. A severe maintenance schedule is the difference between an engine lasting 150,000 miles and 250,000 miles. I've seen BMW timing chain guide rails wear away and Honda motors break from improper lubrication. However, they will most likely run fine after 150,000 miles of abuse.

Maintaining transmission fluid is probably the smartest thing to do. A rebuild in NY is about $3,000. Tranny flushes every 25,000 miles or so will help your tranny last past 100,000 miles unless the thing was built defective. This is important, especially if you have a Honda.

So you have worked on the new AMG cars-I really doubt that.This information was in a recent Motortrend magazine-I don't think they lie.Synthetic oil can 15K no problem,If you doubt that go to Bob the oil guy.com this website explains everything you need to know about oil.As far as oil being "black" that means nothing-oil now has detergents so it almost instantly turns dark.As far as oil losing it's lubrication qualities that's not true ,it's the additives in oil that eventually stop working.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorianofan View Post
    Whoa, whoa, WHOA!!!
    ASE certified, right?
    Last edited by pcosmar; 08-05-2011 at 03:40 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I add a quart of Lucas every oil change.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by getch36 View Post
    So you have worked on the new AMG cars-I really doubt that.This information was in a recent Motortrend magazine-I don't think they lie.Synthetic oil can 15K no problem,If you doubt that go to Bob the oil guy.com this website explains everything you need to know about oil.As far as oil being "black" that means nothing-oil now has detergents so it almost instantly turns dark.As far as oil losing it's lubrication qualities that's not true ,it's the additives in oil that eventually stop working.
    that isn't true. the constant heating up and cooling down of the oil will eventually cause it to break down and lose viscosity over time. this is the biggest reason why you end up having to change your oil. big rigs that drive for extremely long periods of time without ever shutting off the motor and allowing the motor/oil to cool can drive for incredible stretches of time without needing oil changes.

i change my oil every 3000 miles (i only use regular, not synthetic) because its the cheapest insurance on keeping a motor in strong running condition. i could go longer, but its not worth saving a couple of bucks imo.

i've been doing all my own work on my cars since i've been 17-18 years old. i refuse to let someone else wrench on my car because they wont take their time like me, and wont check everything else out like I do when I work on my own car.

Finding a good and honest mechanic is very difficult. Most mechanics are employed by someone else, like Wal Mart or Jiffy Lube, and dont take any pride in their work. The ones that own their own businesses and do their own work I think are the ones that can take pride in being able to make a customers car run as well as their ability allows, and not just walk with a Grease Monkey Minimum Wage attitude. (I know they probably get paid a little more than that) I think private shops are where the Best Mechanics will be found.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    That^^^
    Right? That's like paying more for gas to have someone to stick the pump in your tank.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Finding a good and honest mechanic is very difficult. Most mechanics are employed by someone else, like Wal Mart or Jiffy Lube, and dont take any pride in their work. The ones that own their own businesses and do their own work I think are the ones that can take pride in being able to make a customers car run as well as their ability allows, and not just walk with a Grease Monkey Minimum Wage attitude. (I know they probably get paid a little more than that) I think private shops are where the Best Mechanics will be found.
    There are a half dozen owner operated shops it the local town, aside from the dealerships.
    There is not one of them qualified to put gas in a lawn mower.

I must have heard two dozen horror stories since I have been back here. Too many to post here. Three different people that my wife works with have ongoing law suits over auto "repairs".

I keep junk running. Have my whole life. I have a very low opinion of people that make money ripping people off, and that has been my experience for 40 years.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast