Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Please convince me of statism!

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    They have been countless. You just don't notice them because they disappear so fast.

A state fails when the leaders chew and gnaw at their own limits until they can finally grow too big for their britches. Statelss societies fail as soon as the people get sick of working at cross purposes and get themselves some leadership. A process that doesn't take long, and leadership which is generally too big for its britches right out of the box.
    No, there haven't been "countless". Countless stateless societies, yes. But countless voluntary societies, no. (never in history, in fact)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    No, there haven't been "countless". Countless stateless societies, yes. But countless voluntary societies, no. (never in history, in fact)
    Surely there's an old hippie commune experimenter on here who can educate this child. Help me out here...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How do you know? There hasn't been one yet. Stateless, yes-but voluntary as well, no. Historically, Stateless societies have been disorderly and "governed" by warlords and such.

As an aside, note also as an aside that Mises said in his book "Liberalism" that classical liberalism has never successfully been established. Were you to achieve a truly "liberal" (in the classical sense) society, it would be a first in world history.
    I don't follow what you are saying here. Explain please. Weren't the warlords in fact "rulers?"

Ron Paul - "We had a relative voluntary society in our early history."

To hold out for a perfect voluntary society is futile. A relative voluntary society is my goal.
    "Everyone who believes in freedom must work diligently for sound money, fully redeemable. Nothing else is compatible with the humanitarian goals of peace and prosperity." -- Ron Paul

Brother Jonathan

Surely there's an old hippie commune experimenter on here who can educate this child. Help me out here...
    Not a substitute for an argument. Name a Voluntaryist society in history. There hasn't even been a true classical liberal society.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Travlyr View Post
    I don't follow what you are saying here. Explain please. Weren't the warlords in fact "rulers?"
    They were bullies, but they didn't "lead" anyone. They issued orders.

To hold out for a perfect voluntary society is futile. A relative voluntary society is my goal.
    No, to hold out for a successful minarchist society is futile. Remember, there was a time when it was considered a fantasy that leaders would be elected at all or that blacks would be considered human on par with whites. Humanity eventually outgrew it (in the West, at least). We'll also outgrow our current state of affairs, simply because it isn't sustainable if for no other reason.

If a bunch of hippies aren't living together voluntarily, what's making them stay? Talk about no substitute for an argument...

They were bullies, but they didn't "lead" anyone. They issued orders.
    These semantics are no substitute for an argument, either.

Oh, and what was so slanderous about the post above to warrant a meaningless negrep? The fact that I referred to your youth?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 07-29-2011 at 02:51 PM.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

If a bunch of hippies aren't living together voluntarily, what's making them stay? Talk about no substitute for an argument...

These semantics are no substitute for an argument, either.

Oh, and what was so slanderous about the post above to warrant a meaningless negrep? The fact that I referred to your youth?
    Yes-you called me a "child". Generally, this is considered an insult when referring to a 30-year old person (especially in the condescending way you used it). Insults are against forum rules and generally poor discourse.

I wasn't using semantics as a substitute for an argument. You tried to argue that there have been "countless" voluntary societies, which isn't true. Voluntary association binds people all the time. Contracts, purchases, loans, tickets to events, etc, etc. Your "hippie commune" example was unrelated (unless these hippies have a some sort of binding agreement, which is not typical of hippie communes).
    What binds states? All the legalese and mumbo-jumbo (such as "social contract") espoused by Federalists and their sympathizers have not stopped the usurpation of power and transfer of wealth by the regime.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 07-29-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Statism is Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Conza88 View Post
    I am intellectually honest and open to reason. If you would like to fix my unrealistic political philosophy, I eagerly await your enlightenment! I'm so sick and tired of being wrong.

Just a few things first; below are a few quotes that represent a nice summation of my anti-statist political philosophy. To cure me of my ills, you will need to adequately address the following.

Please help me!

What are your arguments for the state as defined above?
    It's a good thing I'm not a statist.
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

No, to hold out for a successful minarchist society is futile. Remember, there was a time when it was considered a fantasy that leaders would be elected at all or that blacks would be considered human on par with whites. Humanity eventually outgrew it (in the West, at least). We'll also outgrow our current state of affairs, simply because it isn't sustainable if for no other reason.
    We live in an imperfect world. To expect perfection in an imperfect world is futile. To work toward perfection is purposeful.
    "Everyone who believes in freedom must work diligently for sound money, fully redeemable. Nothing else is compatible with the humanitarian goals of peace and prosperity." -- Ron Paul

Brother Jonathan

We live in an imperfect world. To expect perfection in an imperfect world is futile. To work toward perfection is purposeful.
    Quite right. One wonders why you're aiming short of perfection.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    Quite right. One wonders why you're aiming short of perfection.

What is wrong with a relative voluntary society?

Brother Jonathan

What is wrong with a relative voluntary society?
    The only thing wrong with it is that we could do better.

If our ancestors did enjoy a relative voluntary society, then why reject returning to those principles?

Brother Jonathan

If our ancestors did enjoy a relative voluntary society, then why reject returning to those principles?
    We have to go back quite a ways before the constitution to find a voluntary society. (even a number of the ranks of the colonial and revolutionary war army were drafted) If he means that by that quote, I agree with him.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 07-29-2011 at 06:42 PM.

We have to go back quite a ways before the constitution to find a voluntary society. If he means that by that quote, I agree with him.
    I think he did, but I'm not sure about that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF1PM...layer_embedded

What is your opinion?

Brother Jonathan

We have to go back quite a ways before the constitution to find a voluntary society. (even a number of the ranks of the colonial and revolutionary war army were drafted) If he means that by that quote, I agree with him.
    What was so coercive about the signing of the Constitution? Last I heard, it was voluntarily adopted by the nation when the Articles proved a bit too loose to be wieldy.

For that matter, what was coercive about the Articles of Confederation?

What was so coercive about the signing of the Constitution? Last I heard, it was voluntarily adopted by the nation when the Articles proved a bit too loose to be wieldy.
    Actually the Constitution was not voluntarily adopted by "the nation". It was foisted upon the people. Madison and the Federalists closed the doors of their meeting to both the people and the press. They explicitly violated their duty assigned by the state legislatures-to amend the articles of confederation.

No member of the Convention ever revealed what went on behind those closed doors. This included the opponents of the Constitution. Luther Martin of Maryland, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, opposed the Convention's plan within days of his participation. He kept notes of the debates, but his notes were not published until 1838, two years after Madison's death — the last member of the Convention to die.(1)

For that matter, what was coercive about the Articles of Confederation?
    I didn't get into the AoC previously, so I don't see why you're bringing it up. (I'll add more to this point later...gtg for now)

I didn't get into the AoC previously, so I don't see why you're bringing it up. (I'll add more to this point later...gtg for now)
    Well, you were talking about before the Revolution, right? Not that I entirely agree about the Constitution--these people were elected, or at least selected, to represent the folks in the Several States after all...

So, if you have to predate the revolution to find a voluntary society on this continent, what was so involuntary about the Articles?

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, you were talking about before the Revolution, right? Not that I entirely agree about the Constitution--these people were elected, or at least selected, to represent the folks in the Several States after all...
    "Background to the Constitution" by Robert LeFevre, starting at 7:30 of note:
    Last edited by robert68; 07-30-2011 at 10:46 AM.

So, if you have to predate the revolution to find a voluntary society on this continent, what was so involuntary about the Articles?
    The primary problem is that there isn't an article allowing for individual nullification of laws. It also forbids private minting of money. I only have a few nitpicks like that with the AoC, and those could be fixed with amendments.

Brian Miller, recently ousted Pima CO. GOP chair, summed up his philosophy thusly, which is the same as mine:

"Progressively less government, until there is none".

The massive structure of the state was not erected overnight, it will not go away overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Brian Miller, recently ousted Pima CO. GOP chair, summed up his philosophy thusly, which is the same as mine:

The massive structure of the state was not erected overnight, it will not go away overnight.
    WHOAAAAA, WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA.... WHOA.

AF. What's this I see. Are you a gradualist anarchist?

When did you finally decide to jump on the anarchist boat? This is basically the same exact method I support (though will say I want it as fast as possible, I realistically understand it will not be an overnight process). Minarchism on the road to anarchism - controlled demolition, preferably.
    "If men are good, then they need no rulers. If men are bad, then governments of men, composed of men, will also be bad - and probably worse, due to the State's amplification of coercive power." - Ozarkia

"Big Brother is watching. So are we." - WikiLeaks

Laissez-nous faire, laissez-nous passer. Le monde va de lui meme.

Smooth move. No wonder he was ousted. Now, because of his big mouth, he has lost the chance he did have to help Ron Paul get elected.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Smooth move. No wonder he was ousted. Now, because of his big mouth, he has lost the chance he did have to help Ron Paul get elected.
    He was not ousted for that comment.

He was ousted because he dared to open his mouth about that SWAT raid that killed the Marine in a botched drug raid and then they let him bleed out and die for an hour before allowing medics into the home.

http://www.kvoa.com/news/pima-county...airman-ousted/

That's where I've been all along.

It may take centuries to achieve worldwide though.

Which is why I still favor the concept of a nation and trade policies that work to maximize our efforts at limiting government and eventually eliminating it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentient Void View Post
    WHOAAAAA, WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA.... WHOA.

AF. What's this I see. Are you a gradualist anarchist?

When did you finally decide to jump on the anarchist boat? This is basically the same exact method I support (though will say I want it as fast as possible, I realistically understand it will not be an overnight process). Minarchism on the road to anarchism - controlled demolition, preferably.

He was not ousted for that comment.

He was ousted because he dared to open his mouth about that SWAT raid that killed the Marine in a botched drug raid and then they let him bleed out and die for an hour before allowing medics into the home.

http://www.kvoa.com/news/pima-county...airman-ousted/
    I don't care. It still wasn't wise. We all know they will do just about anything to keep Ron Paul from the Whitehouse and will jump at any chance to get us out of positions of power within the Republican party. We have to be smarter than this and keep our eye on the prize.
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 07-30-2011 at 10:03 PM.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    I don't care. It still wasn't wise. We all know they will do just about anything to keep Ron Paul from the Whitehouse and will jump at any chance to get us out of positions of power within the Republican party. We have to be smarter than this and keep our eye on the prize.
    Sadly, you are absolutely correct, which is why most people in politics have the integrity and honesty of used car salesmen.

Terrible thing to say about used car salesmen, that.

I know one thing for sure - I respect Mr. Miller both for his view of government, and also for his stance on the awful murder of Jose Guerena.

I know one thing for sure - I respect Mr. Miller both for his view of government, and also for his stance on the awful murder of Jose Guerena.
    As do I.

But the unfortunate fact of the matter is that, for a few rare exceptions, politics requires the greasy smile, the talking out of both sides of your mouth, two bit hustling of a petty pimp to be successful at it.

I would have respected him a lot more if he would have kept his mouth shut about it and helped to get Ron Paul elected. Because then, we would be on a path to make sure that we didn't have a repeat of what happened to Guerena.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast