Thread: Ron Paul Issues Budget Statement A four-part statement on restoring fiscal discipline

Ron Paul Issues Budget Statement A four-part statement on restoring fiscal discipline

Ron Paul Issues Budget Statement
    A four-part statement on restoring fiscal discipline

LAKE JACKSON, Texas -- Today, 2012 GOP presidential candidate Ron Paul issued a statement on what his budget priorities will be if elected. See statement below.

“As President, I will not be able to waive a magic wand and solve all of our problems overnight. I will have to work with Congress and build consensus from the American People.

“But, there are several things that I will do right away to strengthen the fight for Constitutional government.
    “First, I will veto any spending bills that contribute to an unbalanced budget.

“During these tough times, the American people are tightening their belts and making sacrifices to make ends meet. So should government.
    “Second, I will veto any spending bill that contains funding for Planned Parenthood, facilities that perform abortion and all government family planning schemes.
    “Like millions of Americans, I believe that innocent life deserves protection and I am deeply offended by abortion. It is unconscionable to me that fellow Pro-Life Americans are forced to fund abortion through their tax dollars.

“As a Congressman, I’ve never voted for any budget that includes funding for Planned Parenthood. Instead, I’ve introduced the Taxpayers’ Freedom of Conscience Act to cut off all taxpayer funding of abortions, so-called “family planning” services and international abortionists.
    “Third, I will direct my administration to cease any further implementation of ObamaCare.

“And fourth, I will on day one of my administration begin to repeal by Executive Order unconstitutional and burdensome regulations on American business. I will be the first President to shrink the size of the Federal Register. We must create a favorable regulatory environment for U.S. business. This cannot be stressed enough.”

Read more: http://www.sunherald.com/2011/06/20/...#ixzz1Ppsih0ff
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But, there are several things that I will do right away to strengthen the fight for Constitutional government.
    The thing is, a great many people do not even know what constitutional government means to them and to their pocketbook. In other words, many do not understand that "A" will cause "B". What they want to hear is that he knows what to do to turnaround the economy.
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 06-20-2011 at 10:57 AM.

I Like this.
    Terminus tela viaticus!

Whats with all this family planning crap?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackPeterSchiff View Post
    Whats with all this family planning crap?
    Iowa my friend.
    For Liberty - Feature-length doc about the 2008 R3V | Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Iowa my friend.
    Oh. I get it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    musicmax

This statement is proof that this is not a serious campaign. A typo in the first line, declaring Planned Parenthood funding a budget-buster, ignoring the financial crisis and its attendant bailouts and corruption, and a pathetic blanket deregulation statement. This reads like it was written in about three minutes. One sentence on "Obamacare" but three paragraphs on Planned Parenthood?

Maximum level giver in the '08 race who isn't giving a penny this year until RP uses the millions he's gotten to buy Jesse Benton a brain or a one-way ticket to Siberia.

Quote Originally Posted by musicmax View Post
    This statement is proof that this is not a serious campaign. A typo in the first line, declaring Planned Parenthood funding a budget-buster, ignoring the financial crisis and its attendant bailouts and corruption, and a pathetic blanket deregulation statement. This reads like it was written in about three minutes. One sentence on "Obamacare" but three paragraphs on Planned Parenthood?

Maximum level giver in the '08 race who isn't giving a penny this year until RP uses the millions he's gotten to buy Jesse Benton a brain or a one-way ticket to Siberia.

Lol do you know anything about Iowa voters???
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

musicmax

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    Do they spell "wave" differently from the rest of the English-speaking world?

Do they spell "wave" differently from the rest of the English-speaking world?
    Yes. I thought everyone knew that.

That Ron goes into all that goes to show that he IS in it to win.

Mind you, by the next
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Why is waiving a magic wand bad? Wouldn't you want someone who waives a magic wand?
    для каждого злодея есть герой

I think that since a lot of people know that the Federal Reserve is Ron Paul's pet issue, issuing a statement like this will bolster credibility with the Republican primary goers. Keep in mind, we haven't hit the General Election process yet and if he did this then, I would be worried. With Iowa and SC both in the future, obtaining the image of being a true social conservative is key, particularly in Iowa and here in my home-state of SC. If people have any suspicion of Ron Paul being Pro-Choice that will sink his campaign here VERY fast. I'm sure that's the case in places in Iowa. We have to have the social conservatives to get the nomination, as I don't think we can bank on independents and democrats jumping ship to vote for Ron Paul in the primary (I'm sure it will happen, but I'm not banking on it).

People think the comment of Obama-care is just pandering to the base, but I disagree. After reading his chapter on healthcare, this is entirely consistent with his beliefs as he wants more competition and less inflation in healthcare.Obamacare represents a huge increase in government power that will stifle the economy, that cannot be stated enough. With everything else? entirely consistent with what his beliefs are and what he believes the role of the executive branch should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    Since when has Ron Paul been one to pander to voters?

Doesnt make much sense to focus on planned parenthood when there are so many other programs that spend so much more than planned parenthood.
    Last edited by Fr3shjive; 06-20-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr3shjive View Post
    Since when has Ron Paul been one to pander to voters?
    To me pandering means saying whatever you need to say to win, whether you believe it or not. Ron Paul never does that. But you can TAILOR your message to your audience and still be perfectly principled and true to your convictions. That isn't pandering.

Talk to Iowa about getting government out of abortion and education. Talk to California about ending the drug war and the aggressive foreign policy. That isn't pandering. That's just smart.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    To me pandering means saying whatever you need to say to win, whether you believe it or not. Ron Paul never does that. But you can TAILOR your message to your audience and still be perfectly principled and true to your convictions. That isn't pandering.

Talk to Iowa about getting government out of abortion and education. Talk to California about ending the drug war and the aggressive foreign policy. That isn't pandering. That's just smart.

This. He is using all of his positions in the right time and area of the country. Or at least I hope that's what he's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post

Exactly. He's saying what he needs to say at the right time.

I am with you on this. I max out last time but I'll be damned if I am going to give a cent until I see some real serious efforts...the press release is a start BUT come on, at least proof-read it and have some good content.> E for effort...

And fourth, I will on day one of my administration begin to repeal by Executive Order unconstitutional and burdensome regulations on American business. I will be the first President to shrink the size of the Federal Register.
    Anybody else troubled by this sentence? I didn't think Ron was a big fan of legislating through executive orders.

musicmax

Quote Originally Posted by pulp8721 View Post
    Anybody else troubled by this sentence? I didn't think Ron was a big fan of legislating through executive orders.
    Some regulations are written by Congress; some are written by Executive Branch agencies. Quite a few laws include language empowering "the Secretary" (as in Secretary of State, Secretary of HHS, etc.) to issue rules to implement the policy that Congress enacted via legislation.

As an example, the original TARP proposal stated "The Secretary is authorized to take such actions as the Secretary deems necessary to carry out the authorities in this Act, including, without limitation... issuing such regulations and other guidance as may be necessary or appropriate to define terms or carry out the authorities of this Act."

Other Congressional laws (quoting from Wikipedia here) "specifically delegate to the President some degree of discretionary power".

My assumption is that President Paul would use a multi-pronged strategy to carry out the repeal of regulations:

1. Appoint Secretaries of like mind who would be charged with decreasing rather than increasing their agencies' reach.
    2. Use the Executive Order process (EO's have been issued since 1789, so it's not like they're a modern contrivance invented by Bushbama) in conjunction with the discretionary power that Congress granted via certain pieces of legislation.
    3. Directly challenge, either via non-enforcement or via legal action, the constitutionality of regulations explicitly legislated by Congress.

As with most of this press release, this section was worded extremely poorly and merely provides ammunition to Paul's critics who charge that he desires to further empower "big business" via "total deregulation".