Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I disagree with Ron Paul...

I disagree with Ron Paul...

on the draft. It's such a rare thing to happen anyway, but if it does happen, it's for the right reasons. I doubt we could have effectively taken on the Germans in World War II without the draft. I believe if you are born in this country, and you are given all the opportunities of this country, you owe it to the United States to serve when it NEEDS you to protect the freedoms of the people. I also completely disagree with his parallel to slavery. Slavery is an unpaid, lifetime duty to serve for an individual. A draft is a paid, temporary duty to serve to protect the freedoms of all individuals. If it's serving our national security interests (not an aggressive war, but a defensive one) and we just don't have the resources to fight, why shouldn't there be a draft?

How do you all feel about this? I'm definitely not in favor of this one and I don't understand his reasoning. Although I also believe the possibility of it ever happening again is very slim, so for that reason I don't believe it's a huge issue.

I also want to point out that it should be made more fair, however.
    Last edited by ForLiberty2012; 07-08-2011 at 04:49 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't remember his stance on the draft, but I do remember that he said that he would only be for it if they start with the oldest eligible draftee and work their way down to the young 18 year olds...so that the young kids would be the last ones drafted. Personally, I think that is a pretty smart way to insure there would never actually be a draft.

I am anti-draft myself. If it gets that bad, a draft wouldn't be necessary. People will defend their home. They only must be drafted to fight abroad.

By the way...the American gun owner is the largest armed group in the world. If Canada gets ballsy and invades , they are not *only* dealing with our government sanctioned armed forces.
    Last edited by hillertexas; 07-08-2011 at 04:53 PM.
    R[∃vo˩]ution

I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

A cause worth fighting for (like our Revolutionary war) will have the volunteers. But you can't preserve freedom by taking it away, and there's nothing temporary about sacrificing thousands of lives by force.
    Original supporter of Ron Paul since 2007 and lifelong supporter of liberty and the Constitution. I stand with Rand.

The great thing about liberty is that we don't always have to agree on everything.

3 words...Gulf of Tonkin

As others have said, a worthy cause and a defensive war would certainly draw enough soldiers to the cause.
    Ron Paul & Liberty - It's like trying to hold a beach ball under water

I just think that there are times where it can be necessary.... you cannot predict the future, so to say we should get rid of the draft is just ignorant, in my opinion.

So slavery is ok if it serves the national interest? That's a slippery slope, my friend.

How much does this issue matter right now? Currently there is no draft.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ForLiberty2012 View Post
    I just think that there are times where it can be necessary.... you cannot predict the future, so to say we should get rid of the draft is just ignorant, in my opinion.
    Did you read any of the refutations above? Some of them were pretty good.

Are you saying that if we had a cause worth fighting for, that people wouldn't volunteer to fight? Especially if it's a defensive war, which should be the only wars that we fight. I'm quite sure we would have plenty of people signing up if there was a real threat.

You also said:

if it does happen, it's for the right reasons.
    Really? Because Vietnam seemed like all the wrong reasons to me.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Supporting the draft = admitting you belong to the state. If the state is making slaves of us what do I have to fight for?

11 million people were drafted in World War II... If you've researched that war at all, you would know we needed each and every one of those men and who knows where we would be today if we just sat back and said, sorry World we don't have enough people to help you out.

Personally, I wish we had stayed out of WW1 and WW2. If we had stayed neutral, what harm could have happened? Did we need to lose so many of our people? I know Pearl harbor got bombed, and I don't pretend to know all the answers. But I feel that the right course of action would have been to beef up defense, and arrange the existing military into defensive positions all around the states. We would have only suffered the losses that we suffered in Hawaii.

Maybe Germany could have won some ground all over Europe, maybe it would have been a tragedy, but that's life. We didn't need to send our own there to die too. Thats stupid.

Draft is WRONG. If the government stopped trying to regulate gun ownership, then our country would be more than prepared to deal with an actual true threat to our safety. I am confident that every man and many women would lay down fire in the general direction of the enemy if the enemy came here.

Making a Draft to get us involved overseas in someone else's war is wrong.

The draft only exists so people will be forced to fight for our government in offensive wars.

You never have to force a free people to defend their homeland....just like you never have to force a person to defend his family if they were attacked.

Reagan was right and Ron Paul is right.

11 million people were drafted in World War II... If you've researched that war at all, you would know we needed each and every one of those men and who knows where we would be today if we just sat back and said, sorry World we don't have enough people to help you out.

Are you serious with a post like this? You think Wilsonian progressivism was good?

its simple really.

Drafts are used by tyrants, kings, and baron's to advance their own agendas. Our leaders should spend all their energy to keep us out of wars, instead they take it upon themselves as having the power to reshape the whole world and never risking their own lives.

There are numerous examples throught history of armies consisting of volunteers defeating armies of conscripts and mercenaries.

The fact is, if we restore the ideals of our countries founding there will be sufficient armies ready to defend it at a moments notice.

How do you all feel about this?
    My government does not own my body, I own my government.

If one supports a draft because it comes during a war that defends freedom, then who fights the war against the people who came up with the draft?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wars are never fought to protect freedom.

Revolutions never mandate participation.

- The draft is slavery because it means sacrificing your life for the state.

- Just wars never require a draft. There will be plenty of volunteers.

- The draft violates 14th amendment's Equal Protection under the law as women don't have to enlist.

End of story. $#@! the draft.
    "It is not enough these days to simply question authority. You must speak with it, too."
    -Taylor Mali

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Really? Because Vietnam seemed like all the wrong reasons to me.
    The president can do whatever they want militarily. That's like saying guns kill people. The fact that there is the selective service doesn't mean it's wrong.... but a draft can be used for the wrong reasons, like a gun. It's in place to serve our best interest (national defense), just like you have a right to own a gun. But to say we shouldn't have a draft because a president might abuse it (parallel: shouldn't let people own guns cause they might kill people) is the wrong argument to make. Or to say one president made a mistake, so we shouldn't accept the notion of having any president.

stupidest thing I've heard on the forum in a while.

- rep
    Please consider donating to the Mises Caucus today. We are TAKING OVER the LP.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

Your recurring donation is what helps us to set these ideas into motion.

Donate today at www.TakeHumanAction.com

The president can do whatever they want militarily.
    According to the Constitution, congress is supposed to declare war and vote for funding. The President merely directs the war.

That's like saying guns kill people. The fact that there is the selective service doesn't mean it's wrong.... but a draft can be used for the wrong reasons, like a gun. It's in place to serve our best interest (national defense), just like you have a right to own a gun. But to say we shouldn't have a draft because a president might abuse it (parallel: shouldn't let people own guns cause they might kill people) is the wrong argument to make.
    The question is, if we are fighting a just war, why would we need a draft? Not having a draft is an excellent check against an over-reaching government. It allows citizens at least some say in what our military is participating in.

Or to say one president made a mistake, so we shouldn't accept the notion of having any president.
    That would be better than a draft, imo.
    Last edited by dannno; 07-08-2011 at 05:17 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I doubt we could have effectively taken on the Germans in World War II without the draft.
    You're probably correct about this.

But, given that the draft is evil, this is an argument against FDR's war, not for the draft.

The same could be said for a lot of other evil things the regime in DC did to facilitate its waging of that war, including taxes, price controls, rationing, embargos, and other methods of exercising totalitarian control over the American people.

If you were alive during WW2, and if you wanted to contribute to a portion of your wealth to the cause of fighting against the Nazis, then the appropriate way for you to do that would have been to donate however much you wanted to the Churchill regime, or some other organization involved in that fight, without forcing other people to join you.

individual liberty comes first

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1836 View Post
    The great thing about liberty is that we don't always have to agree on everything.

We do have to agree on the non-aggression principal. This guy would forcibly enslave us to fight for the government and it is quite disturbing. By supporting the draft he supports using violence against people who would refuse to ever fight for the government such as myself. He clearly does not support liberty at all.

Draft? Uh, NO way. I'll be right here protecting my life, family, and property should anyone decide to attack me/us.

The president can do whatever they want militarily. That's like saying guns kill people. The fact that there is the selective service doesn't mean it's wrong.... but a draft can be used for the wrong reasons, like a gun. It's in place to serve our best interest (national defense), just like you have a right to own a gun. But to say we shouldn't have a draft because a president might abuse it (parallel: shouldn't let people own guns cause they might kill people) is the wrong argument to make. Or to say one president made a mistake, so we shouldn't accept the notion of having any president.
    You are missing the point. A JUSTIFIED WAR would NOT need a draft. Americans would be begging to assist defend their homeland. Are you getting this point? Or do you agree that we need to topple all the bad regimes in the world?

on the draft. It's such a rare thing to happen anyway, but if it does happen, it's for the right reasons. I doubt we could have effectively taken on the Germans in World War II without the draft. I believe if you are born in this country, and you are given all the opportunities of this country, you owe it to the United States to serve when it NEEDS you to protect the freedoms of the people. I also completely disagree with his parallel to slavery. Slavery is an unpaid, lifetime duty to serve for an individual. A draft is a paid, temporary duty to serve to protect the freedoms of all individuals. If it's serving our national security interests (not an aggressive war, but a defensive one) and we just don't have the resources to fight, why shouldn't there be a draft?

How do you all feel about this? I'm definitely not in favor of this one and I don't understand his reasoning. Although I also believe the possibility of it ever happening again is very slim, so for that reason I don't believe it's a huge issue.

I also want to point out that it should be made more fair, however.
    The issue doesn't matter much right now. At the moment, there's no need to defend the nation and there's no real threat to the nation that requires a draft. If Ron Paul stated that he would oppose a draft during the Second World War, then I would have to disagree with him there.

Quote Originally Posted by mport1 View Post
    We do have to agree on the non-aggression principal. This guy would forcibly enslave us to fight for the government and it is quite disturbing.
    Well...I don't agree with the non-aggression principle on its own terms, but I still reject aggression and endorse liberty. So, I don't think that is the defining issue here. But I agree about the slavery to the government part of your post.
    Last edited by Sola_Fide; 07-08-2011 at 05:23 PM.

No thank you, involuntary servitude.

I will however pick up a gun to defend against invasion.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

"Every member of the State ought diligently to read and to study the constitution of his country ... by knowing their rights, they will sooner perceive when they are violated and be the better prepared to defend and assert them."
    ~Chief-Justice John Jay, 1777

U.S. Constitution

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast