Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bitcoin Market Compromised, Currency Value Crashes

Bitcoin Market Compromised, Currency Value Crashes

Bitcoin Market Compromised, Currency Value Crashes

Gather
    June 20, 2011

It has been a wild few weeks for the Internet-based currency Bitcoin, culminating with problems at the currency's largest exchange which led to a massive selloff over the weekend. These foreseeable issues with a unregulated exchange system didn't deter some investors from buying the currency at its high, but they may be left holding a near-worthless currency, at least compared to the value a few days ago.
    The Bitcoin has been an interesting experiment for the past year or so, but things got serious earlier this summer. A wave of interest in the currency, sparked largely by the currency's acceptance in online black markets, jumped the price from a few pennies to over $30 in a matter of weeks. While this jump seemed like good news and validation for the currency, those types of prices bring attention that an unregulated currency, being traded on unprotected exchanges, can't handle.

These problems led directly to exchange issues this weekend, as MTGOX, the largest of the Bitcoin exchanges, has an admin's account compromised and a list of their entire user base was circulated on the web. This caused a massive selloff of the currency, with the price dropping from $17 to pennies in a matter of hours.

This type of problem was neither surprising, nor unpredictable, and shows that while government-backed currency may have its problems, some regulation is required when dealing with financial matters. Unregulated markets are prone to selloffs and quick value changes as their is no way to stabilize the currency in the midst of the crisis.

According to the MTGOX website, the problem has been located and fixed. All exchanges during the crash will be rolled back, meaning it is like they never happened, and the Bitcoin will magically be worth $17.50 again. So much for an absence of currency manipulation. Don't expect it to stay at those levels for very long.

This incident only compounds on the problems the Bitcoin has had over the past few days, with a $500,000 theft deriving from the unsecure nature of how the currency is stored on computers, and a trojan that seeks to steal the currency right off your computer.

SOURCE:
    http://technology.gather.com/viewArt...81474979477786

More News:

Compromised system blamed for Bitcoin collapse and data breach
    http://www.thetechherald.com/article...nd-data-breach

Bitcoin collapses on malicious trade; Mt Gox scrambling to raise the Titanic
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06...ollapse_again/

Bitcoin value plummets as main exchange is hacked
    http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/on...s-as-main.html

The Bitcoin Trials Continue: Mt. Gox Exchange Collapses Due To Compromised Account
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...VcH_story.html

Bitcoin value crashes after exchange compromised
    http://www.finextra.com/News/Fullsto...wsitemid=22676

So, That's the End of Bitcoin Then
    http://blogs.forbes.com/timworstall/...-bitcoin-then/

After the Crash, What's Next for Bitcoin?
    http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...itcoin/240696/

Symantec Uncovers Bitcoin-Stealing Trojan
    http://www.techworld.com.au/article/...ealing_trojan/

Bitcoin Prices Plummet on Hacked Exchange
    http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/06/gox/

Everything Is Going Wrong At The Same Time For Controversial Virtual Currency Bitcoin
    http://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-hack-2011-6

BitCoin HackCrash Raises Doubts About Viability of Virtual Currency
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/43464477

Bitcoin freefall: the market plummets as large amounts of bitcoins are sold off at rock-bottom prices - bigger circles correspond to larger transactions (Image: Mt. Gox)
    Last edited by FrankRep; 06-20-2011 at 10:57 AM.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    FrankrRep, this has been discussed since yesterday in its own thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post3350802

Please, people is still complaining about a flood of bitcoin thread. And you keep opening threads for each different article instead of using the Bitcoin thread, even opening two threads for the same news.

This is petty big news. It needed a new thread.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Big news if you have bitcoin or maybe even if you spent an hour or two researching what it is about. But for 99.9% of the population it is not big news.

http://consumerist.com/2011/06/how-h...erability.html

How Hackers Stole 200,000+ Citi Accounts Just By Changing Numbers In The URL
    By Ben Popken on June 14, 2011 3:00 PM

(Sebastian Anthony)

Details have emerged has to how hackers were able to steal over 200,000 Citi customer accounts, including names, credit card numbers, mailing addresses and email addresses. It turns out quite easily, in fact. All they had to do was log in as a customer and change around a few numbers into the browser's URL bar, NYT reports. Facepalm.

