Thread: Bomb Iran, majority of Americans says in new poll

Bomb Iran, majority of Americans says in new poll

I suppose that we shouldn't be surprised:

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Bomb_I...says_1030.html
    When all else fails,
    there's always
    www.escapeartist.com

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is this a Luntz poll that asks something like "If Iran bombed us, would you support bombing them"?

I'm 100% sure the majority of Americans would say yes.

I'm sorry but if the Poll is genuine and 52 percent of Americans
    actually are for bombing Iran, then the most powerful nation in
    the world is incredibly dumb. At least 52 percent of the country.

They didn't learn from Iraq .... Unfrigginbelievable ...

Yes, I'd say that it's stunning. This is along the lines of 60% of the population (or whatever the actual figure is) supporting spying on U.S. citizens.

We really MUST do away with public re-education as we know it today.
    When all else fails,
    there's always
    www.escapeartist.com

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I'm sorry but if the Poll is genuine and 52 percent of Americans
    actually are for bombing Iran, then the most powerful nation in
    the world is incredibly dumb. At least 52 percent of the country.

They didn't learn from Iraq .... Unfrigginbelievable ...
    I read the article and didnt see any of the poll questions listed.

I call BS on this poll

You get what you ask for. These are the actual questions.

5. Based on what you know about Iran's development of a nuclear program, how likely do you think it
    is that the U.S. will be involved in a military strike against Iran before the next presidential election?

Very likely 16.9%
    Somewhat likely 36.1%
    Somewhat unlikely 19.9%
    Not at all likely 18.6%
    Not Sure 8.6%

6. Based on what you know about Iran's development of a nuclear program, how
    supportive are you of a U.S. military strike to prevent Iran from building a nuclear weapon?

Very Supportive 26.1%
    Somewhat supportive 26.3%
    Not Very Supportive 14.4%
    Not at all Supportive 27.4%
    Not Sure 5.8%

7. If U.S. leaders decide to launch a military strike against Iran, do you believe that it should be done before the end of
    President Bush's term in office, or do you believe the U.S. should wait to strike until after a new President is in office?

Before the end of Bush's term in office 22.6%
    Wait for the next President to attack 28.4%
    Should not attack 28.8%
    Not Sure 20.1%

8. Regardless of whether or not you expect the U.S. to attack Iran to disable its nuclear
    program, which presidential candidate do you believe would be best equipped to deal with Iran?

Too many results to post

9. How likely do you think it is that the U.S. will suffer another significant terrorist
    attack on U.S. soil comparable to the attacks of September 11, 2001?

Very likely 27.3%
    Somewhat likely 40.4%
    Somewhat unlikely 18.1%
    Not at all likely 11.4%
    Not Sure 2.8%

10. In what timeframe do you believe it is most likely that the U.S. will suffer another significant terrorist attack on U.S. soil comparable to the attacks of September 11, 2001?

Before the next presidential election 9.3%
    Between one and three years 30.9%
    Between three and five years 22.2%
    Longer than five years 15%
    Never 10.7%
    Not Sure 11.9%

Make what you will of it.

Bush and Cheney should have been impeached by now. The fact that they have not been has given them license to do what they please at any cost. 90% of congress should also be impeached for lacking the spine to stand up to a despot and carry out their sworn oath to uphold and defend the constitution.

Stupid polls like this will just puff up the white house with "proof" that they are right. The media should also be held accountable for, deliberately or not, spreading propaganda as if it were fact.

This whole thing sickens me.

does iran even have an airforce?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It\s a totally leading question that assumes the answerer "is supportive" and it's only a question of "how supportive"

The question should have been, "do you support bombing Iran?" with these three possible answers:

1. Support
    2. Don't support
    3. Don't know
    Last edited by johngr; 10-30-2007 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by freedominnumbers View Post
    "Based on what you know about Iran's development of a nuclear program....
    That's the catch: those polled who know that Iran’s nuclear program is legal under the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty and that there are UN inspectors on the ground verifying Iranian compliance will be excluded from the poll. But those Americans who listen to the media propaganda that Iran’s “nuclear program” is a threat because they are actively trying to develop a nuclear weapon will be included in the poll.

The difference between bombing Iran and our invasion of Iraq is that Iran has Russia on its side.

Horribly (mis)leading:

5. Based on what you know about Iran's development of a nuclear program, how likely do you think it is that the U.S. will be involved in a military strike against Iran before the next presidential election?

6. Based on what you know about Iran's development of a nuclear program, how supportive are you of a U.S. military strike to prevent Iran from building a nuclear weapon?

(emphasis added)

The wording makes it sound like it's a given that Iran is about to build nukes, and soon. Then, it implies that a "U.S. military strike" is needed to "prevent" this, and (this is key) the question in #6 asks "how supportive" you are of the military in preventing Iran from building nukes, almost assuming it is going to happen.

Besides the deception above, a lot of people will say they're supportive just because they always want to be supportive of the military ("support the troops").

Truly disgusting. Classic example of manipulation of the public through "polling".

luntze'd - trying to persuade another person('s) using misleading evidence.