Thread: Big suprise, abstinence-only education major FAILURE, success only for authoritarians

Big suprise, abstinence-only education major FAILURE, success only for authoritarians

One Texas public school district's sex ed handout is entitled "Things to Look for in a Mate:"

I. How they relate to God
    A. Is Jesus their first love?
    B. Trying to impress people or serve God?

Another public school district uses this:

Question: "What does the Bible say about sex before marriage/premarital sex?"

Answer: Along with all other kinds of sexual immorality, sex before marriage/premarital sex is repeatedly condemned in Scripture (Acts 15:20; Romans 1:29; 1 Corinthians 5:1; 6:13,18; 7:2; 10:8; 2 Corinthians 12:21; Galatians 5:19; Ephesians 5:3; Colossians 3:5; 1 Thessalonians 4:3; Jude 7).

The results? Teen pregnancy in Texas went up -- higher than before "abstinence only," and more than 50 percent higher than the national average. Even more troubling was that repeat teen pregnancy went up -- to the point that it, too, led the nation. It turns out that Texas kids thought that "if birth control doesn't work, why use it?"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shawn-..._b_904115.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Question: "What does the Bible say about sex before marriage/premarital sex?"

Answer: Along with all other kinds of sexual immorality, sex before marriage/premarital sex is repeatedly condemned in Scripture (Acts 15:20; Romans 1:29; 1 Corinthians 5:1; 6:13,18; 7:2; 10:8; 2 Corinthians 12:21; Galatians 5:19; Ephesians 5:3; Colossians 3:5; 1 Thessalonians 4:3; Jude 7).
    Everyone of those scriptures are attributed to the Apostle Paul, who seemed to have an obsession with sexual matters. What is interesting, is Paul supposedly never had sex, since he was never married, but he sure mentions it a lot.
    "..and on Earth anguish of nations, not knowing the way out...while men become faint out of fear and expectation of the things coming upon the inhabited Earth." -- Jesus of Nazareth

There's some truth to this. If kids don't buy condoms because they think they're going to remain abstinent anyway, then when they're in a situation where they give in to temptation, no condoms are available. Thus, more teen pregnancy.

I think it's fine to be abstinent, but there's nothing wrong with having condoms and knowing how to use them in case you change your mind.
    Last edited by sevin; 07-21-2011 at 06:25 PM.

Ya I've made this claim numerous times.

Kids who are educated about safe sex and kids who are educated about abstinence have sex at about the same rates. Sorry, but sex feels way better than anything else in the world and teens are in their sexual prime. It's like trying to stop a giant boulder rolling down a mountain.

However kids who are educated about safe sex are more likely to engage in sex more safely, and so the kids who aren't end up with higher pregnancy and STD rates.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by YumYum View Post
    Everyone of those scriptures are attributed to the Apostle Paul, who seemed to have an obsession with sexual matters. What is interesting, is Paul supposedly never had sex, since he was never married, but he sure mentions it a lot.
    Because then, just as now, the Church has been filled with people who have no control over their passions and commit grievous sexual sins.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

Big suprise, abstinence-only education major FAILURE, success only for authoritarians
    big surprise! public schooling MAJOR failure.
    Those Who Do Not Move, Do Not Notice Their Chains.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Teen pregnancies don't bother me, but out-of-wedlock teen pregnancies do.

One solution I advocate is to allow your children to marry at younger ages. Most states allow marriage at 16 with parental consent.
    Last edited by Southron; 07-22-2011 at 01:52 PM.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post

One solution I advocate is to allow your children to marry at younger ages. Most states allow marriage at 16 with parental consent.
    I'm not sure about that. People change a lot as they enter their twenties. My brother got married at 18 (didn't want to have sex out of wedlock) and nine years later they divorced. They realized they never should have gotten married. I know it doesn't go that way for everyone, but as a rule of thumb I think it's better to date a little longer.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by sevin View Post
    I'm not sure about that. People change a lot as they enter their twenties. My brother got married at 18 (didn't want to have sex out of wedlock) and nine years later they divorced. They realized they never should have gotten married. I know it doesn't go that way for everyone, but as a rule of thumb I think it's better to date a little longer.
    Well, my idea works best for those who don't believe in divorce. But if there were children involved during those nine years, I believe them being married was still for the best.
    Equality is a false god.

Supporting Member
    North Wilkesboro, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post

My wife and I have been married since July 15, 1976. I had turned 16 on May 18th. My wife turned 16 the day after we were married, July 16th. We have been together since we were 12 y/o. We turned 52 this year.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by olehounddog View Post
    My wife and I have been married since July 15, 1976. I had turned 16 on May 18th. My wife turned 16 the day after we were married, July 16th. We have been together since we were 12 y/o. We turned 52 this year.
    Very impressive in this day and age. My hat is off to you.
    Equality is a false god.

Quote Originally Posted by YumYum View Post
    Paul wrote 60% of the NT to a very sexualized pagan society, in which he was a hands-on missionary. Might have something to do with it.

BTW, why do school's have to teach any sex ed? If you can't figure out how to use a condom without someone showing you, then you are retarded. It's not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by sorianofan View Post
    BTW, why do school's have to teach any sex ed? If you can't figure out how to use a condom without someone showing you, then you are retarded. It's not rocket science.
    retarded people $#@! the most.

True. But those same people are gonna bareback it anyway. Best not to subsidize any of their stupidity via foodstamps, planned parenthood, subsidized housing, and other overt government attempts to affect personal behaviors. Just let nature work things out on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by sevin View Post
    Nine years actually seems like a pretty long time for someone who got married at 18.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.