Thread: Visit retirement homes and talk about ron paul :)

Visit retirement homes and talk about ron paul :)

see title . I think this is the best way to reach older folks.
    Any thoughts people?
    "The message of freedom is what brings us together"
    -Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes, in a previous post I was doing some brainstorming of ways to reach the elderly. I'm glad you brought it up in a new post though because I think it's a great idea and very important.

Make sure to bring Ron Paul literature discussing subjects that elderly people are most interested in (health care, social security, and terrorism). Go to old folks buildings and place them neatly in recreational, eating and lounging areas and post them on boards where activities, events, and notices are.

Here's the problem. A lot of places are protected and you can't get in. Both of my grandma's live in places like this so I can get in. Probably best to do it at a time when nobody is around.

EDIT: Just saw that this got moved into the senior outreach section which I never looked at before. Good stuff in it. I saw an idea about putting fliers in through their doors. Interesting. I wonder what kind of affect this would have. I like it so far.
    Last edited by AlexAmore; 07-11-2011 at 02:47 AM.
    Founder and leader of the militant wing of the Salvation Army.

Large print literature that doesn't mention the words "libertarian", "anarcho-capitalism", or "bomb".
    Maxed out to ALL of Ron Paul's campaigns.

Listen to Liberty Tree Radio! ::

Pro-Liberty, Pro-Gun, Pro-Militia Radio 5 days a week, 10 LIVE HRS TALK RADIO PER DAY!

http://www.libertytreeradio.4mg.com

http://www.themicroeffect.com (8A - 11A EST daily)

http://www.live365.com/stations/edtheak47 (3 PM- 9 PM EST daily)

Organize, Arm, Equip, and Train as a Militia !

Speaking from experience with my in-laws and elderly family members, assisted living centers are rich targets. Generally someone on staff fills the role of entertainment director. Both the entertainment directors and the residence are desperate for diversions beyond bingo and card games!

There are many life long Republicans with a ratio of 70%+ women to men. Bring your face guys, dress nice with a tie and shinny shoes. They will love you!

All we need is an entertaining theme of some sort. Something a little more than a dry political presentation while we make our key points. Anyone have any clever ideas?

This effort should also include follow up transportation on primary voting day.

I'm currently in South Florida and plan to kick this idea around at my next local meeting. It would be great to take a few ideas with me.

That is where I got all my voter signatures back in '07 to get Dr. Paul on the ballot. 200 in no time.

He won't cut your Social Security because he knows the system took so much of your money you coulldn't afford to do something better. But he'll stop it so your kids can do something better. Otherwise, you know this nation has been led down the garden path and you know in some ways it was a better nation back in the day. Ron Paul is the reset button. He, too, remembers what was better before, and in those specific ways he'll lead us back there. He fights every day for what we fought for in WWII.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Yep, I thought of this because elderly vote, and what better way to get those votes then to spend time with elderly and explain pauls position. Since Ron Paul has a massive ground game. Why not? Any updates on this??
    -Ron Paul

Show them this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWSFdVHOuu4

Be well groomed, well dressed, polite, and ready to answer questions relevant to the audience
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

What others do pales beside what YOU do.

Press on! - The r3VOLution continues...

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Make sure it's okay to put paper in mailboxes and on doors before you do. Some of the retirement home owners are nitty about that.

Bump
    -Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by GoApe4RonPaul2008 View Post
    Yep, I thought of this because elderly vote, and what better way to get those votes then to spend time with elderly and explain pauls position. Since Ron Paul has a massive ground game. Why not? Any updates on this??
    Good idea!

I think this is a very important issue. We should address the elderly. In every town/city etc. If anyone can organize this, it would be amazing in my opinion. Any thoughts on this? We should utilize the ground game.
    -Ron Paul

It should be easy to convert them since they can easily relate to Ron. He also needs to explain that he doesn't want to take away there medicare checks

Smile A great Idea,and a nice thing to do!!

This came up in the Chat room yesterday and was an inspirational idea. My folk's have a good friend in a retirement community here @ the beach that is gated. It is hard to gain access but not impossible. As well as getting the support of the resident's their may be a few donation's to be had to Ron Paul's campaign so by having some promotional item's to hand out or contribute w/donation envelope's (pre-stamped) you may be surprised at what may be accomplished by your visit to an old friend.

In my experience, the people who run these things have been very welcoming. We just called first, explained who we were, and asked if there was a good time we could visit to talk to the residents.

Generally, they are always looking for ways to add a little variety to the daily routine. I would think people could do a double touch. First go on an introductory visit, bringing slimjims/etc and talking to folk in the public areas (staff usually accompanied and introduced us to the groups at their various tables/areas). During that visit, make friends with the staff and suggest a "Movie Night" to show "For Liberty - Re Cut"...
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

Some tips EMT's learn about talking to the elderly that may help:

1) If they're in a wheelchair or smaller than you, sit down with them or crouch down. No one likes to talk up to someone.
    2) If you're younger than them, start off by saying your name and asking for theirs. If they tell you 'Mr or Mrs ---' make sure you call them by their proper name. If they tell you their first name, ask if you can call them that - NEVER ASSUME, and it's a first way to lose someone's respect.
    3) It's always a good idea with an older person to watch their body language - see if they are giving any signs they are having trouble hearing you (leaning in towards you, responding with one-word answers), in which case ask if you can speak louder, but once again NEVER ASSUME, and don't yell!
    4) Use simpler words, and if you bring literature make sure it's in large print to make it easier on them. Prepare to repeat yourself, a lot, and be patient.

If you go an talk to a senior citizen, often times they would just be happy someone's giving them the time of day - especially in nursing homes. But you can also visit neighbors, assisted living homes, and senior citizen recreation centers.

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jm1776 View Post
    Speaking from experience with my in-laws and elderly family members, assisted living centers are rich targets. Generally someone on staff fills the role of entertainment director. Both the entertainment directors and the residence are desperate for diversions beyond bingo and card games!

There are many life long Republicans with a ratio of 70%+ women to men. Bring your face guys, dress nice with a tie and shinny shoes. They will love you!

All we need is an entertaining theme of some sort. Something a little more than a dry political presentation while we make our key points. Anyone have any clever ideas?

This effort should also include follow up transportation on primary voting day.

I'm currently in South Florida and plan to kick this idea around at my next local meeting. It would be great to take a few ideas with me.
    ^^ We need to try and set up these meetings. Simply dropping off information doesn't have the same impact. So if you're a gentle sort of person who can dress sharp, you need to get out to your local retirement communities.
    "For those who think the fight for liberty can be won in a couple presidential elections, piss off!"

The fight for Liberty is a lifelong commitment that takes years of blood, sweat, and tears.
    Liberty isn't a Quick Service Drive through, if you have nothing to contribute, please do us all a favor and move along!

I went and canvassed retirement communities yesterday. Had mixed results. One was "No Politics", I did not push; another was "Then we would have to invite all the campaigns," she warmed up after I (facetiously) asked if I should call the other campaigns?, asking me to bring more info. The next two set me up to talk to their Activity Directors (who were not in). The final place I stopped at was a score, it was a dual complex where one half is more of a nursing home and they agreed to distribute information for us, (a Lutheran Home, I am going to get a 100 "Faith" fliers printed, and deliver those with a generic Slim Jim). The other half of that complex is more "independent living" and we now have a showing of "For Liberty - Recut" on the calendar for Thursday the 11th

I dressed nice (slacks, boots, and a collar; shaved my goatee off; wore no buttons/etc.), carried a clipboard and a copy of the film. Explained I was a grassroots activist supporting Ron Paul in the upcoming elections and that we have an entertaining grassroots produced documentary that we would like to reach out to their residents with...

Onward!
    Last edited by ronpaulhawaii; 08-02-2011 at 08:36 AM.

~ C.Coolidge

Just booked a second home for a showing Onward!

~ C.Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    He won't cut your Social Security because he knows the system took so much of your money you coulldn't afford to do something better. But he'll stop it so your kids can do something better. Otherwise, you know this nation has been led down the garden path and you know in some ways it was a better nation back in the day. Ron Paul is the reset button. He, too, remembers what was better before, and in those specific ways he'll lead us back there. He fights every day for what we fought for in WWII.
    WIN
    +rep

Quote Originally Posted by ronpaulhawaii View Post
    shaved my goatee off;
    +Rep for the willing sacrifice of the goatee for this great cause! That's dedication!

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    This month of August, many congressional politicians are conducting their townhall meetings. Many even at retirement facilities/communities... they are saying the same thing now to their constituents.

May I add... Other Congressional politicians are now saying the same thing NOW, but these are the very same politicians that spent like drunken sailors and have borrowed TRILLIONS against your Retirement safety net aka Social Security. Your retirement savings account is filled with government IOUs from politicians spending on foreign wars, campaign donation projects, military weaponry, nation building, and $10's of Billions each year in aid to foreign countries.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

bump for importance!
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

Quote Originally Posted by GoApe4RonPaul2008 View Post
    see title . I think this is the best way to reach older folks.
    Any thoughts people?
    Excellent idea!

Quote Originally Posted by ronpaulhawaii View Post
    In my experience, the people who run these things have been very welcoming. We just called first, explained who we were, and asked if there was a good time we could visit to talk to the residents.

Generally, they are always looking for ways to add a little variety to the daily routine. I would think people could do a double touch. First go on an introductory visit, bringing slimjims/etc and talking to folk in the public areas (staff usually accompanied and introduced us to the groups at their various tables/areas). During that visit, make friends with the staff and suggest a "Movie Night" to show "For Liberty - Re Cut"...
    Great work RPH!
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just read through this and was wondering how the showings of For Liberty uncut went?

I agree. This is the best way to reach seniors, and seniors love talking with the youth. Visit them a day or two before your state primaries or caucuses. Talk with them and listen to them, and be polite and well-groomed, well-dressed.