Basically after you logged into your account as a Citi customer, the URL contained a code identifying your account. All you had to do was change around the numbers and boom, you were in someone else's account.

So if the URL was something like citibank.com/user/12345, all you had to do was change it to citibank.com/user/123456 and you had access to all of their account information.

The hackers then used a simple script that automatically scraped all the account information, saved it, and then changed the numbers in the URL and repeated the process. Hundreds of thousands of times.

As someone who has been on the internet for a few years, this is a dead simple and common hack and Citi should have seen it and prevented against it. Seriously, this is kindergarten level stuff. Really, really stupid.
    My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right, tend to be unwilling or unable to accept blame )

At least mtgox had the passwords encrypted and it took an auditor having his personal PC compromised to get to the read only database.

Don't you get tired of constantly pasting news that's really irrelevant when it comes to Bitcoin itself?
    My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right, tend to be unwilling or unable to accept blame )

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRep View Post
    The funny thing is often I'm the one accused of being a shill for Bitcoin and trying to get poeple suckered into a pyramid scheme when only I post facts about Bitcoin, I even posted about the crash, the hack, everything in that one thread of Bitcoin.

On the other hand it's actually you, FrankRep, who is a shill against Bitcoin constantly posting anything you can possibly find that would propagate any negative opinions on Bitcoin. Congrats on failing btw, since the exchanges that didn't close yesterday still have trades going on and the price is stable although lower then it was yesterday.

The $1000 max withdraw policy with MtGox resulted in the guy who's account was worth half a million only losing at most $1k before it was stopped.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It has been a wild few weeks for the Internet-based currency Bitcoin, culminating with problems at the currency's largest exchange which led to a massive selloff over the weekend. These foreseeable issues with a unregulated exchange system didn't deter some investors from buying the currency at its high, but they may be left holding a near-worthless currency, at least compared to the value a few days ago.
    Thanks for posting Frank, I too think this deserved its own thread.

Bitcoin is an experiment...I fully expect new (and improved) systems like this to arise in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by falconplayer11 View Post
    Bitcoin is an experiment...I fully expect new (and improved) systems like this to arise in the future.
    This has nothing to do with the Bitcoin protocol. Bitcoin has not failed or been hacked in any way. What has happened is that a page that used bitcoins and dollars has been hacked.

EDIT: The price of the currency did not crash as the title suggest. MtGox was unoperative with people unable to execute orders while the hackers were in control and they produced the graphic that the article is showing. In the rest of the exchanges there was convulsion but in non of them the price of bitcoins dropped under $10 (that I am aware). So its quite an stretch to say that the price of the currency crashed. It was a hacker playing with a computer. But hey! reality is only for good journalist.
    Last edited by hugolp; 06-20-2011 at 09:45 AM.

This doesn't represent any type of flaw or problem with bitcoin. There was a problem with a privately run exchange, and it is being fixed. If the exchange can't get their $#@! together, then better ones will take over. You know, kinda like a free market.

Quote Originally Posted by fatjohn View Post
    Big news if you have bitcoin or maybe even if you spent an hour or two researching what it is about. But for 99.9% of the population it is not big news.
    It is important to FrankRep that he posts every single Bitcoin FUD article or blog post he can find though. Why? Who knows, its pretty bizarre. I don't think I've seen the guy post a single thought or opinion of his own on the subject, he may well think Bitcoin was invented by Satan incarnate. He just doesn't want to stick his neck out, because when he does its about something crazy like Adam Kokesh being a Marxist agent. And in the case of Bitcoin he certainly could not compose a good argument against it himself.

