Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time Magazine Articles

Thumbs up Time Magazine Articles

"Libertarians Rising."

No, that's not the title of a new libertarian outreach pamphlet.

It's an essay in the October 18 issue of TIME magazine -- written by no less
    than Michael Kinsley, one of America's most respected and astute political
    commentators.

Now Kinsley is no libertarian. He's a liberal. And that makes his essay all the
    more significant.

Kinsley argues that two strong impulses are emerging in American politics:
    libertarianism and communitarianism. Communitarians, Kinsley explains, "believe
    that group responsibilities (to family, community, nation, the globe) should
    trump individual rights."

He contrasts that to libertarianism, which stresses individual rights.

Which philosophy -- libertarianism or communitarianism -- will ultimately win
    America's political debate?

"My money's on the libertarians," says the liberal Kinsley.

"People were shocked a couple of weeks ago when Ron Paul ... raised $5 million
    from July through September, mostly on the Internet. Paul is a libertarian. In
    fact, he was the Libertarian Party presidential candidate in 1988. The computer
    revolution has bred a generation of smart loners, many of them rich and some of
    them complacently Darwinian, convinced that they don't need society -- nor
    should anyone else. They are going to be an increasingly powerful force in
    politics."

Kinsley's article rehashes some silly and tired old falsehoods about
    libertarians, like that one -- the notion that libertarians are "Darwinists" or
    "loners... convinced that they don't need society" and so on.

But never mind that. Libertarians have ready answers to these fallacies -- and
    no doubt Kinsley is already getting a fast education.

What's important is that this article, by one of America's leading political
    writers, in one of America's most widely read news magazines, is yet another
    striking example of how libertarian ideas are rapidly winning converts, being
    taken seriously, and becoming a MAJOR part of the American political debate.
    And that's great news indeed!

Oh, one more *delicious* irony.

You'll love this.

Kinsley crankily says libertarians are "earnest and impractical -- eager to
    corner you with their plan for ... solving the traffic mess by privatizing
    stoplights."

Well, in that very same issue of TIME, there's an excellent article entitled
    "Who Really Owns the Roads?" And it's about -- yes -- the growing trend towards
    privatizing highways.

And the article quotes "Bob Poole, director of transportation studies at the
    Reason Foundation, a think tank."

Reason might be more precisely described as a *libertarian* think tank. And Bob
    Poole has been a libertarian leader since the 1960s.

"Libertarians Rising" indeed!

http://theadvocates.org/liberator/vol-12-num-20.html
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Excellent rebuttal to that pompous article in that fish-rag TIME. What a weasel that Michael Kinsley is...such insinuating, surly remarks. Jerk. Glad someone intelligently dismembered that sniveling POS article.

Have any of the Time RP articles ended up in the print editions?

What is this communitarianism foolishness? Is that a real movement? It sounds like somebody trying to re-brand communism.

wow! what are the odds this is the cover story?
    -The first thing I hope the Ron Paul administration does is announce Fox News' exclusion from the White House press corps.

-To see one of the best reasons to vote for Ron Paul, click here:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=29848

These threads got united, but I'm pretty sure they're about different articles.
    -The first thing I hope the Ron Paul administration does is announce Fox News' exclusion from the White House press corps.

-To see one of the best reasons to vote for Ron Paul, click here:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=29848

Nice article, but I see they quoted wonderboy, Frank Luntz. Too bad Time doesn't know that since the Florida debate, Frank's whitey-tighties are showing.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

LOL@ this:
    Tuesday, both Paul and Tom Cruise were guests on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. The actor went to Paul's dressing room to thank him for his work on a bill fighting the forced mental screening of grade-school kids. "Go. Go. Go. Go hard," Cruise said. Paul turned to an aide and asked, "What movies has he been in?"
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free." -Göthe
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
    "Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure." - Robert LeFevre

They quoted Frank Luntz?

I guess they still haven't seen this video.
    Ron Paul has nothing new to say. He's feeding us the same line we got from Washington, Jefferson, Goldwater, and Reagan. Limited government, peace through strength, following the Constitution... Is that really what America needs right now?

My blog: KyleBrotherton.com

Quote Originally Posted by kylebrotherton View Post
    They quoted Frank Luntz?

I guess they still haven't seen this video.
    FU, Frank!

The article really tries to push the envelope of Paul as being "abnormal" when the ACTUAL truth is that NORMAL=LIAR & CROOK.

The MSM will not give "credit where credit is due".

Frank Lutz is a piece of sh*t....he deperately needs to be flushed into the sewer with his "handlers".

Luntz states,
    His supporters are the equivalent of crabgrass," says GOP consultant Frank Luntz. "It's not the grass you want, and it spreads faster than the real stuff. They just like him because he's the most anti-Establishment of all the candidates, the most likely to look at the camera during the debates and say, 'Hey, Washington, f____ you.
    '

TIME MAGAZINE and DUMBSH*T LUNTZ: D.C. has become HI-JACKED by VERMIN (you know the guys you stroke off for your INCOME) Did it ever occur to you that the people ("nerds" by your estimation) want LIBERTY????

Why don't they tell us all the "virtues" of the "ESTABLISHMENT"???

LUNTZ doesn't realize that PAUL and MY SUPPORT ARE NOT ABOUT "protest".....its about REAL IDEAS which have BEEN "hi-jacked"....

PAUL STANDS FOR SOMETHING(s)....NOT against anything and everything.....

This is WHAT DUNTZ and TIME Are soooo afraid of.....
    "Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God."--Thomas Jefferson

I like how the author tried to paint people who dress in colonial outfits at Ron Paul rallies as "weird," or people suspicious of Halliburton and Blackwater the same way or people who want to say, "F you" to Washington as fringe.

I think most people reading this would think all those things are right on!

$#@! you, Frank!
    Last edited by Zydeco; 11-01-2007 at 02:15 AM. Reason: typo

"Paul doesn't expect that he will win the nomination, and he has no interest in running as an independent again."

The first part blatantly false. He specifically said on Leno last night that he could win, and Leno didn't even disagree. Plus, he has ALWAYS said he is in it to win! I have never EVER heard him say that he doesn't expect to win the nomination!

Wonder what the "connection" is between LUNTZ and Time???

This is of course the LUNTZ that has been hired by Ghouliani's campaign.

And how in the hell does Luntz even comment on PAUL when his "focus groups" don't exactly show anyone that there is ANY CRABGRASS in the lawn.

Watching rome burn will be such a lucid moment.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I must have missed the bad article your talking about cuz the one on front page at:
    http://www.time.com/time
    is great.

eb
    Been a long time....

Quote Originally Posted by Razmear View Post
    I must have missed the bad article your talking about cuz the one on front page at:
    is great.

eb

Page 2 of the article.

GREAT????

I am not a nerd.

Paul believes he has a chance to win.

Paul is not a "protest" candidate.

i find it so interesting that "smear" stories like this are found to be POSITIVE by paul supporters...

Tell me what about this story follows the line that your average Republican Grandma and Grandpa would read this and find PAUL as one of their own???

A constitution champion, best friend of the Taxpayer, pro gun rights, etc. and etc.

is not some kind of "nerd".....that is THE HEART AND SOUL of true Conservatism.....lets see TIME actually portray that "story" since they so meticulously like to spin some doosies.
    "Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God."--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
    "Paul doesn't expect that he will win the nomination, and he has no interest in running as an independent again."

The first part blatantly false. He specifically said on Leno last night that he could win, and Leno didn't even disagree. Plus, he has ALWAYS said he is in it to win! I have never EVER heard him say that he doesn't expect to win the nomination!
    Yeah, complete propaganda. It's fascinating, isn't it? I don't think I've seen a single MSM piece that didn't go out of it's way to claim that, of course, this guy can't win! So Pravda-esque.

And so false!

Guess we know how they'll spin November 5th! Perhaps they think it will scare us off. Where do they dredge up sleeze like Frank Luntz? The American people are going to be saying '$#@! your frank' alot more often for now on.

We are currently (4AM CST) story #1 on the time website. Wow!

Time Magazine on the Ron Paul Revolution

http://www.time.com/time/politics/ar...678661,00.html

They decided to write about us. How lovely

His supporters are the equivalent of crabgrass," says GOP consultant Frank Luntz. "It's not the grass you want, and it spreads faster than the real stuff. They just like him because he's the most anti-Establishment of all the candidates, the most likely to look at the camera during the debates and say, 'Hey, Washington, f____ you.
    You are part of that fetid beltway establishment, Duntz.

$#@! YOU FRANK!

I like the #2 article caption, describing Giuliani as "increasingly seen as the GOP frontrunner."

They forgot to finish the sentence: "...by corporate-owned shills in the corrupt media and polling industries, and no one else."

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The TIME article is nice in general and good publicity, but do you think that it's worth trying to push for a retraction of "Paul doesn't expect that he will win the nomination" in the last paragraph, maybe it will increase the campaign credibility if we get a retraction for that?
    I think the reporter just made up that line because it fit into his ending paragraph, so maybe if we can get someone from the official campaign to contact TIME and demand evidence or retraction, he will comply and write a correction (both online and in the next print edition) saying that it's an error and he meant to write the he personally doesn't expect Ron Paul to win the nomination.
    I think that it's worth pushing for retraction only if this story is in the print edition of TIME magazine. Anyone knows if it is?

It's always bittersweet isn't it ?(lol)

Anyways, pretty good article and not overtly unfair, we'll take it! Great exposure.

Crabgrass, huh?

One characteristic about crabgrass that he forgot to mention is that you can never get rid of it...you can only hope to contain it.

I'm a zoysia-man myself.

What an idiot. He even LOOKS like an idiot.

And I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Quote Originally Posted by iddo View Post
    The TIME article is nice in general and good publicity, but do you think that it's worth trying to push for a retraction of "Paul doesn't expect that he will win the nomination" in the last paragraph, maybe it will increase the campaign credibility if we get a retraction for that?
    I think the reporter just made up that line because it fit into his ending paragraph, so maybe if we can get someone from the official campaign to contact TIME and demand evidence or retraction, he will comply and write a correction (both online and in the next print edition) saying that it's an error and he meant to write the he personally doesn't expect Ron Paul to win the nomination.
    I think that it's worth pushing for retraction only if this story is in the print edition of TIME magazine. Anyone knows if it is?
    Time to contact TIME.

The article is merely saying Ron Paul is rising BUT only weird people support him.

Seems that they are trying to scare would-be RP supporters out of doing so. Being labeled "weird" or a "nerd" is more scary to the majority of people than lost liberties.

yea, they called us nerds way too many times...wtf is up with that.

they basically called every single one of us nerds... if you support ron paul you are a nerd according to time.

a good article overall, but they are trying to isolate us i think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast