Thread: Class Assignment for Republican Primary Season

Class Assignment for Republican Primary Season

Write on the whiteboard at least twenty times:

"This is a Republican Primary and we must target likely Republican voters or convert other party's voters to be committed to vote in the Republican primary for Ron Paul."

Nothing else matters. We must win the Republican Primary. Do not alienate other candidates because many of them will fall out of the race statistically before it is over and we want to be their second choice by election day.

Keep the message simple, keep your language clean, dress nicely at events and be gracious winners and losers. Help put out the chairs and clean up after the event is over because we are ambassadors for Ron Paul wherever we go.

You are "running" for a delegate slot as you go because that is part of the process. Get to know the rules in your state and make friends and influence LIKELY REPUBLICAN VOTERS!

Thank you for all you are doing~

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thank you for saying this.

Quote Originally Posted by acainfonet View Post

"This is a Republican Primary and we must target likely Republican voters or convert other party's voters to be committed to vote in the Republican primary for Ron Paul."

Nothing else matters. We must win the Republican Primary. Do not alienate other candidates because many of them will fall out of the race statistically before it is over and we want to be their second choice by election day.

Keep the message simple, keep your language clean, dress nicely at events and be gracious winners and losers. Help put out the chairs and clean up after the event is over because we are ambassadors for Ron Paul wherever we go.

You are "running" for a delegate slot as you go because that is part of the process. Get to know the rules in your state and make friends and influence LIKELY REPUBLICAN VOTERS!

The unfortunate nature of this is that it ignores Dr. Pauls stongest support group: the independent voter. I was always registered independent before Dr. Paul.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 06-28-2011 at 07:58 AM.

Good info! Thank you!
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    The unfortunate nature of this is that it ignores Dr. Pauls stongest support group: the independent voter. I was always registered independent before Dr. Paul.
    I don't think so. We're here, right? If you mean independent voters who aren't on board yet, we can work on them in the general. The focus right now is to target the republican base and steer them to Dr. Paul.

Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.

In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    I don't think so. We're here, right? If you mean independent voters who aren't on board yet, we can work on them in the general. The focus right now is to target the republican base and steer them to Dr. Paul.
    Note: I didn't say the conclusion was incorrect, just that it is unfortunate. I don't recall polls on this site but i figure the majority here were not likely republican primary voters prior to 2007.

Note: I didn't say the conclusion was incorrect, just that it is unfortunate. I don't recall polls on this site but i figure the majority here were not likely republican primary voters prior to 2007.
    Interesting point. However, he can't win anything if he doesn't have the republican vote in the primaries.

Interesting point. However, he can't win anything if he doesn't have the republican vote in the primaries.
    The Republican vote isn't some static granite monolith.

My mother never registered as a Republican in all of her six decades as a registered voter. Until now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Include me in the non-republican group.

However, the point of the OP is still valid. If you're working on independents, you have to get them to convert. (This was an incredibly difficult decision for me so I know it will be for others as well)

Regardless, trashing the opposition is counter-productive. May I suggest that if you run into someone who is supporting another candidate, that instead of trying to push Paul instead of that person, you push Paul as the next best thing. That way, when their 1st choice is no longer available, they'll be more open to Paul than to start looking again.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    The Republican vote isn't some static granite monolith.

My mother never registered as a Republican in all of her six decades as a registered voter. Until now.
    Are you suggesting we don't target republicans during the primaries? The OP is talking tactics here. IMO, it makes more sense to court the republican vote right now than the dems, or indys. We're talking timing. And I'm not saying ignore them, because as you may be aware, I'd like to see a grassroots AD campaign with the ultimate goal of reaching all walks.

That is a lot to write on the whiteboard.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    If you're working on independents, you have to get them to convert. (This was an incredibly difficult decision for me so I know it will be for others as well)
    Very, very good point. Remember, party is just a vehicle, as Ron Paul said. And no change of registration will restrict your ability to vote for whomever you wish in the general election at all. This will help. But, yes, this can be like pulling teeth. Not one of these people wants to be associated with neocons, even temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Regardless, trashing the opposition is counter-productive. May I suggest that if you run into someone who is supporting another candidate, that instead of trying to push Paul instead of that person, you push Paul as the next best thing. That way, when their 1st choice is no longer available, they'll be more open to Paul than to start looking again.
    Outstanding. And it may not be a matter of 'no longer available', so don't base your salesmanship on whether you think the candidate will last or not. Set Ron Paul up as second choice and we may capitalize when we ultimately discredit Choice No. One on some key issue to that person later. And if you express a little sympathy for why they like who they like, you'll elicit more sympathy for why you like who you like. And a little sympathy can go a long way. Even if their first choice doesn't ultimately discredit himself or herself, the person can mull on your positives for Ron and decide later that these things are perhaps more important than their own concerns.

Reagan got a long way on 'Thou shalt not speak ill of another Republican.' Don't ever forget that these are usually serious team players, and they like serious team players.

For the most part, we're better off appealing to those closest to ourselves in ideology. Which means longtime Republicans and longtime independents or liberals should definitely taarget different groups. More than that, they must use very different tactics. And neither side should for a moment forget that we need both sides of this pincers movement to get this job done.

Are you suggesting we don't target republicans during the primaries?
    No ma'am, I most certainly am not. And I believe I understood Sandy perfectly, or at least enough to agree with her wholeheartedly. I'm saying we must both win over Republicans and create Republicans--even if they're only temporary Republicans. Which is what I mean by a pincers movement.

I might be hijacking the thread, but I don't think I'm undermining the OP's excellent advice at all. Every effort is important. And undoubtedly some here will be capable enough to use different tactics on different people and win both types over. But not everyone is that flexible. Regardless of that, we do need to recognize that we have different potential supporters out there who need different sales techniques.

If we can't have a 'mutual admiration society', who can? Let us win over those who we're best at reaching and congratulate each other for our respective wins every chance we get. And maybe, just maybe, get organized enough to say, hey, I'm not the one to talk to you about Ron Paul, but I know someone who is, and if you're at all interested in being informed about him I think you'll get along with this friend of mine better than me and I'd love your permission to put him or her in touch with you...
    Last edited by acptulsa; 06-28-2011 at 08:50 AM.

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 04-09-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Lucky for me, I am surrounded by floor to ceiling whiteboard on all 4 sides. And the wife had said I was "crazy" for doing it. Guess this shows her!
    Don't get writer's cramp.

No ma'am, I most certainly am not. And I believe I understood Sandy perfectly, or at least enough to agree with her wholeheartedly. I'm saying we must both win over Republicans and create Republicans--even if they're only temporary Republicans. Which is what I mean by a pincers movement.

I might be hijacking the thread, but I don't think I'm undermining the OP's excellent advice at all. Every effort is important. And undoubtedly some here will be capable enough to use different tactics on different people and win both types over. But not everyone is that flexible. Regardless of that, we do need to recognize that we have different potential supporters out there who need different sales techniques.

If we can't have a 'mutual admiration society', who can? Let us win over those who we're best at reaching and congratulate each other for our respective wins every chance we get.
    Will do!

Paul need to start taking shots at Bachmann and Romney hardcore, take down the frontrunners and become the tea partier's vote, but he should try and become the collective voice of the other candidates trying to catch up. He should try and highlight his similarities between Gingrich and Cain on the federal reserve and gold standard respectively and with huntsman on the war. These guys havent got a chance, but if Ron can lead a group attack on the frontrunners he can gain respectability among the party base and be a likely candidate to overthrow them. We should have the same strategy as grassroots activists, dont bitch and moan about gingrich stealing Paul's platform, simply bring up the issue 'what about what Gingrich or Paul are advocating..." then talk about auditing the fed. This is how I brought my dad around, who loved Gingrich in the 90s

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't know about all of that. There's a lot to be said of Reagan's dictum: 'Thou shalt not speak ill of another Republican'. Republicans are, first and foremost, team players, and respond better to people they sympathize with than those who attack people they choose to misplace faith in. Read the whole thread, already.

We're the grassroots. We're much closer to the souce of mud than Ron Paul is. And Hannity knows we can sling stuff...
    Last edited by acptulsa; 06-28-2011 at 09:36 AM.

Grand Old Bump.

I feel old it was a blackboard when I was in school

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    I feel old it was a blackboard when I was in school
    We called 'em 'chalkboards' because ours were green. How will the children of today ever suvive not knowing the lovely smell of chalk dust?

*gag*

We called 'em 'chalkboards' because ours were green. How will the children of today ever suvive not knowing the lovely smell of chalk dust?
    *gag*
    On the bright side they get to enjoy the lovely smell of dryerase markers.

This truly is a ticky business, selling one set of potential supporters with one technique and using a completely different style to win over the others, without forgetting we're on the same side. And interesting to see how the left flank of this pincers has got better morale right now than the right flank (tireless longtime activists like Sandra excepted). But this is the path to the revolution we so desperately need. And neither side can let up or give up now.

The mere fact that the 'other side' exists is damaging to both sides. This, of course, is a result of years of partisan division created by the likes of Gingrich (and Tom DeLay, and other cohorts of his) on the one side, and people like Pelosi and Boxer on the other. How do we help people rise above it?

We have got to push corporatism v. We, the People somehow. Anyhow, in fact.

I seem to recall a poll from a few months ago that showed most of the respondents were Republicans, neoconservatives, or conservatives before they were Ron Paul supporters. I don't really recall the exact wording, but it is an interesting question. Amazing that the ideas of liberty bring some many people from so many places under the same tent.

*gag*
    The good ole days! When I managed to not cause a ruckus in class, I got the privilege of going outside to beat the erasers out. I got my first sugar on an eraser beating assignment.

Well said comrade. All valid points, but one of the easiest points (that goes a long way with people) is the way you dress. I know it may sound petty, but many GOP voters will not give you a second thought if you present yourself poorly. A facebook friend posted some pictures from some event this week and everyone there looked like a freak show. That's fine if that's your thing, but understand that our target audience doesn't like it and would eat their young before they would engage you about Ron Paul looking like that.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    http://www.iycki.org

Pro-life conservative Constitutionalist libertarian.

I stand with Rand.