Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for how to kill a trapped groundhog

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    What's wrong with eating them?

You could have a neighborhood bbq.

Nothing's wrong with eating them! Seriously, they're actually very tasty. I've eaten groundhog myself, I swear.

And didn't you see the groundhog recipes link?

http://www.wildliferecipes.net/game_...ipes/index.asp

Just one example:
    Fried Woodchuck

1 woodchuck
    1 tbsp salt
    1 cup flour
    2 tbsp fat

Clean woodchuck; remove glands; cut into 6 or 7 pieces. Parboil in salted water for 1 hour. Remove from broth; roll in flour and fry in hot fat (deep fat may be used) until brown. Serves 6.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Why not just let them go? There is enough death in this world, no need to add to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krugerrand View Post
    They are exceptionally destructive/devastating and they typically fail to respond to "No Ground Hogs Allowed" signs.
    I agree that animals should not be killed unless its necessary (food, property damage, disease, etc). We had a squirrel problem shortly after I moved into my neighborhood (retired folk like to feed and watch them causing a population explosion). I tried different ways to control the situation, ways that would not weigh on my conscience, and ways that the wife favored - all were ways that turned out to be ineffective.
    I finally resolved to using the old marlin, and leaving their corpses at the property line to encourage natural predators...

Today we have 5 hawks living on and near my property. They routinely snatch squirrels from the ground, and even the occasional rabbit. We also have coyotes too, who have taken care of the feral cat population (I had used live traps for the cats - brought trapped cats to neighbors who I suspected were feeding them, and asked if the cats belonged to them. Thankfully, I got the cooperation of said neighbors, who stopped feeding the feral cats - we no longer have any critter issues)

"Life aint always beautiful".

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    I agree that animals should not be killed unless its necessary (food, property damage, disease, etc). We had a squirrel problem shortly after I moved into my neighborhood (retired folk like to feed and watch them causing a population explosion).
    Tell me about it. Lost almost the entire fruit crop (plums, apples) to squirrels this year.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Sharp knife in the back of the neck
    ☑ First they ignore you (Pre-2007)
    ☑ Then they laugh at you (2007-2008)
    ☑ Then they fight you (2008-2011)
    ☐ Then you win
    Join the R3volution!

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Invite your local hawk. Eagles like them too
    No good if you have other livestock such as chickens, which are a whole lot easier and less risky to take than a chuck.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Okay, late to the party. What's all this about?

I've been trapped in busy season for us vertebrate pest managers.

I haven't been on the boards for months. I don't even know how RP is doing in the polls these days.

Ask me specific questions, and I'll try to answer them. I may not have even responded to this, but Angelatc posted a message on my profile page that got through to the spam box in my personal email address.

I'm subscribing to this thread so I should get messages in my regular inbox.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

Professionals like me use a gas chamber, not a vacuum chamber. You displace the oxygen with Carbon dioxide, so in a way it's removing the air, breathable air that is. A gas chamber can be made of any box. Even cardboard, and you just need a CO2 cylinder, a regulator, and a hose. Set the regulator for 15cfh, and let the gas run for however long it takes to displace all the air in the box + an extra 20% for good measure.

The flow rate is important as 15cfh will put the animals to sleep slowly before they ever panic from lack of oxygen as they would if you do it too quickly.
    CPT Jack. R. T.

Check the laws in your state about transporting wildlife.

Possession of live wildlife, transporting of live wildlife, relocation without a permit, relocation of problem causing animals, etc are all game violations in most states.

Getting busted for something like this would be a really stupid way to lose your ability to help RP win an election.

Why not hire a pro like me. Here's a national website where you can find somebody to help you.

www.aallanimalcontrol.com

Be sure to tell them all about RP while they are there. Everybody on that website is a republican, I guarantee it.
    CPT Jack. R. T.

What dork rated this thread 1 star?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    What dork rated this thread 1 star?

Are you gonna sit there and take that from a sailor, Rael?

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Why not just let them go? There is enough death in this world, no need to add to it.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I hope the OP ended up eating it.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Had to do one in for a neighbor today who had it in a live trap.
    Before I go further: we are in the suburbs, it has been the suburbs for over 60 years, none of the neighbors want them setting up shop in their yards, they have done serious damage to one of the houses in the neighborhood, and letting them live is simply not an option, so I don't want to hear it.

My neighbor is using live traps on them. This is primarily because her husband doesn't want to know they're getting offed. So we periodically have live groundhogs in traps that we need to dispose of discreetly.

Today I did what I've done for rabbits I was about to eat - 5lb sledge to the head. But groundhogs are apparently a lot tougher than rabbits and he took his sweet time dying. We also had to swing at it in the cage repeatedly to get it disabled so I could get a hold of its neck without losing a finger.

I don't exactly like doing or watching that, so I'm wondering if anyone knows a quicker way.

Firearms are out. Too populated, too likely we'll get visited. Suppressors are legal in VA with class 3 tax and paperwork, but if I end up having to deal with getting a can just so they don't have to suffer... well, congratulations federal government, now you're making animals suffer.

Be nice if we could get ahold of whatever animal control uses... watched them put down a racoon down the road with something in a needle a couple years ago and it took all of 5 seconds.
    In the rural suburbs, we'd put a sturdy trash bag over where the cage opens, open the cage, and shake the cage until the animal (usually raccoon where we were, which can be a very serious menace) runs into the bag. Wear some good gloves and strangle it.

Err -- wrong Chrome window open.

-Kludge
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

If it is trapped, set up a monitor looping Nancy Pelosi video and put a razor blade within reach.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Wear some good gloves and strangle it.
    LOL - WTF?
    Make it personal... Take the gloves off.

...post may not have been intended to be funny, but I laughed. Sorry.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by enoch150 View Post
    For the love of God, don't kill it, yet. Keep it in captivity. Catch as many as possible and keep them, too. Let them breed in captivity. You want to accumulate as many as possible over the next seven months. Then dismember them. Slit their throats. Run them over with a car. Do whatever, as long as it's messy. Throw all the corpses (hopefully there will be several dozens) in your car, along with a lot of rope, and head for Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, planning to arrive at 2:00 AM on Feb. 2nd. Hang them from the telephone polls all over town. The epicness begins at dawn.
    I know it's still early, but I feel safe in declaring you today's winner of the internet. The lulz... they are strong with this one.

Air Rifle, then this:

Waco Groundhog in Sour Cream

Recipe By: "Indian Cookin'", compiled by Herb Walker, 1977

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
    1 Groundhog, skinned & cleaned
    1/2 cup Vinegar
    1 tablespoon Salt
    2 quarts Water
    2 teaspoons Soda
    1/2 cup Flour
    1 teaspoon Salt
    1/2 teaspoon Allspice
    1/2 cup Bacon fat
    3 small Wild onions
    1/2 cup Water
    1 cup Sour cream

Skin and clean the groundhog. Wash and dry and put in an earthen
    crock. Cover with water and a half cup of vinegar and 1 T. of salt.
    Let stand in a cool place overnight. In the morning, remove from
    brine, wash and pat dry with a damp cloth. In a large soup kettle
    combine 2 qt. of water and 2 T. of soda. Bring to a boil, lower the
    heat and simmer for 15 minutes, removing the scum as it rises to the
    surface. Drain and rinse the groundhog meat and cut into serving
    pieces. Combinethe flour, salt and allspice and dredge the pieces of
    meat in the mixture. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Melt the bacon
    fat in a heavy iron frying pan until smoking. jBrown meat on all
    sides. Transfer the browned meat into a greased 4 qt. casserole.
    Arrange sliced onions on top, add water, cover and bake in a
    preheated oven for 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Transfer the
    meat to a heated platter to keep warm. Put the casserole on top of
    the stove over medium heat and spoon in the sour cream stirring
    constantly. Do not let the sauce come to a boil. Put the meat back
    into the casserole and simmer for about 15 minutes. Delicious served
    with creamed dandelion leaves.

Put them in the back yard of Romney supporters ^_^

see if it passes the swim test.
    Too bad our elected officials are not as aggressively trying to reduce the federal deficit as they are trying to strip us of our constitutional rights.

Use a .22 winchester lever action.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Original_Intent View Post
    If it is trapped, set up a monitor looping Nancy Pelosi video and put a razor blade within reach.
    LOL, that should do it.

Just dunk them in water until they are dead. My grandpa has a mouse trap that is a bucket filled with water and covered in a paper grocery bag with an X cut in the center. He has two little ramps on the side so the mice can get up. Why would they get up? Because there is a hunk of cheese hanging in a cage off of the ceiling. So the mice smell the cheese, walk up the ramps and step on the cut paper bag trying to reach the cheese and fall into the bucket with water and drown. It is probably the least messy and most cost effective way.
    No more IRS.
    I am now old enough to vote.

I don't mind people killing animals as long as they do it as long as they do it as humanely as they can. Death is inevitable in nature, but we don't need to add to the suffering of any living creature. Varmints didn't ask to be born varmints. And very often a humane death is just as easy to inflict as a cruel one.

I tend to think the .22 to the head is the way to go. Either one of the very high-powered air rifles that's out there now, or even a .22 firearm. I think the latter could be used without being heard, or at least paid attention to, in most populated areas. A .22 isn't that loud, and the cage could be surrounded by sound-dampening materials before popping the guy inside.
    Last edited by GuerrillaXXI; 10-16-2011 at 09:59 PM.
    "Man lives freely only by his readiness to die." -- Mohandas K. Gandhi

"Generally speaking, the way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death." -- Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GuerrillaXXI View Post
    Varmints didn't ask to be born varmints.
    How do you know that?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    How do you know that?
    He asked you....OHHHHHH BUUUUUUURRRRRRN!

Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

How do you know that?
    because the ones that choose it, go into politics.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    He asked you....OHHHHHH BUUUUUUURRRRRRN!

-rep
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

How do you know that?
    One of them told me once.
    "Man lives freely only by his readiness to die." -- Mohandas K. Gandhi

"Generally speaking, the way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death." -- Miyamoto Musashi

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    -rep
    What? No way! You love my abuse, last I checked!

Quote Originally Posted by GuerrillaXXI View Post
    One of them told me once.
    "They say the last thing to go is hearing." I had a nurse (or aid?) tell me this as a suggestion that I should call someone and hold the phone to my unconscious dying great uncle.

Or course I asked, "who are they?"
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast