Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas for how to kill a trapped groundhog

Ideas for how to kill a trapped groundhog

Had to do one in for a neighbor today who had it in a live trap.
    Before I go further: we are in the suburbs, it has been the suburbs for over 60 years, none of the neighbors want them setting up shop in their yards, they have done serious damage to one of the houses in the neighborhood, and letting them live is simply not an option, so I don't want to hear it.

My neighbor is using live traps on them. This is primarily because her husband doesn't want to know they're getting offed. So we periodically have live groundhogs in traps that we need to dispose of discreetly.

Today I did what I've done for rabbits I was about to eat - 5lb sledge to the head. But groundhogs are apparently a lot tougher than rabbits and he took his sweet time dying. We also had to swing at it in the cage repeatedly to get it disabled so I could get a hold of its neck without losing a finger.

I don't exactly like doing or watching that, so I'm wondering if anyone knows a quicker way.

Firearms are out. Too populated, too likely we'll get visited. Suppressors are legal in VA with class 3 tax and paperwork, but if I end up having to deal with getting a can just so they don't have to suffer... well, congratulations federal government, now you're making animals suffer.

Be nice if we could get ahold of whatever animal control uses... watched them put down a racoon down the road with something in a needle a couple years ago and it took all of 5 seconds.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Throw it in your car and drive it outside the city limits?
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

I agree with Cowlesy. That is what i did with two raccoons i caught. Transported them to another part of the city. NO need to kill the animals.

Yeah... can anyone who values vermin (that breed explosively and ruin property and food) at less than $20 in gas weigh in maybe?
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    Throw it in your car and drive it outside the city limits?
    nope, groundhog -- it's what's for dinner....

If there are farmers outside your city limits, they probably don't want more of them, either. Have you asked your local animal control? Drowning in the cage may be an option also, though I don't know how humane that is.
    Last edited by Bruno; 07-17-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Yeah... can anyone who values vermin (that breed explosively and ruin property and food) at less than $20 in gas weigh in maybe?
    Call the waaaahhmbulance!
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Seems like a sturdy plastic bag and some sort of gas would put the animal to sleep....hook it up to your tailpipe.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ideas for how to kill a trapped groundhog
    Tell Obama it's a terrist. He'll send a Predator drone...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

well, if you do want to kill it, you could do drowning. I'm sure there are some other live options also to not kill it.
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

You could poison the poor thing, I guess, but that can be pretty nasty.

I'm not sure why you have to kill it, and if you're asking what animal control uses but then complaining about the cost of gas to get rid of it, that seems a little strange. When I have wild creatures I don't want to handle, I call the university's wild animal vet center first, then I call animal control, and then (believe it or not, animal control does not always come) I start scouting private critter-handling companies. The university takes in all kinds of little wild animals and nurses them to health, then has a small "zoo" of local wildlife that school kids visit.

Or, you know, you could drown it
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Baseball bat? Apparently you don't have to really kill it that way. It might die somewhere in the skinning process. She must be a Kosher butcher.

(Warning - Do not view if you are an animals rights activist or are squeamish about the butchering process.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3gvHWf7ldY
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 07-17-2011 at 02:06 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

First of all, tell that woman her husband's a puss. j/k. Get a spring loaded pellet gun - 1000ft per sec or more. We live in the country, no patience or sympathy for vermin.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    if you're asking what animal control uses
    Most widely used method is a (vacuum) chamber where the air is pumped out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Yep. Pretty sure that this is more than $20 unless you're going to rig one up at home, which would be simple but not 100% reliable
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    First of all, tell that woman her husband's a puss. j/k. Get a spring loaded pellet gun - 1000ft per sec or more. We live in the country, no patience or sympathy for vermin.
    I agree with the pellet gun. We've got beavers and they destroy trees like crazy, although we are several miles out of the nearest town.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yep. Pretty sure that this is more than $20 unless you're going to rig one up at home, which would be simple but not 100% reliable
    Once he has it set-up, he can start his own business!

"Fisharmor's Somewhat-Humane-Kill Varmint Control"

just put up barriers, or get a cat, or dog. animals are very valuable to have around, they can alert you to earthquakes coming. and can be food in a shtf senerio, we need to learn to live with nature or else we're just as bad as those who are in power now, and our problems wont go away

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    I agree with the pellet gun. We've got beavers and they destroy trees like crazy, although we are several miles out of the nearest town.
    It's really the most humane way to kill them cuz it's instant.

Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.

In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......

Drowning it? Hitting it with a hammer? Are you guys serious. You can't think of any more humane ways? one .22 to the head seems like the most humane or not killing it at all and letting it go far away from the suburb.

Quote Originally Posted by zerosdontcount View Post
    Drowning it? Hitting it with a hammer? Are you guys serious. You can't think of any more humane ways? one .22 to the head seems like the most humane or not killing it at all and letting it go far away from the suburb.
    The dude is in the city though. A .22 will be heard.

Air gun. Something in .22 and/or over 1000 fps. Quiet and kills groundhogs/rabbits just fine.

http://www.pyramydair.com/ Go here and find cheap ones that have good reviews. Then go to your local store and see if they carry any of them.
    "Truth will win in the end. We just don't know when the end is. So we have to persevere." ― Carol Paul

One word.
    Dachshund
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dachshund
    It's what they're for.

I have a mixed mutt that seems to have some Dachshund in her.
    She keeps the place clear of burrowing critters.

Last edited by pcosmar; 07-17-2011 at 03:21 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I took out a Groundhog the other day with a Gamo Whisper .177, it wasn't my rifle but I've been using it to defend the sweet corn from Racoons at night, and well Opossums. It seems we are over run with varmints. I'm going to buy one soon, but I think I'm going to get a model that is .22 cal. Here is the web site, their video section is pretty cool, they hunt for hogs in a couple of them.

http://www.gamousa.com/videos.aspx

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I start scouting private critter-handling companies. (
    He runs a private critter-handling company, I think. If not, somebody on these boards does. That's who we should be asking.
    Last edited by angelatc; 07-17-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Alright then - my plastic bag idea wasn't too far off. Just hook the bag up to a shop vac.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Alright then - my plastic bag idea wasn't too far off. Just hook the bag up to a shop vac.
    RPF member IcyMudPuppy has a critter control business.

No firearms?

A pair of heavy gloves and wring the critter's neck.

Easy, Peasy, Japeneasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    It's really the most humane way to kill them cuz it's instant.
    My first thought was air rifle, too. Not necessarily instant, however. Need to have the right ammo type, and kill spot.

If they are jumping around in a live cage, it's sometimes more difficult than shooting them 50 yards out unexpected.

Just do the humane thing, like I do.

Take it to the local golf course and release it. I've discovered that 3-4 a.m. works best; no one is around to ask stupid questions.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Just do the humane thing, like I do.
    Take it to the local golf course and release it. I've discovered that 3-4 a.m. works best; no one is around to ask stupid questions.
    You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Best advice so far.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast