Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking - ron paul will not seek re-election to congress

Breaking - ron paul will not seek re-election to congress

From Ron's Facebook Page:

Ron Paul
    Big news! I have decided not to seek re-election next for my house seat in 2012 and will focus all of my energy winning the Presidency. My hometown newspaper The Facts will be running the exclusive story very shortly.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/ronpaul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Crap. I thought it might be this.

Rand, we love you, but we aren't ready for your Dad to retire if he doesn't win this time. What about his committee?
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Isn't Medina from his district?

I don't see it.

I'm moving this to hot topics, since it looks like if it was there, it is gone. -- nvm it is there now. It wasn't a second ago
    Last edited by sailingaway; 07-12-2011 at 09:41 AM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Wow. This is bittersweet.

It's his last chance, either he is the President or he retires with Carol.

I feel like he's going to throw everything he has at this now. Did you see that speech yesterday? He is energetic and wants this right now.

RON PAUL OR BUST.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    I don't see it.
    Me neither. I'm guessing someone jumped the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Isn't Medina from his district?
    They gerrymandered his district so much who knows now?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by thehighwaymanq View Post
    Wow. This is bittersweet.
    It's his last chance, either he is the President or he retires with Carol.
    I feel like he's going to throw everything he has at this now. Did you see that speech yesterday? He is energetic and wants this right now.
    RON PAUL OR BUST.
    Yup. This is what his supporters asked for. They wanted him to give the presidential run his "all" and that is gonna take a bit out of him. If he can't win it, then I hope he enjoys his retirement.

All in baby
    “When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind.” -CS Lewis

Has the district been redistricted yet. Could be a head fake as state party members will want to groom some young buck who wants his spot and won't want to ruin the district.

http://thefacts.com/article_1c9785ea...cc4c03286.html
    Ron Paul won't seek congressional term in 2012

LAKE JACKSON — After serving almost 24 years in the U.S. House of Representatives, Congressman Ron Paul told The Facts this morning he will not be seeking another term for the District 14 seat.

Paul, 75, will instead focus on his quest for the presidency in 2012.

“I felt it was better that I concentrate on one election,” Paul said. “It’s about that time when I should change tactics.”

His announcement will give enough time for anyone with aspirations for his seat to think about running, he said. Paul didn’t want to wait for filing in the 2012 primary to let people know he wasn’t seeking reelection.

“I didn’t want to hold off until in December,” he said. “I thought it shouldn’t be any later than now.”

Paul has served 12 terms in Congress. District 14 encompasses a 10-county area along the Gulf Coast.

“The people in the area have supported me for many years,” he said.

Before turning to politics, Paul was an obstetrician based in Lake Jackson. The Pennsylvania native served as a flight surgeon in the U.S. Air Force before moving to the area to start his practice.

Paul first was elected to the U.S. House in 1976 and served four terms before stepping down in 1984. After Republicans took over Congress in 1994, Paul said he felt inspired to run again and sought the District 14 seat in 1996. He beat incumbent Republican U.S. Rep. Greg Laughlin in the 1996 primary and won the general election against Democrat Charles “Lefty” Morris.

Paul has held the seat since 1996 and has fended off challengers both from his party and from Democrats. In the last election in 2010, Paul easily beat three Republican challengers in the primary and then won reelection against Democrat Robert Pruett in the general election.

Brazoria County Republican Chair Yvonne Dewey said she was not expecting Paul’s announcement, made exclusively to The Facts early Tuesday.

“I’m surprised,” she said. “He has won very handily in the last few elections. He’s hung in there all these years.”

While he has faced many opponents in his own party in recent years, no one has formally announced running for his nomination in the March 2012 primary, Dewey said.

“I think it will be treated as a wide-open seat,” she said. “You will have a lot of candidates on both sides.”

He unsuccessfully ran for president as the Libertarian Party candidate in 1988, and in 2008 unsuccessfully sought the Republican nomination for the White House.
    Paul said while he is vacating the District 14 seat, he feels his chances for the 2012 Republican nomination are much better than in 2008, when he set fundraising records driven by the Internet.

“We have a lot more support right now,” he said. “Things are doing well for us.”

Paul is traveling the country in his bid for the White House and said he has spent twice the amount of time in New Hampshire and Iowa this year than he did in 2008. Throughout his time in politics, Paul has had a stance of limited government, reduced federal spending, individual liberties and a non-interventionist foreign policy.

“I have been talking about this for years,” he said Tuesday. “I will always be doing that. But not in the U.S. Congress.”

John Tompkins is senior reporter for The Facts. Contact him at 979-849-8581.
    Last edited by hillertexas; 07-12-2011 at 09:56 AM.
    R[∃vo˩]ution

I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

I am glad to hear this news.

Ron has done all he could to help promote liberty in Congress...POTUS or bust!

His seed is in the Senate!

I don't quite know how to feel about this.

Hmmmm, chances for a 3rd party run should Mitt or another RINO get nominated?!

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Yup. This is what his supporters asked for. They wanted him to give the presidential run his "all" and that is gonna take a bit out of him. If he can't win it, then I hope he enjoys his retirement.
    Name one person who asked him to quit the House.

However, I do see it as a challenge to Bachmann..... will she do the same?

And declaring this early, I'm sure he has specific ideas about a successor.

Hm, wonder if BJ would make the move?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    POTUS or bust. I like it.
    "Liberty, Peace and Prosperity"

Makes me sad. He has paved the way for new liberty minded candidates, but I havent seen any to match him.

Wonder if that money is his Congressional fund will be passed over to his Prez account..

Just an added (possibly addled) thought.

This would also open the possibility of a third party run if the GOP refuses to accept him as the only possible republican candidate.

Just a thought, we'll see how the game goes.

edit,
    someone else is thinking it
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyPhanatic View Post
    Last edited by pcosmar; 07-12-2011 at 09:53 AM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    Name one person who asked him to quit the House.
    Every single person that wanted him to really try to win and give it his all.

Do we have the technology to make a younger Ron Paul clone?

Quote Originally Posted by PPHILPOT View Post
    Makes me sad. He has paved the way for new liberty minded candidates, but I havent seen any to match him.
    Debra Medina could match him. Is she from Ron's district?

Quote Originally Posted by thehighwaymanq View Post
    RON PAUL OR BUST.
    ^^^ this LOL.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Do or die. White House or we just get to expatriate ourselves. A Paul America or find John Galt's Island.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyPhanatic View Post
    all i can say is to me this opens the door to a 3rd party run if the gop plays the same games like they did in 2008!! If i was ron paul. I would make them sweat balls over this very fact if the gop keeps the same ole games coming!! no need to play this hand yet but he should have it in the cards in case the corrupt gop leadership marginalizes him again!! obama vs Ron Paul vs obama republicans ,if the gop fails to nominate him at least you have obama vs obama republicans! That leaves my vote Ron Paul 2012 or 3rd party.

I will run!

seriously though, I like Medina but if youre going to be the only bastion of liberty in the Congress you need to be an intellectual heavyweight. Are we sure she is?
    Last edited by PPHILPOT; 07-12-2011 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    Wonder if that money is his Congressional fund will be passed over to his Prez account..
    I'm sure that was part of the motivation. First, he can concentrate on his Presidential race, second, Rand is in the Senate now, third, he can put more than a million into his presidential race if he wants....and use it to support a new candidate. It might lessen his influence in Texas caucuses and with Perry coming in (we think) that is an issue, but his supporters will be all the more active, I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by speciallyblend View Post
    all i can say is to me this opens the door to a 3rd party run if the gop plays the same games like they did in 2008!! If i was ron paul. I would make them sweat balls over this very fact if the gop keeps the same ole games coming!! no need to play this hand yet but he should have it in the cards in case the corrupt gop leadership marginalizes him again!! obama vs Ron Paul vs obama republicans ,if the gop fails to nominate him at least you have obama vs obama republicans! That leaves my vote Ron Paul 2012 or 3rd party.
    This is interesting! He might as well. I mean, it's not like stealing votes from Perry/Romney/Bachmann or whoever the nominee is is going to make anything worse. Obama is a centrist now, just like any GOP nominee will be.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Every single person that wanted him to really try to win and give it his all.
    That's vague. I haven't seen it anywhere. Maybe someone said it, you've been around longer than I. I would suspect they were trolls though. However, I did think he might decide to retire later, if he didn't win. I wasn't ready for this, though.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast