33 24.81%
  • Linux

26 19.55%
  • Something Else

1 0.75%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Topic Split: Windows, Mac or Linux

PCLinuxOS.
    Been running this distro since 2005 (tried several 2003-2005)
    current kernel 2.6 38.8-pclos1.bfs
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by afwjam View Post
    What I am getting from this thread is a couple things.
    Macs are better designed, and the hardware is the same as the PC's (except for almost everything that you touch, use, or look at.) but most of these guys either cant or do not want to pay for it.

Got it. Free Market, I will keep buying macbooks.
    Enjoy your PC.

Name one way your PC laptop is superior to my Macbook Pro?
    Yup, free market.

One way the PC is superior to the Mac is in sales in the free market. The free market has determined that Macs don't compete very well. Since the mid-late '80s, anyway, which was the last time Mac's dominated (and was also the last time I owned a Mac). In that free market, PC's outsell Macs by a huge margin.

I'll continue to use $500-$800 PCs that do the job I need them to do, rather than the vastly more expensive Macs (and before you tell me how pretty or "cool" the mac is, I don't care- I'm buying a tool, not making a fashion statement) and I'll invest the difference.

It's worked very well for me so far.

So you keep paying a ton of money for "cool," and I'll save my money and and buy a much cheaper PC that does the job just fine.

I'd rather have the money.

Quote Originally Posted by libertarian4321 View Post
    Yup, free market.
    <snip baiting>
    I'd rather have the money.
    Me too. Ergo, for production sake I will stick with the best toolset for the jobs I do. I do archviz, compositing, SFX, character, procedural and mechanical animation, engineering drawings, product previz, iOS, PC, Mac, Android and web game and app development, commercial production and music composition and scoring. The Mac is an excellent and hard to beat platform with top rated toolsets for this cross section of visualisation and coding arts.

Best Regards
    Rev9
    Drain the swamp - BIG DOG
    http://mindreleaselabs.com/
    Seeking work on Apps, Games, Art based projects

Ever feel like the drum you are pounding is getting smaller and smaller?
    More and more people everyday are choosing with there own money to buy an Apple product. Apple is winning, the rest of the industry is loosing. Good luck fighting the truth.
    It's "losing," not "loosing"- I've never understood why people make that mistake so often.
    Back to the subject at hand:

Apple is still a small player in computers- they sell a ton of iPods and music, but Mac sales are still less than 5% of the market. That's better than the 2-3% they had sunk to around the turn of the century, but still not even close to the big players- and still a mere fraction of Apple's market share back in the day when it was the industry leader.

Don't be too cocky about Apple, btw. Apple once was the dominant player in the market, and came crashing down badly when Steve Jobs left the company.

And after suffering pancreatic cancer, hormone imbalances, a liver transplant, and a taking a medical leave of absence in recent years, Steve Jobs isn't the healthiest guy in the world...

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Or I could save THOUSANDS of dollars and buy alternatives to these items that out-perform the Apple version..
    You could. I couldn't. I do different things than you and work daily different than you. Linux does not have the requisite toolsets for me to continue making money with. It would be like trying to work in an auto mechanics shop with carpenters tools. So, your speed and savings mean nothing to me. I have a computer that instantly, to my human senses, does what i ask of it, does not give me any hassles and produces art that I get paid well for. Any argument to me to the contrary as to me losing money or having a $#@! piece of kit is sheer unadulterated balderdash and is myopic in its scope.

And..BTW..your assertion above is patently false via misdirection and utter vagueness of parameters making it sound like sloganeering.

HTH
    Rev9

Quote Originally Posted by Revolution9 View Post
    Me too. Ergo, for production sake I will stick with the best toolset for the jobs I do. I do archviz, compositing, SFX, character, procedural and mechanical animation, engineering drawings, product previz, iOS, PC, Mac, Android and web game and app development, commercial production and music composition and scoring. The Mac is an excellent and hard to beat platform with top rated toolsets for this cross section of visualisation and coding arts.

Best Regards
    Rev9
    It is NOT wise to buy more tool than you need. For some people, they may "need" a Mac. But most people don't. Ergo, for most people, it's a waste of money to buy a Mac.

I choose not to waste my money. I buy the lowest cost computer that will reliably do what I need it to do, and that means I don't buy Macs.

Cut the starting price for a Mac in half and we can start to have a discussion. Otherwise, I won't even consider a Mac.

Buy a instead of a Mac, send the savings to www.ronpaul2012.com

I figured someone should get this topic sort of back on Ron Paul!

It's "losing," not "loosing"- I've never understood why people make that mistake so often.

Apple is still a small player in computers- they sell a ton of iPods and music, but Mac sales are still less than 5% of the market. That's better than the 2-3% they had sunk to around the turn of the century, but still not even close to the big players- and still a mere fraction of Apple's market share back in the day when it was the industry leader.

Don't be too cocky about Apple, btw. Apple once was the dominant player in the market, and came crashing down badly when Steve Jobs left the company.

And after suffering pancreatic cancer, hormone imbalances, a liver transplant, and a taking a medical leave of absence in recent years, Steve Jobs isn't the healthiest guy in the world...
    10.5% and that is not counting the iPad.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Hoooboy..You want to start discussing the steriliser vaccine pushing, seed vault stuffing, genocide promoting, intel back pocket stoolie son of a mother responsible for the wartime efficiency of Adolf Hitler and his band of merrymakers through her membership of the board of IBM just to give a minor taste of this borg minded ego nerd's psychological, genealogical and "charitable" background.

On lose and losers.. Yeah..pisses me off too. Wonder whether it is the Mac, PC or Linux crowd who do it the most. It seems like one person in 1995 misspelled it and it snowballed from there. Rouge versus rogue is another one pissing me off. A rouge terrorist group is a bunch of mimes with blush and imaginary bombs that explode without noise. Effin' losers.

Best
    Rev9

It is NOT wise to buy more tool than you need. For some people, they may "need" a Mac. But most people don't. Ergo, for most people, it's a waste of money to buy a Mac.

I choose not to waste my money. I buy the lowest cost computer that will reliably do what I need it to do, and that means I don't buy Macs.

Cut the starting price for a Mac in half and we can start to have a discussion. Otherwise, I won't even consider a Mac.
    That is fine. You won''t start clogging my marketplace with shovelware and filling up email boxes of job offers with talentless drivel and mom's fridge magnet level of artwork.. Not that that is what you do...but what i have to contend with.

Best
    Rev9
    Last edited by Revolution9; 07-28-2011 at 04:13 PM.

10.5% and that is not counting the iPad.
    In the USA, not worldwide, where their market share is much smaller.

Although with all those new bogus Apple stores in China, that might change soon.

In the USA, not worldwide, where their market share is much smaller.

Although with all those new bogus Apple stores in China, that might change soon.
    Explain why they are bogus or look like you just like flinging baseless invective around just for the sheer troll of it.

BTW, Apple is a powerhouse of the US economy. Its earnings surpass Microsoft. Its impact is worldwide and is considered a leader in the field. This is due to quality and innovation. Like Ron Paul they stayed standing whilst everybody was swinging at them counting them out. In the end they won the idea war.

Rev9

Explain why they are bogus or look like you just like flinging baseless invective around just for the sheer troll of it.
    I guess I should have explained that.

There was a news story earlier this week that the authorities had busted a couple of fake "Apple Stores" in China.

This article has the story and a picture of the store, which looks pretty close to a real store:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/usa/bus...t_13001232.htm
    Last edited by libertarian4321; 07-28-2011 at 04:37 PM.

wrong processor
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819117231

That case, PSU, and MB are nowhere near server grade.
    And you forgot the cost of windows server edition or whatever it is.
    I assume your company will take responsibility for any hardware failures as well.
    Try posting a link to a company who sells and supports a comparable computer.
    Dude, he just quadrupled your RAM, gave you a much better video card and doubled your hard drive space... and it was STILL HALF THE FREAKING COST. I can't believe you don't get it yet.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Best Regards
    Rev9
    You have hundreds of dollars invested in specialized Mac software and considering you make a lot more money with your computer than you spend on it, getting a Mac isn't a big issue.

Where it doesn't make as much sense is when they aren't using their computer in the media industry and someone can spend less than half the money for the same specs, or about 60% and get a higher performance machine.
    Last edited by dannno; 07-29-2011 at 04:45 PM.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by EonBlue View Post
    Free computer from my wife she bought over 10 years ago, still running strong:
    Ya my roommate has a Mac laptop, i think it's probably about 2 or 3 years old.. his battery just stopped charging in the last couple days and his wifi intermittently gets really slow.

Macs aren't perfect and trouble free like many claim. I've had plenty of PCs that had no issues at all.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm a Windows Systems engineer. Bought a Mac about a year and a half ago and will never go back to Windows. Mac with Parallels is all I need. By the way. I've never had anti-virus from day 1 and not 1 infection. Try that with Windows. Yes...you can buy way more hardware for way less for Windows, but Mac laptops have insane build quality. I through mine around, take it in the car, walk around with it everywhere, never use a case and it still looks fairly new.
    Last edited by mconder; 07-29-2011 at 03:46 PM.
    "The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists." - J. Edgar Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by mconder View Post
    I'm a Windows Systems engineer. Bought a Mac about a year and a half ago and will never go back to Windows. Mac with Parallels is all I need. By the way. I've never had anti-virus from day 1 and not 1 infection. Try that with Windows. Yes...you can buy way more hardware for way less for Windows, but Mac laptops have insane build quality. I through mine around, take it in the car, walk around with it everywhere, never use a case and it still looks fairly new.
    Haven't used anti-virus in 10 years on a PC and no issues. Guess not being a moron helps.

I use W7 but only because that's best for games. I picked Linux in the poll because it's open source.

Quote Originally Posted by mconder View Post
    Instead of spending double the amount just to get a slighly smaller and possibly sturdier machine, you could have installed Ubuntu. It's not like other laptops are insanely heavy or prone to damage, it just seems like a lot to spend on something that is mostly cosmetic/immaterial.

I admit Mac is way better for personal computing now-a-days than it used to be, it just seems to be unnecessarily expensive in most cases.
    Last edited by dannno; 07-29-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Instead of spending double the amount just to get a slighly smaller and possibly sturdier machine, you could have installed Ubuntu. It's not like other laptops are insanely heavy or prone to damage, it just seems like a lot to spend on something that is mostly cosmetic/immaterial.

I admit Mac is way better for personal computing now-a-days than it used to be, it just seems to be unnecessarily expensive in most cases.
    since Mac is intel now, and they use the same hardware as the pc- there should be no difference in price. unless the OS makes it more expensive.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by robmpreston View Post
    Haven't used anti-virus in 10 years on a PC and no issues. Guess not being a moron helps.
    You are just a snot nosed, venom spewing WoW player. You have no opinion worth holding. As for proof you are not a moron. It would be very hard to come by judging by the droolings and spew you have added to this thread.

HTH
    Rev9

Ubuntu 11.10 most of the time and Windows 7 when I have to.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Running Windows 7 currently, but have been meaning to get back into Linux lately (probably Ubuntu, but maybe Linux Mint).

My husband Hackintosh'd my PC, so I could use garageband and imovie. It's been the best thing over. I use my Mac for music recording/video making/editing and my PC for gaming and internet browsing. I haven't had any serious issues so far.
    Go check out my vocal covers on Youtube. Thanks!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVdQYPR6lEo

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789