Thread: Need help with a router.

Need help with a router.

I really needed a new IP address after I was made aware how stupid it was to go through a fair bit of effort to disable password-protection on VNC servers I'm running. ISP won't give out new IP address unless modem is off for 24h (rather, they won't do it manually but their network's configured to release IP addresses of modems left off for 24h). Left off for 24h. Now have new IP address. Everything was working fine prior to this.

Router will not accept DHCP settings from cable modem -- WAN IP, DNS Addr., etc all blank. Release/renew does nothing. Reset router firmware/settings, unplugged both cable modem and router in different orders, but can't seem to connect to both the router and the Internet at the same time.

I'm absolutely sure the ethernet cable is going from the cable modem to the router in the WAN port. Only one computer (the one I'm on) accepts a wired connection to the router.

After fiddling with it more, I have a bizarre new problem. The wired computer is connected to the router (yes, it is -- it's not connected to the cable modem), but it is entirely bypassing the router and transmitting/receiving data with the cable modem. I cannot connect to the router anymore. I'm also now unable to connect to the router wirelessly, which I could do before.

Any ideas? Using DD-WRT on ASUS RT-N10+ on Win7, ethernet connection, fwiw. I'll be back to trying to connect with the router some more, then maybe try some other routers I'm using. Any help appreciated.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    //nm

I assume you've reset the router by holding in the reset button for 10-15 seconds?
    Last edited by dannno; 07-11-2011 at 11:43 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

What kind of IP address is your computer getting when you are plugged into the router? Are you getting the public IP address from the ISP or a private IP (192.168.xxx.xxx) from your router? If you are getting a public IP and you can't hit your router, then your router may be in some sort of "bridge-mode" which will pass your public IP to the connected computer.

Depending on the router, you can usually statically assign your PC a private IP on the same subnet as the router and access it again even if it's in bridge-mode.

^^Yep.

Resetting router stops Internet connection but allows access to router. Cloning PC MAC Address on router seems to allow Internet connection, but then I'm in that situation where I can't connect to the router and only the wired PC can access the Internet.

I'm going to try unplugging the router, modem, and PC wired to router, then plug in router, then modem - wait, and then plug PC in. Edit: Same problem where PC is connecting directly with modem & can't access router.

Quote Originally Posted by easycougar View Post
    What kind of IP address is your computer getting when you are plugged into the router? Are you getting the public IP address from the ISP or a private IP (192.168.xxx.xxx) from your router? If you are getting a public IP and you can't hit your router, then your router may be in some sort of "bridge-mode" which will pass your public IP to the connected computer.

Depending on the router, you can usually statically assign your PC a private IP on the same subnet as the router and access it again even if it's in bridge-mode.
    I get the public IP addr. when plugged into router. Router is in AP mode.

I ended up trying to use the connection info my PC was given by the router, having the router use connection info I manually set (instead of DHCP), then set the PC info in there, but no luck.

Cable modem should be acting as a bridge, router using PPP to authenticate and manage connection to the ISP with the given public IP. From your computer, you should be able to connect to the router via its static IP address such as 192.168.1.1, even if the ISP is down. In addition, make sure your DNS server settings on your computers are pointed to 192.168.1.1 (or whatever your IP address is on the private side of the router). Typically, you can setup your router to be a DHCP server for your side of the network; however, I personally use static addresses. I'm not sure what AP mode means...It almost sounds like your broadcasting two wireless networks (modem and router), when you want the wired? Hope that helps a little, if not, I have no clue.

Try plugging a different machine into the router (if you have one available) and see if you still get a public IP on it also. The bridged router may be forwarding all traffic to this particular MAC address of the machine that is currently plugged in. I've seen some routers that can be put in "DMZ plus" mode for a particular MAC address and will give that machine (and only that machine by MAC addr) the public IP.

I'm at the point where my heart's about to explode, so I'm going to go listen to some music, wait for the mail to arrive, and then start going through y'all's suggestions -- leave the router connected to the modem, see if anything magic happens while I'm away. Thanks, all.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Patience - I don't have it.

The router and modem needed a few minutes powered up (meaning I can't be resetting it by changing settings every 30s) and connected to each other to work out their differences. Everything's going well now.

Wow. Well, thanks again, everyone. Sorry for making you think.