We could easily have prevented the September 11 terrorist attacks, if we had done the following :
(1) Not got involved with the "Muhjahadeen" to oust the Soviet Union from Afghanistan....
..Osama Bin Laden's life was transformed by the experience he had in Afghanistan.
You could say his ideas of jihad were "born again" in Afghanistan and the aid the US government gave the Muhjahadeen went a long way to helping this "born again" experience.
Osama Bin Laden himself stated that the ousting of the Soviet Union was the will of Allah (he did not mention that without the help of the US government, he would not have been able to oust the Soviet Union from Afghanistan)
and this so called "Will of Allah " experience against the Soviet Union encouraged him immensely and gave him the courage to later go after the US
but if Bin Laden was defeated in Afghanistan against the Soviets ( which was very possible if the US government did not help ) then Bin Laden might have concluded that it was not Allah's will to go after super powers,
or Bin Laden might to this day still be too busy fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan and not be able to use Afghanistan as a training base for attacks on the US or Kashmir
(2) Not got involved in ousting Saddam Hussein from Kuwait, restoring the cruel dictatorship in Kuwait and protecting the cruel dictatorship in Saudi Arabia who live hedonistic lifestyles.
Saddam Hussein was anti-religious and ready to sell oil to the West.
In fact during the oil embargo of the seventies, when Arab nations restricted the sale of oil, Saddam Hussein went against the embargo and sold oil to the west.
According to the Duelfer Report, Saddam (in the late nineties) through his officials told Charles Duelfer (special adviser to the CIA) that he wanted to start a dialogue with the US and wanted to be America's best friend in the Middle East.
If Saddam Hussein were to have taken over the middle east (which is next to impossible), he would have eradicated fundamentalist Islam that breeds terrorism, checked the regional aspirations of Iran and sold cheap oil to the US.
President Reagan told Saddam Hussein to stop supporting Palestinian groups in the early eighties and then President Reagan removed Iraq from the list of state sponsors of terrorism.........this is another of several examples that Saddam wanted to be our ally.
The CIA knew about the consequences of the Iraq war and the subsequent sectarian violence :
and yet the US government invaded Iraq even though during the 80s when Saddam Hussein was at his worst and actually using WMD, there was not one CIA report stating that Saddam Hussein was a threat to the US.
(3) Not sanctioned Iraq.... ..Osama Bin Laden points to UN reports, that the US government sanctions on Iraq was the cause of half a million Iraqi children dying prematurely.
(4) not sold weapons to Israel... ...Osama Bin Laden points to the fact that US government made weapons were used by the Israeli govt. to kill Palestinian men, women and children through collateral damage .
(5) reinforced pilot doors and had air marshals on every flight, like Israel did long time ago.
(6) Not setting up bases in Saudi Arabia. IF THE US GOVT. HAD NOT GOT INVOLVED IN THE GULF WAR, THE US GOVT. WOULD NOT HAVE HAD TROOPS IN SAUDI ARABIA..
The presence of US government troops was the "straw that broke the camel's back".
What did Osama Bin Laden see in the presence of US government troops in Saudi Arabia ?
The only way to see what Osama Bin Laden saw is to go back in time to read and see what Osama read and saw.
What motivated Osama Bin Laden to declare "war" on the US government ?
Please note : I do not agree with Osama Bin Laden and Osama should have followed the teachings of Christ in not retaliating against any kind of provocation, just as the US government should have dealt with the attacks on 9/11/01 by treating it as a criminal act instead of launching a war that killed tens of thousands of civilians all with the purpose of supporting the profit agenda of the corporate welfare system of the military/industrial complex by launching the extremely costly "terror of war" because of 9/11.
Some of the conclusions reached from reading Osama Bin Laden's fatwas and from the first-ever television interview with Osama Bin Ladin which was conducted by Peter Arnett in eastern Afghanistan in late March 1997 :
(1) Osama Bin Laden read about the US govt. fire and atom bombing Japan in 1945 when Japan was already defeated as early as July of 1944 when Tojo resigned and Japan was negotiating concessions to the communists but FDR did not care about communists either killing tens of millions of civilians or that the crushing of Japan enabled communism to expand in Asia resulting in hundreds of thousands of US soldiers either dying horrifying deaths or being maimed, disfigured, deformed, blinded or paralyzed for life during the cold war.
(2) Osama Bin Laden read about US/Allied POWs in Japan and hundreds of thousands of Japanese children being terrorized, tortured and burned alive in the US government's fire and atom bombings of Japan and must have concluded that if FDR/Truman did not care about the plight of their own US soldiers captive in Japan who were being killed by the US government's atom and fire bombings of Japan and since FDR/Truman did not care about the lives of hundreds of thousands of Japanese children and babies, why should Osama bin Laden care about lives when strategic goals were more important
( this is how both state and non-state terrorists think and I do not agree with the way they think ).
(3) Osama Bin Laden read about the US government in the 50s overthrowing a democratically elected Mossadegh of Iran and eventually the Shah terrorized his own people in Iran, thanks to the military support given by the US government
(4) He read about the US government in the 60s, arming the Israeli government that used those very US weapons to collaterally kill Palestinian children and babies
(5) He saw the US government in the 70s using napalm, agent orange and carpet bombing Vietnam and Cambodia, collaterally killing hundreds of thousands or even millions of civilians
(6) He saw the US government in the 70s supporting cruel, murderous dictators like the Shah of Iran who used US government weapons to cruelly suppress and torture the Iranian people
(7) He saw the US government in the 80s siding with the "christian" militias in Lebanon, the very christian militias that massacred Muslims
Another example Osama Bin Laden gives is the UN, Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International reports in 1996 that blamed the Israeli government using US government weapons to deliberately or carelessly kill women and children in the UN compound near Qana, a village in Southern Lebanon
(8) He saw the US government in the 80s supporting cruel dictators like Saddam Hussein
(9) He saw the US government in the 90s imposing cruel sanctions on Iraq resulting in UN reports stating that half a million Iraqi children died prematurely due to the sanctions
(10) He saw that the cruel Saudi dictatorship was being supported by the US government , the very dictatorship that tortured dissidents who opposed the stationing of US troops in Saudi Arabia
(11) He saw that the US government never left any country in which it had troops in ( example; US troops still present in Germany and Japan, even after the war had ended decades ago)
(12) He saw that warnings to the US government to withdraw its troops from Saudi Arabia were ignored
(13) He saw that the only way to get US troops out of Saudi Arabia was to launch a terror campaign
(14) He saw that his terror campaign against the US had failed and US troops still remained, in Saudi Arabia, 9 years after the gulf war had ended
(15) He saw that the only way to get the US government to withdraw its troops from Saudi Arabia was to launch an attack on the US homeland on 9/11/01
(16) He saw that the US government finally gave into his demands to withdraw troops, only after the 9/11 attacks, and US troops finally left Saudi Arabia in 2003, almost 13 years after the gulf war had ended
Placing US government troops in Saudi Arabia deeply affected Osama Bin Laden and the Saudi religious leadership because of the historical record of the US govt. in its dealings in the middle east and elsewhere.
An analogous way of looking at it would be the US government's involvement in Korea, Vietnam and Afghanistan because the Soviets had their "presence" in those countries and the US govt. was "afraid" communism would spread if the Soviets were allowed to have their presence in Vietnam, Korea and Afghanistan
and thinking along the same lines, Al-Qaeda does not want the US government's military presence in any Muslim country, especially "holy" Saudi Arabia because Osama was afraid the US govt would continue supporting the cruel Saudi dictatorship's crack down on dissidents.
So just as the US government was trying to prevent communism from spreading by being militarily involved in Korea, Vietnam and Afghanistan; Al-Qaeda wants to get "militarily" involved in preventing the US government's support of cruel dictators in the middle east.
THIS IS THE MAIN MOTIVATION FOR THE SEPTEMBER 11 ATTACKS : US GOVERNMENT'S MILITARY PRESENCE IN SAUDI ARABIA
and the subsequent imprisonment and torture of Saudi dissidents by the cruel Saudi dictatorship that provoked Osama Bin Laden to act.