ZOMG the price is now 13 dollars! Oh wait, it was thirteen dollars thirty minutes ago, now its nearly fifteen.

I sense a whole lotta butthurt in this thread. And all Frank did was post an article.

one exchange of a new currency was hacked. i don't know why i should care.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I sense a whole lotta butthurt in this thread. And all Frank did was post an article.
    we are used to hearing mindless statements from frank on this issue. consider the statement he highlights:

According to the MTGOX website, the problem has been located and fixed. All exchanges during the crash will be rolled back, meaning it is like they never happened, and the Bitcoin will magically be worth $17.50 again.
    bitcoins won't be worth $17.50. that's the price at which they'll open and in seconds the market will set a new price. there is nothing magical about it.

more laughs from the article:

So much for an absence of currency manipulation.
    i don't really need to explain why this statement is so full of fail. but i guess i will anyway: no sane person ever said bitcoin was free of manipulation by private individuals. people can buy a lot, then sell, for any reason they want. the only claim is that governments can't manipulate it in ways they manipulate dollars, such as increasing the supply of money. the sarcastic line is about a straw man, and it doesn't ridicule those whom the author intends to ridicule.
    Last edited by low preference guy; 06-20-2011 at 03:13 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post
    we are used to hearing mindless statements from frank on this issue. consider the statement he highlights:

bitcoins won't be worth $17.50. that's the price at which they'll open and in seconds the market will set a new price. there is nothing magical about it.
    That seems like a fairly innocuous part to become butthurt about. Is it the word "magical" that offends you? How should it have been phrased?
    Personally, this sounds like a testament to the system and how they had procedures in place to rollback transactions/rectify errors without any needed government oversight/regulations. It very well could be spun as a positive message.

Is there a way to short Bitcoins?
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Oh yeah, just look at how butthurt everyone using Bitcoin is right now: http://bitcoinity.org/markets?theme=light

We got decimated.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    Is there a way to short Bitcoins?
    There is: https://bitoption.org/

Good luck.

My bet is that FrankRep will be use bitcoins within two years. Bitcoin is just convenient.

That seems like a fairly innocuous part to become butthurt about. Is it the word "magical" that offends you? How should it have been phrased?
    Personally, this sounds like a testament to the system and how they had procedures in place to rollback transactions/rectify errors without any needed government oversight/regulations. It very well could be spun as a positive message.
    If you read all of our posts about FrankRep's threads you'd know exactly why we are as you say "butthurt" about them.

it's not offensive, just facepalm inducing.

It very well could be spun as a positive message.
    if you read the next line, which i added to my previous post, you'll see purpose of the author and how he fails at it.
    Last edited by low preference guy; 06-20-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post
    it's not offensive, just facepalm inducing.
    fair enough. If the article is full of fail, then the best response would be to counter it with information, not get mad at the OP. I don't think he wrote it.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    fair enough. If the article is full of fail, then the best response would be to counter it with information, not get mad at the OP. I don't think he wrote it.
    probably the best is to just ignore it. i only responded to posts from others.

I did here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post3352103

I still don't really understand why bitcoins have value. Dollars are backed by a government and gold has 2000+ years worth of value as a currency. I just don't get it.
    What I say is for entertainment purposes only!

Mark 10:45 The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.

"If you want to make a lot of money, resist diversification." - Jim Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by cubical View Post

I still don't really understand why bitcoins have value. Dollars are backed by a government and gold has 2000+ years worth of value as a currency. I just don't get it.
    you can exchange them for goods or services?
    Those Who Do Not Move, Do Not Notice Their Chains.

Quote Originally Posted by teacherone View Post
    you can exchange them for goods or services?
    But why do people accept them? It seems like it is just a fad that will be gone next year. I don't see any difference between them and monopoly money. Will a super computer one day own all the wealth?
    What I say is for entertainment purposes only!

Mark 10:45 The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.

"If you want to make a lot of money, resist diversification." - Jim Rogers

"It seems like it is just a fad that will be gone next year'

+1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast